Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tld 25 combo

Re: Tld 25 combo

You can't beat a deal like that
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Very interested to see what those rods actually look like. There is a 30lb version as well if you wanted it. Give Josh from Dinga a call and see if he would swap? He is very approachable and helpful.

Thanks mate. I asked him. He said the 50lb was actually rated 30-50 so will suit nicely.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

OK Got the gear. Feels great. Nice set up. The rod is pretty stiff, so Im thinking why not use the 30lb braid on another reel, and get some serious thread on the Squall.!! Yeeha! I am thinking about Fitzroy next year and off shore down in SEQ this year, so Im thinking this thing will hold onto Kingies if they dont have much structure to run to and I load for bear ...so Penn say you can have 65lb at 625 yards. of braid..is that poundage overkill or just being sensible in terms of what might likely grab my jig or lure etc? I would backfill with 60lb mono I have at home - old Jarvis stuff that is as thick as a straw.

Cheers

Mate just as a bit of a guide I got 450 ish metres of 15kg Platypus Lo Stretch mono on mine. Don't know what the dia is but would assume most decent 65lb braid would be thinner?

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

As per the website, max drag for that reel is rated at 18lb, or just over 8kg. Unless you're going to do something to the drag system or are ready for burnt thumbs, anything over 30lb line is going to be wasted.

Looks like a great deal though.

I use 60lb Mono for kings on Penn.
    If using braid have a long leader, you will need a bit of stretch for the initial 30secs if fishing close to structure.
    Hand on the reel to increase drag if fishing close to structure, decent size kings will take line out during the initial run.

Thanks guys I think I will go 50 pound as a good compromise. As you say mate you can put your hand on the reel to get more drag.

Cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Fair call. Good safety margin buit in there. When I first started fishing the reefs up here I was using a tld25 and measured the max drag on it. Came out at 8kg. 50lb braid was (and still is) the standard. Never a hope of breaking the line off the reel. I've tried the thumb on spool idea before though, and it's harder than it sounds.

Anyway, now I use a Tyrnos. More drag, faster retrieve, better handle, double dog anti-reverse. Just thinking out aloud, still reckon that Penn Squall deal looks good.

600 yard of 50lb braid and spool only at 2/3rds full mark....could go another 200 comfortably. Feels great. Comes with seat bracket and fitting hardware. Feels great

Cheers