Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Fuel Quality

Diesel Fuel Quality

Hey guys
    Been thinking about diesel fuel quality lately - As a first time owner of a CR turbo diesel I have noticed the difference in engine noise (esp on start up) between fuel from different servos's. Is this an issue ? have some Q? for some of the more experienced operators.

Are some diesel brands better than others ?
    Is there a "preium" or high performance diesel fuel?
    Are fuel additives a good idea?
    Where do you buy your diesel?
    I see lots of different "diesel Filter kits" that are better than OME filters, is there any truth in this? (why couldn't you just buy a better filter and use the factory filter assembley and fuel lines which would seem much easier to me?

What is a good micron level for a diesel filter?

Sorry for all the newby type questions but diesel is a new world to me.

BigE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Diesel Fuel Quality

ive ran caltex premium diesel in my 08 lux since I bought it. ive put 115000 kms so far and still good. for the couple of cents more it seems to be very clean.
    I always buy from the same place. so if I get dirty fuel I know where to go

Hi BigE

Not sure where you are but try this diesel. I get mine from the depot and its the stuff the trucks use.

Mine seems to run better on it and also seem to get some extra kms per tank. Two of my girls have late model turbo diesel cars too and they also find theirs seem to run better on this as well http://www.neumannpetroleum.com.au/

I was told by the depot that they direct import all their diesel and also that they do not add a pecentage of bio-diesel to it as the local crews do.
    The truckies apparently wont have a bar of the bio diesel as they lose kms/ 100lts and threatened to go elsewhere if they sold it to them? Probably has the same negative impact as E10 which is also lacking in heat units too.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Caltex votex diesel is mostly what I use or bp premium diesel ,it's just what I've been told to use buy experienced diesel users ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I used to notice about a 50km per tank difference between caltex vortex and other standard diesel in my 98 hilux. I have since gotten a new turbo diesel and only put vortex in.

I have also been advised by my mechanic who installed the gas to my diesel land cruiser (diesel gas) that caltex & BP are the best & cleanest diesel. I was also having problems with the gas filter getting clogged when I filled up at stations that sold cheaper gas & diesel like the one starting with "M" so I always stick to caltex & BP. I have wondered if Shell is OK but not sure. I believe Costco get their fuel from Shell.

thanks guys seems like "oils aint oils " general consences seems to be BP / Caltex for better quality diesel. I may have change servo's.

Big E

Ive used caltex vortex in my navara since it was brand new. Now has 130 000km, and believe it or not, its still on the origional fuel filter! (Now that Ive said that, I'll go change it before ol mate aka "Murphy" gets involved).
    Also, only use caltex 95 in my outboards. 1600 hours, and havnt had a drop of water. (Water seperators/filters replace @ 500hr intervals)
    One thing though, I never fuel up if I see the fuel truck at a servo. Ive heard it may stir up bad things from the bottom of their tanks. Not sure if its true though.

My vehicles get caltex vortex diesel only because I have star cards for the work vehicles.....havent had a problem yet and economy is reasonable.
    Plus diesels remain a fairly constant price too 154.9 to 156.9c/L.
    I generally fill up at the unmanned truck fuel spots where there is never a lineup and they are high flow pumps too, better than a litre/second.
    Jack.

Blog Entries

Similar to Tunaticer I have a lease vehicle and fuel card but I use BP. My Triton just ticked over 120k klms and haven't had an issue

I do about 60,000k's a year in my 2013 Common Rail diesel Collie.

I avoid Caltex as much as possible. Drops my fuel economy and performance.... physically noticable.

BP so far has been the best.

FWIW I have had a Diesel Care ( http://www.dieselcare.com.au/filtration-systems ) filter to my vehicle.

It has a 2 micron filter as opposed to the standard 2 x 10 microns in the Collies. This is placed pre motor but after the standard inline filters and installed under the bonnet for ease of inspection.

I also use Shell fuels with no problems..

good luck

Cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Why do you avoid caltex Phill?

Quote Originally Posted by mull dog View Post
    Why do you avoid caltex Phill?
    as in my post..........." Drops my fuel economy and performance.... physically noticable."

cheers
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I have seen reports on 4x4 forums where people have done the research and BP always comes up as having higher values than the others and gives better performance and economy. Dont ask me the technicalities but apparently the verifiable data shows this to be true.

I use Caltex in my Mazda CX5 diesel but only because that's the company fuel card supplier. Seems to run fine. My brother has the same car (private car) and having done the research, will only use BP.

When traveling with a mate who uses Shell in his V8 diesel cruiser, (company Shell fuel card), it is very noticeable how frothy the Shell is compared with Caltex and BP. It gets all over your hands when refuelling, very messy stuff. He has resorted to putting on those disposable clear gloves before he even touches the pump. Diesel is very hard to get the smell and traces off your hands.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

L Phill

Can you undertake a trial for me / us ?

I use what was Neumann's fuel and that was recently sold to Puma and is available ex depot or from Matilda servos.

Given the kms you do, how about sticking a tank or two of the Puma / Matilda thru yours and seeing how it compares to your diesel of choice.

I and my girls find we get smoother running and more kms with it cf to other diesel eg 7 11 etc etc .

Be good to get some definitive results and with your swish extra filtration we can see just how clean various products really are.

Thanks in anticipation.......

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................