Thread: fastach clips

fastach clips

Has anyone used mustad fastach clips, and do you have an opinion on them?

Re: fastach clips

Been using the small ones mate for bass, no dramas. The slightly bigger ones on Cod and no isues. I usually use Normans but these are just as good
    Cheers

Steven

I found the two smaller sizes a bit small for my eyesight and fumbling fingers. I use size 2 for Snapper and they are brilliant allowing quick easy changes between jig heads and colours. Never lost a fish because of them and in fact never had any issues.
    Regards to all Dick

They look good and a lot cheaper than norman Speed clips.
    Cheers
    Ray

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Braeden snaps are similar and Decoy did some a few years ago that were a pigtailed swivel that were very good.
    Jack.

I have been using a home made version for around 10 years since shown how to make them by a mate of mine.

They are made up on 180lb Malin Hard-Wire stainless wire, and can be done while sitting in front of the TV, and still not miss the show. Takes less than a minute to knock one up. If you snag up a lure and need to send down the tackle back, the worst that will happen is the pig tail closes down on the lure clip and may have to be cut off with side cutters once the lure has been retrieved. We used to use 50lb coast lock snaps, and quite often had them open up with a fish on. Lost a few lures due to that happening. Never had a problem since using this version.

As you can see from the shot of these survivors from last years trip to Weipa, they are lined up and ready to go into action when we next get up that way. Okay, so maybe the hooks could use a small sharpen up. As they say in the classics - one owner, low mileage, only driven to church on a Sunday.

cheers

Jeff

Good looking homemade clips. Wouldn't mind a few pointers on how your bending them up so neatly because I will definitely have a go at making some.

Okay, I will give it a shot and go through the process and hopefully not confuse people too much. Firstly, here is the gear you need to make them: Wire, wire cutters, small pliers set with rounded points, pliers with flat points and a small nail or similar sized piece of hard wire.

In the photo below, the process is shown through the various stages of construction from left to right (okay, bottom to top).

Step 1 - take an appropriate length of wire - I cut enough to make 3 or 4 finished twist-ons.
    Step 2 - Using the yellow handled pliers with the rounded points turn up a loop in the wire and lock off by twisting the wire around the main "arm" twice and cut off leaving a small tag end.
    Step 3 - Put a 90 degree bend in the tag end to allow it to be twisted off.
    Step 4 - Hold the wire at the loop end with the flat bladed pliers and twist the tag end in a spiral motion to snap it off level with the main wire so as not to leave a dag that could stab when handling.
    Step 6 - Using the round blade pliers grip the main wire at the length of the finished clip and twist the remainder of the wire over the arm to make the loop for the lure. I make sure both loops are in line.
    Step 7 - Insert the nail into the lure loop end and lay it along the snap. Hold the snap with the pliers and twist the tag end around the wire and nail to form the twist-on loops.
    Step 8 - Use the wire cutters to cut off the tag end at the appropriate length.

The only thing left to do after this, is tie the twist-on to your line, attach a lure and go fishing.

Have a go at making them. Don't worry if you stuff a few up as they cost very little in money, but sometimes lots in frustration and pain (you will understand what I mean the first time to stab yourself in the thumb when making one) until you get a finished product you are happy with. They don't have to look perfect to work.

cheers

Jeff
    Last edited by Short Fuse; 12-08-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Attach missing photo

That all makes sense to me Jeff. Cheers for that. I do enjoy the odd fishing based project.

Hopefully, the step by step instructions will make more sense now the missing photo has been put into the thread.

cheers

Jeff

How cool is that, I am going to have to try this!
    Regards to all Dick

Thanks for spending some time and effort in showing the steps involved to make them. As mentioned above I think I may give them a crack too.......... If you were only fishing for bream and flatties etc what wire size would you go with ?????

Thanks in advance
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Garry.

I have made them up on 60lb wire and they seemed fine, and would work with the smaller lures used for bream and flathead. I must admit that I just use a loop knot most of the time when fishing lures for flathead. I have a few favourites that I use for them and rarely take one off once it is on the line unless the colour I am using is not working and the one the fishing mate is using is catching fish. When we were doing lots of bream tagging around the Redcliffe Peninsula, and up at Caloundra, I found the best bream lure you could use was a piece of chicken breast fished in a berley trail. Have never really got into the bream on lures side of fishing.

Have a go at making a few up on different sizes of wire and see how they go.

cheers

Jeff