Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fisheries Review invite. 2014

Fisheries Review invite. 2014

Invitation to fisheries review public consultation meeting

Queenslanders interested in the future management of the state’s fisheries are encouraged to attend their local public consultation meeting, hosted by independent consultants MRAG Asia Pacific.

Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Minister McVeigh today announced the dates for a series of public consultation meetings on the fisheries review in major ports and locations in Queensland.

It is important all fishing sectors, as well as other community groups with an interest in fishing, provide input into the review.

The meeting dates and locations are:

Location*
    Date
    Time
    Venue
    Gold Coast
    Wednesday 20 August
    5-7pm
    Nerang Bicentennial Community Centre (Main Hall), 833 Nerang Southport Rd, Nerang
    Mooloolaba
    Thursday 21 August
    5-7pm
    Lake Kawana Community Centre (Room 5-7), 114 Sportsmans Pde, Bokarina
    Wynnum
    Saturday 23 August
    9-11am
    Wynnum Hall,Cnr Bay Tce & Cedar St, Wynnum
    Redcliffe
    Saturday 23 August
    2-4pm
    Redcliffe QCWA Hall, Redcliffe Pde, Redcliffe
    Rockhampton
    Tuesday 26 August
    5-7pm
    DAFF Conference Centre, Parkhurst, North Rockhampton
    Gladstone
    Wednesday 27 August
    5-7pm
    Gladstone Entertainment and Convention Centre, Conf room “A”, 58 Goondoon St, Gladstone
    Bundaberg
    Thursday 28 August
    5-7pm
    Bundaberg Civic Centre, Supper Room, 190 Bourbong St, Bundaberg
    Hervey Bay
    Friday 29 August
    5-7pm
    Hervey Bay High School Hall, Beach Rd, Pialba
    Tin Can Bay
    Saturday 30 August
    10am-12pm
    Tin Can Bay Community Centre, Tin Can Bay Rd
    Cairns
    Monday 8 September
    5-7pm
    Cairns State High School, “N” block Science Auditorium, Upward St, Cairns
    Innisfail
    Tuesday 9 September
    5-7pm
    Innisfail Concert Hall/Shire Hall, Rankin St, Innisfail
    Townsville
    Saturday 13 September
    9-11am
    Townsville Show Grounds, Large Functions room, 72 – 104 Ingham Rd, Townsville
    Bowen
    Sunday 14 September
    10am-12pm
    Bowen State High School, 1-9 Argyle Park Road, Bowen
    Mackay
    Monday 15 September
    6-8pm
    PCYC Hall, Mackay, Off Norris Rd, North Mackay
    Karumba
    Sunday 12 October
    9-11am
    Karumba Civic Centre, Karumba
    *Burketown and Thursday Island meeting dates are to be scheduled.
    The meetings are an important forum for anyone interested in the future management of fisheries as it offers the opportunity to provide input into the review.

MRAG Asia Pacific will also be accepting written submissions via email at
    qldfisheriesreview@mragap.com.au.

Written submissions close on Thursday, 30 October at 5pm.

MRAG Asia Pacific can be contacted on 3371 1500 or email info@mragasiapacific.com.au
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Fisheries Review invite. 2014

It will be awesome if you happen to be a Commercial Fisherman.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

hi Aussie,
    why will it be awesome if you fish commercial?

See the posts in the General Forum. The Committee has been loaded with Commercial fishing representatives, 7 of them. The meetings are all being held in Coastal towns so the Pro's can attend easily. Not one lousy consultation meeting will be held inland of Nerang! If you're in Emerald, Roma, Goondiwindi, or Toowoomba you have to drive to the coast to attend a meeting. The decisions have been made, and they are now just ticking the "Public Consultation" box. Some boffin at DAFF has really screwed this one up, and shown their disregard for Recreational Freshwater Anglers.
    Dale

aussie I just read the chat,
    I still don't get what you are saying about commercial fishing. you are obviously passionate about fishing most guys are but, "the complete end to inland fishery" sounds a wee bit dramatized. Now the "pro's" most I know wont even go because of the shamble's they can become because of the rec vs pro stigma. sounds like you need to read a book called "Salt of the Sea" just released by Dave Dawson on the sunshine coast it has some "Facts" in there that may surprise you about commercial fishing, and also a look into the story's and lives of people who have fished their whole life but are leaving the industry, the book also donates $5.00 from each sale to physically challenged kids on the coast.

Half way thrpough reading this Warrigul & it is fantastic, well written, very good technical back up & great images.

Well worth a read guys.

