Thread: Catching A DINOSAUR Alligator Gar From Kayak

Catching A DINOSAUR Alligator Gar From Kayak

Catching an alligator gar near 100 pounds on the trinity river near crockett Tx from my 9 foot malibu mini x kayak. i was using cut carp for bait, the rod/reel used was a shimano trevalla jigging rod rated for up to 200# braid with a shimano tyrnos 16 loaded with 100# braid. the fish swam away healthy to fight another day, alligator gar are some of the oldest fish on the planet with fossils records showing them living during the cretaceous period..the Trinity river is a crazy environment i have fallen in love with i will be making another trip soonfound this big catfish with a bite taken out of it, as i took this pic i look over and see a 8 foot gar 5 feet from the kayak at the surface looking at me..ended up hooking it for about a minute..           

Re: Catching A DINOSAUR Alligator Gar From Kayak

Excellent when there mouth is open they look like a alligator head on,great catch Sharkbait.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Pretty cool mate. Out of interest why do you keep dropping the drag back? Is that to stop it from jumping?

Quote Originally Posted by scuttlebutt View Post
    Pretty cool mate. Out of interest why do you keep dropping the drag back? Is that to stop it from jumping?
    im under 250 pounds including the little yak and gear i move across the water really fast when tight to big fish like that..the river gets pretty shallow in places and the gar can jump when ever..i was mostly trying to get some distance in between the fish and i..i figure you can add drag with your thumb if you need it but its hard to put less drag on a reel really fast..been trying to land one from the bank to stay a bit safer, hooked a 150 pound gar from the bank last trip, it was pretty impressive but lost it to an underwater tree..

we had a big storm come through, having to wait for the river to go back down some before i can head back..

the gar thing is kinda new for me, they fascinated me as a kid but i hadnt caught one till this year..i was fishing the coast for the last 4 years in a kayak offshore of texas(put 40 trips in one year offshore from a kayak), but moved this year away from the coast about 2 hours..the big gar are pretty much all over the state and i have been putting my skills to the test against them..they really are neat prehistoric fish
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"

what sort of camera where you using?

gopro hero 3 on headmount
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"