Thread: Removing splashwell after pod/hull extension

Removing splashwell after pod/hull extension

Hey guys,

Mate of mine just purchased a haines 213c which is the outboard version of this classic boat.

He wants to pod it or extend it but the question is, what is required structurally of the splashwell??!

Is it possible to cut the splashwell out after the pod and build a straight upright at the location of the existing transom??

My only concern is how much bracing support the splashwell holds?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Removing splashwell after pod/hull extension

I guess it depends on a lot of things, is he going to raise the transom to be full height? that looks like it has some sort of home made adapter to fit an XL motor to an L transom, if the entire transom was raised to full height across the stern, and the pod fitted to that, then it should be fine to remove the splash well

His plan is to raise the transom to the full height and then have a full width pod installed. Similar to a setup you would see on a converted stern drive with a pod. The splashwell takes up so much deck space and we don't see the necessity of it of there is a pod installed and a full height transom to the height of the gunwales.

Worth looking at the way Cootacraft and Edencraft do it with a half pod. It seems to suit the HH type hulls.

I would happily cut out the splash well. Add a new 6" wide gunnel top match the sides and return down a little.

Only thing to check is the old knee brace height.

Is the pod going to be bolt on or built out of solid glass structure?

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

i cut my splashwell out completely raised the transom to gunnel height and then built
    a new gunnel , with the knee brace i made them wider and raised them all the way up
    and fitted a live bait tank in between them.

all the work was checked and done on advise from a marine surveyor, it would be wise to
    contact one and get it inspected as the work is done then he can have the new transom
    re-rated for insurance purposes .

I used nick lockyer and it cost me $375 for the inspections ( 4 ) and the new build
    plate for the boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes mate that's exactly what we after. Just worried about removing the support of the top part of the splashwell that hold the gunnels together.. Suppose the question is, is it this section or the transom that is structurally required to hold the sides together?? Or both?

A lot more deck room that's for sure

I have the same boat and am considering the same mods. Would be great if you can post pics all the way to completion