Tony

Warrigul, our freshwater fishery is based on the time and efforts of volunteer groups and the current Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme (SIPS). The Fisheries Department have long cried poor over the fact that they can only get 25% of the funds from the SIPS and the remaining 75% must be spent on Fingerlings. I have been involved in a Volunteer stocking group for the past 15 years. I'm a Life Member and the current President of the Somerset Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association Inc. I give my time, and my money to assist with releasing fish and maintaining the group so that it passes audit each year to remain within the strict guidelines on the SIPS. Fisheries want the SIPS gone and they want a state wide Angling License in its place. There is no way that the Freshwater fisheries can be maintained by half a dozen blokes running chook raffles at the local pub when the SIPS funds are gone. We will spend around $127,000 on fingerlings this year, and even that is not enough to stock the dams to their recommended levels. We've just made a substantial donation to the Gerry Cook Fish Hatchery so that they can continue to operate and produce Mary River Cod fingerlings, because Fisheries won't help them out. Maybe I'm being a little over dramatic, but it is a bloody insult to all the volunteers who give their best to maintain a fishery and are then expected to drive hours to attend a meeting to submit something to a Committee that has been loaded with Commercial representatives. Somebody within Fisheries has screwed up here, and I'm just trying to put it right. I've already heard back from one MP who is annoyed that no meeting will be held in her electorate, which happens to include quite a few Stocked Impoundments.
    My fight has been and always will be to take Recreational Angling out from under the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry and have it covered by the Department of Tourism or the Department of Sports and Recreation. That way two ministers can control the fishery instead of just the one who only sees the money made by commercial fishermen and doesn't care about the money spent by recreational anglers.
    Dale

I wasn't dismissing the freshwater fishery Dale, just the fact that the majority of consultation issues are likely to be marine based.
    However you are clearly concerned about the removal of the SIPS and you know it is on the agenda so you have to ask yourself if attending the consultation would be of any value to you. That being the case, then you would be best of not wasting time at the meeting and concentrating that time on putting together a written submission with your concerns as is offered in the Invitation.

True Cam, and I will, however with a meeting in the local area I could get a hundred Freshwater anglers to attend, just like the Pro's will do with meetings stacked in their back yards. You see how easy it is to sway public opinion? You just make it too hard for the ones you don't want to attend. My local MP has advised that she's trying to get at least one meeting in her area which includes Wivenhoe, Somerset, Cressbrook and a bit of Bjelke Petersen. I'm not just sitting on my arse like most of the people will.
    Dale

hi Aussie, firstly a big pat on the back to you, and your efforts with stocking. you make some valid points and I totally agree if government gets their hands on the fees, yup they will be lost, just look at the driving permits imposed on everyone to drive on north shore to double island point on the coast, plenty of revenue for zilch! Getting a crowd together, local papers to cover the story, with letters to the relevant authorities but more importantly publishing the response to your concerns from said authorities, but government body's make Shane Warne look like a amateur with their spin on words.

I also agree that rec fishing is a huge economic force, it very much is sport and recreation, but one thing I don't like about your posts is the overtone of negativity against the commercial sector, I will admit I know very little about inner workings of Qld fisheries the "stacked" boards you refer to, but blaming a group because it is better organised to me is pointless, I relate it to a local plant nursery whining about bunnings coming into their area, whining about bunnings is negative pointless practise, but focusing on their business, their efforts with customer service, advertising etc is where their focus should be.
    Other than that, mate I reckon there is not enough blokes like you. question, how much support / donations do you get from company's who's brands are prevalent in the fishery ie tackle company's, boat etc? Are there honour boards at boat ramps with their company name and logo on it with there year's donation to that dam? just thinking out loud about other revenue opportunities.
    getting a prominent sporting person on board would be needed as a face for the political push for the rec sector. getting good news story's for media re kids releasing fingerlings into dams after a educational fun bbq lunch "fan fare" should be attached to every fingerling release. media is the only way to sway politicians, they are all only popularity contest winners which is always a vulnerable position.

I'm not negative about Commercial Fishing at all, I just believe that this review committee has been stacked;
    The Ministerial Advisory Committee members are:

• Mr David Bateman - Recreational fisher, Chair, Sunfish Queensland
    • Mr Stephen Murphy - Commercial fisher, Southern Trawl fishery
    • Mr John Page - Commercial fisher, Net fishery
    • Mr Edwin Morrisson - Commercial fisher, Northern Trawl fishery
    • Ms Claudine Ward - Commercial fisher, Secretary of the Gulf of Carpentaria Commercial Fishermen Association
    • Ms Karen Collard - Commercial fisher, Chair, Queensland Seafood Industry Association
    • Mr Neil Green - Commercial fisher, Net and Crab fishery
    • Mr Les Kowitz - Recreational fisher, Executive Officer, Freshwater Fishing and Stocking Association of Queensland
    • Mr Andrew Tobin - Fisheries scientist and commercial fisher, Line fishery
    • Ms Sian Breen - Fishing and conservation expertise
    • Mr Chris Calogeras - Aquaculture, Chair, FRDC Indigenous Reference Network
    • Mr Matt Barwick - Recreational fisher, Queensland Fisheries Research Advisory Board

Does anything look a bit suss to you here?
    Matt Barwick has done some great work interstate looking at the value of recreational angling, but he's only one man, employed by DAFF.
    Sian Breen is with the WWF.
    Dale

A little more info:

Who will be responsible for the review?

