Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Small/Medium SUV

Which Small/Medium SUV

Hi all,

The lease on my Grand Cherokee is finishing next year. The need for a large car has gone as the teenagers now have their own car so I am looking to downsize. The car will predominantly be used around town but I want the ability to hit the beach (fraser and teewah) half a dozen times a year without having to rely on another vehicle to be towing me out. I am in a position where novated lease works for me so I am looking at new vehicles only. Budget is probably around the 40k mark.

Just to make things difficult there are a couple of things that are going to be ruled out:

Subaru Forester - the missus hated it in 2011 when we last looked. I doubt much has changed.
    Any Ute: Prior to the Jeep - we had a Navara previously and can't see us going back down this track
    FJ Cruiser - While the look and ability of this attracts me - the missus said I will be sleeping in it permanently if i get one.
    7 seaters - don't have a need for anything that big and prefer cargo area for fishing/kayaking gear.

What I need to know has anyone taken any of the current model AWD's on the beach and how did you go?

Looking at RAV4, the new cherokee (non trailhawk - too exy), kuga?, Xtrail, maybe sportage. I guess the grand vitara should be in the mix also but last time I looked their finish & features were way behind the competition.

The challenger looks to be about the same size as a grand cherokee, so while capable I'd be happy enough with another jeep GC at that size.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Which Small/Medium SUV

Sube outback or TriBeCa (same platform). Don't need 7 seats take the outback. At least the subes have a proper awd system that won't stop when it heats up or switches off every time you hit 40 kmh. The autos have torque sensing diffs which will send drive to a single wheel with traction. Only used our TriBeCa in marginal conditions once and it was sensational. Clearance is always going to be an issue on any beach at times in any SUV styled vehicle. The Santa Fe is another I'd have a squizz at.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Hyundai Santa Fe
    Cheers

Steven

Daughters Santa Fe just smashed its transmission at 55k driving home from woolworths......gonna be very exy by the sounds.
    Jack.

Sorento perhaps.

The Challenger would be the best of the lot in terms of handling the beach, and heaps cheaper than a new Grand Cherokee (also a bit smaller I thought), but would be the worst of the lot around town.
    I can't see any of the alternatives being great on the beach but the rav, xtrail, sorento should get you through ok. Not sure about the kuga (tiny), sportage or cherokee. They'd be in my 2nd tier but that's just personal opinion. Forester would definitely be in the mix if it wasn't ruled out.

Anything without a genuine low range will be left wanting at some point in time. Have seen/assisted a few over the years in the soft stuff - usually manuals that have somewhat warmed up their clutches. The other issue with the small to mediums as already raised is clearance or rather the lack of it. If you choose to go to the beach the same weekend as the big boys - take a shovel. If you do go down the path of something like a Rav or similar, i would never fall into the trap of trying to snatch another vehicle out. Really good way to do nasty things to the lighter vehicles. Me personally - I would be thinking closer to mid size than small with a low range as a starting point - Cherokee, Wagon version of the Colorado(Whatever that is called), Challenger. Either that or get the cheese & kisses a nice car and buy an old banger for the beach.

my missus has an auto xtrail. ive taken it up Bribie and Inskip / Rainbow many times without any issues at all other than a little overheating. Never been bogged, just gotta be wary of bottoming out
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

bang for buck and genuine capable 4x4 Mitsu Challenger.

Hello Lazybugger,

Buy a Mazda MX5 sportscar for the missus, she will love you forever.
    Then buy a $10000 Pajero for the beach.
    Win win.

Mazda CX5 diesel. Doesn't have the 4WD but is AWD and is just a miles better car than the koreans.

Not had mine off-road, but it drives like a car on the road and easily gets around 7l/100ks city driving. I am 6ft6 in the old money and find it a comfortable, roomy car to drive.

Tows the 1.2 tonne Surtees easily with its 420nm torque., and best of all, the fuel economy is still under 12/100ks. Pulls the boat out of dodgy ramps such as Carbrook at low tide without blinking. Very pleased with mine.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

+1 for the xtrail. Best value for money, has the low range, never been stuck, better clearance than most small SUVs. Shipload of room, six pack fits in the chilled glovebox.
    We've had one for 2 1/2 years and still yet to find anything I don't like about it.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by pipifin View Post
    +1 for the xtrail. Best value for money, has the low range, never been stuck, better clearance than most small SUVs. Shipload of room, six pack fits in the chilled glovebox.
    We've had one for 2 1/2 years and still yet to find anything I don't like about it.
    Since when has an x-trail had low range? Does it really?

Isuzu MUX?
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    Since when has an x-trail had low range? Does it really?
    I have an older Xtrail (2007) - I don't believe any Xtrail has low range, they have "lock" mode but it only works under set speed and for a short period. eg: Set to "Lock" to tow up a boat ramp, get on/off the beach, in/out of a bog. After that - set to auto AWD and go... The Xtrail is surprisingly capable and has a good following with parts and info easily obtainable. Many take them to the beach with no problems except clearance on heavily rutted tracks.

The suzuki has a proper low range and my in-laws recently sold their '90s vitara for a new one and love them - very capable in a small package - with solid reputation... don't hear many disappointed suzuki owners.

Test drive them all and see what you like

Cheers,
    Shane

Thanks for the tips guys. Xtrail is definitely on the test drive list. I like the look of Mux but not sure i can justify a 7 seater. I feel like i am paying for a row that would never be used. I will probably give the challenger a test drive too.

We are only a one car family as the missus doesn't drive. Over half my km's are spent driving to either coast with the yak on the roof so i'd rather get something comfy then a beach only clunker. Call me old. One thing i admit to loving on the GC is the heated seats on the drive home after 4-5 hours paddling the kayak.