Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Unprovoked Shark Bite Research

New Unprovoked Shark Bite Research

Australia has recorded the highest number of fatal shark bites globally over the past three decades, as the number of unprovoked bites increased threefold, new research by Bond University shows.
    The report, which will be published this week in international scientific journal, Coastal Management, reveals 32 fatal shark bites had been documented in Australia between 1982 and 2011, more than South Africa, where there were 28 fatalities, or the United States, which recorded 25.

Associate Professor Daryl McPhee, who undertook the research, said there was a total of 171 unprovoked bites in Australia during that period, compared with 769 in the United States and 132 in South Africa.
    "Of the six countries where shark bites are most prevalent, Australia actually recorded the fourth lowest percentage of bites that were fatal at 18.7 per cent, despite having the highest number of total fatalities," he said.

"In comparison, the United States has by far the highest number of recorded bites but also the lowest percentage of fatalities, at just 3.6 per cent, which is likely to be because of a higher level of reporting of incidents, while Reunion, a small country located south of Mauritius, had the least attacks of the six countries, but the highest fatality rate at 51.6 per cent."
    Associate Professor McPhee said the high number of fatalities in shark bite victims in Australia could be attributed to a number of factors.

"Australians have an obvious love and affinity with the water, so the high level of usage undoubtedly plays a part," he said.

"The type and size of sharks found in Australian waters is also believed to be a factor, with the white shark behind the highest number of unprovoked shark bites globally and prevalent here.
    "Where the species responsible could be identified, the white shark was responsible for 41 of the 171 recorded bites over the period of the study, with 46.3 per cent of these proving fatal, with white, tiger and bull sharks behind the majority of unprovoked bites."

Associate Professor McPhee said the reasons behind the increasing number of bites and fatalities was complex and the next phase of the study would look more closely into 'hot spots' globally.
    "While an increase in the human population clearly plays a role, it cannot explain the observations entirely," he said.

"Changes to the species habitat use or behaviour as a result of both natural events and because of human activity is also likely to play a role.

"For example, an increase in the population of humpback whales and the New Zealand fur seal in Australian waters, including in Western Australian where there has been recent fatal shark bites, is believed to be a potential factor as the presence of this marine life potentially attracts more sharks to these areas."

In Australia, surfers were bitten more than any other recreational water user, with 63 surfers suffering shark bites, compared with 44 swimmers and 26 scuba divers.

However, only 15.8 per cent of surfers suffered fatal injuries, compared with 34.6 per cent of scuba divers and 33.3 per cent of snorkelers.

"Scuba divers suffer a greater number of bites to the head and torso, as their whole body is submerged in the water, while surfers are more likely to receive less fatal bites to the limbs," said Associate Professor McPhee.
    "However, overall it is important to remember that despite numbers increasing, unprovoked shark bites still remain an extremely infrequent event with, for example, 129 people drowning on Australian surf beaches between 2001 and 2005 alone.

“The fear of a shark bite is out of all proportion to the actual risk posed.

“Unfortunately Hollywood in particular has created an inaccurate impression that there are sinister 'rogue' sharks waiting around every corner to 'attack' an unsuspecting human. This is simply not true.”
    Associate Professor McPhee said the fear of shark bites could drive governments to enact expensive shark control programs.

"These not only kill sharks but other marine animals including dugong and marine turtles," he said.

“Instead of shark control programs, governments should focus investment on non-lethal alternatives including public education.

"We need to focus on actions that facilitate early warning of an enhanced local risk, improve information flow to allow people to make better informed decisions about going into the water at certain times and locations, and increase our understanding of the habitat use of sharks commonly implicated in unprovoked bites."

The next phase of the study, due to be completed next year, will look at the data in further detail, complementing it with evidence from scientists in 'hot spots' to get a better understanding of why unprovoked shark bites are more prevalent in some areas.

Re: New Unprovoked Shark Bite Research

1.06 attacks a year over 30years is really F all
    by far the largest majority of those were in southern waters, this makes it very safe for us in northern waters with the highest per capita swimming days available (climate influenced)
    I like his comparison to drownings which brings it further into perspective
    IFISHCQ2

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    1.06 attacks a year over 30years is really F all
    by far the largest majority of those were in southern waters, this makes it very safe for us in northern waters with the highest per capita swimming days available (climate influenced)
    I like his comparison to drownings which brings it further into perspective
    Yeah, you only need to be concerned with crocs and iragangi and box jelly up north,

I like the way they're calling them shark "bites". It's about time they took the sensationalised BS out of it.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Yeah, you only need to be concerned with crocs and iragangi and box jelly up north,
    Bondy, north of Tweed is north to me
    IFISHCQ2

Keep protecting the large ocean predators and catching everything else this is what happens their got to eat something, I've got areas i fish that if you drop your hat or anything over the side it's eaten, protecting the large sharks has had no affect on small shark recruitment it's only giving something else for the sharks to feed on.
    I've got thousands of spots up and down the coast and I'd be lucky to have many that aren't riddled with sharks, it's about time pencil pushes get out there and do some proper research taking biopsies and blood samples does shit all.
    Piss the shark nets off and let any body silly enough to even out the harvest do it and we will have a lot more balanced and sustainable fishery.

Hi Aussiebasher,

The terminology I have used of "unprovoked shark bite" is deliberate. My analysis of the data excluded provoked incidents of which there were a lot including divers patting and pulling the tails of wobbegongs, taking the hook out of a caught shark and being bitten, carrying a "dead" shark by the mouth (yes that occurred) etc.

Daryl

Thanks Daryl,
    We normally see things in the press referring to Shark "attacks", it is refreshing to see the sensationalism taken out of it. Thankyou. It's the same as the use of the term shark (or crocodile) "infested" waters.
    Dale

According to just about every news report in the country today, yet another person has been either stalked, attacked, mauled, or even savagely attacked by a Great White Shark. I guess reporting that he was bitten on the upper leg which resulted in a puncture of the femoral artery just doesn't quite look sensational enough. Condolences to the family of the deceased.
    Dale

Thank you Dale. My condolences too to the family and friends of the deceased.

When I surfed all the time many years ago the few places I felt something watching was Tallows and The Pass at Byron then Frenchmans to Deadmans on Straddy
    Moreton never worried me at all and we would rave about how safe it was until a fellow got taken just up from our shack a couple of minutes after we left the water
    still all in all more chance of drowning than getting bit
    IFISHCQ2

Yes. Between 2001 and 2006 on Australian surfing beaches there were 126 drownings but only 5 unprovoked fatal shark bites.

If anyone does want the full copy of the scientific article (as opposed to just reading the press release), send me a PM. I can't post the full article here due to copyright.

Daryl, just curious - the research refers to "unprovoked" shark attacks. Fine!

But, is there such a thing as a "provoked" shark attack? And, who would be silly enough to do that?!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Indeed there is Grant. A number of the provoked incidents involve fishermen removing hooks from landed sharks or trying to free them from nets, or being bitten on the foot or leg by a shark in the bottom of the boat. A number also involve divers or snorkelers harassing them, and a number are from people diving and swimming with captive sharks.

There are also incidents where sharks have bitten someone after they have died from drowning. There have also been a number of people forced overboard to be fed to sharks in Somalia/Yemen but reliable details on the veracity of this is not available.