The Agriculture Committee of Cabinet will oversee the review process, supported by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry.

How can you get involved?

You are encouraged to have your say on fisheries management by attending a public consultation meeting, hosted by the independent consultants, MRAG Asia Pacific.

What will happen to existing fishery reviews?

The current review of the crab fishery will not proceed given the scope of the new review.
    Elements of the trawl fishery review will still be considered (e.g. changes to effort levels and controls on interactions with protected species) to maintain Commonwealth export accreditation.
    The East Coast Net Buyback will continue.
    The recreational freshwater fishing and line fishery review will still be considered.
    Dale

hi Aussie, mate 12 reps, 6 commercial covering different sectors, 6 reps covering non commercial??
    you seem to know your stuff, you would also know the commercial sector in Qld has undergone a major reduction in L1 line license from about 1200 down to 240 there about. so your not alone getting the pine apple.
    24 years ago I used to sell fishing tackle out that way at Charltons tackle, the fresh water scene was only getting started. The real focus for me would go along the lines of (and by the way I have no knowledge what so ever about the statistics ) 10,000 bass released 5000 live, 2000 are caught and released in years to come. I want to catch one so I buy a boat, a rod and reel, a couple of lures, some worms, line, hooks, sinkers, tow bar or new car for towing, insurance, rego, petrol, oil, safety gear, some mags and dvds on how to catch them. I catch one and its a win. That one fish, what it is worth to economy is staggering. Of course the process is not now repeated for each trip but more tackle, bigger boats, more fuel, bigger rego's, bigger insurance all equals more stamp duty, more gst and employment for all industry's involved. Yes it is important, your work and that of your loyal workers. together the rec sector would have more muscle the hulk, and a super force, but that's the problem "together". If only the numbers that fish came together!
    "UNITE THE CLANS" maybe Mel Gibson in brave heart was onto something, its not too different from the rec sector.

in the end, just make a submission no matter how small or big etc etc. here is my contribution.

I would have made it longer but too much can be an issue I reckon.

Submission to Queensland Fisheries on request via the Review 2014.

Funding of the Recreational Fishery in Queensland.

The RUF is an ideal solution for utilising funds to support all recreational fishing infrastructure, administration and management. Further funding can be gained via Private Investment backed by taxation incentives.

A Viable Fishery.

This word “ viable “ gets bandied around a lot and depends on who you ask has different meanings, but as far as recreational fishing goes, it has one meaning.... sustainable. To create a sustainable recreational fishery there has to be many management undertakings aimed specifically at the recreational fishing industry.

1. Funding and deployment of a vast artificial reef system covering the length of the Queensland coast will be the most economically viable management tool for the Government to use.
    2. Wild stocking of “ bread & butter “ species will return investment to the state via tourism and increased local recreational fishing activities.
    3. Major reductions in commercial “ non-selective “ fishing practices within the inshore fishery.
    4. Aquaculture enterprises to enhance the local seafood markets, which also include the bait supplies for recreational fishers.
    5. Real science to assess the fishery which in turn can be utilised to manage all Queensland fisheries in a sustainable manner.
    6. Reduce the complex legislation & guidelines in regard to species size & bag limits, no take species and closed seasons and areas.
    7. Genuine conversations between recreational fishing groups and Government Departments governing this portfolio, but having said that, reduce the number of Governing bodies that encompass Recreational fishing.
    8. Recreational fishing to have an “ ownership “ of the fishery, similar to the commercial industry and indeed be recognised as “ Stewards of the Sea “.
    9. Strong policing of both Recreational and Commercial fishers with penalties reflecting the seriousness of offences.
    10. Education activities at school level to provide Queenslands kids with the knowledge of benefits of a viable fishery.
    11. Acknowledge the Health & Well Being, Social, Educational and Economical advantages that Recreational fishing provides to a community.
    12. Establish Recreational fishing only havens in populated areas at shore, inshore and freshwater locations.

Queensland has within it's grasp, a chance to lead not only this Country, but other developed Nations of the world in the benefits of establishing a viable, progressive, sustainable, robust and economically prudent Recreational fishery. All it takes is vision and a little funding.

Phill Kliese
    Recreational Fisher & Queenslander.
    ecofisher@optusnet.com.au
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

My confidence in the "public consultation and review process" has just been gutted.
    A local politician (don't know who or which party, don't care) has stepped in and lobbied the Minister to overturned the result of the recreation review result for lake of Kurwongbah near Petrie. And he succeeded, what a joke of a process.