Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mustang 24 rebuild

Re: Mustang 24 rebuild

Bit of a bummer 5 attempts to drive on,, looks good on the trailer i thought, youve a long boat and a heavy one, you have plenty of rollers to accomadate so whats happening ...would the boat be steering off course half way on the trailer? the trailer in the water looks about right .... trust you find the solution good luck..

Not uncommon for a roller to catch a srake and "steer"the hull to one side. My Redco has chamfered rollers to allow the strakes to ride up over rollers as required. Can't see well enough in the pic on the mobile to see if yours is similar

What are you pointing to in those last pictures of the bottom of the boat and motor?

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    What are you pointing to in those last pictures of the bottom of the boat and motor?
    Where the bottom of the motor brackets originally hit the transom.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Not uncommon for a roller to catch a srake and "steer"the hull to one side. My Redco has chamfered rollers to allow the strakes to ride up over rollers as required. Can't see well enough in the pic on the mobile to see if yours is similar
    No, they are square shouldered and what you are saying makes a lot of sense.

But I think it's still a question of adjustment.
    I've had a lot of big trailer boats over the years, and this is the only one that has caused grief coming onto the trailer.

I took it out yesterday, got it on 1st go. Felt fine...
    Pulled it out of the drink to find it totally on the pi55, rear right roller group vertical and about 250mm off centre!

Perhaps Leo at United can sort it out.

Ausfish Silver Member

Shock! Horror!

Leo has sold out!

Any idea where he's gone?

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

My seafarer comes up the trailer off to one side at times. Mine is a roller catching a strake as Scottar mentioned above. Some ramps/trailer depths fine, some terrible and take multiple attempts. I too think it could be rectified with slight roller adjustment but so far I’ve been too lazy to do anything about it.

20190121_213922.jpg

An option if you get no joy elsewhere.

Ausfish Silver Member

I've been so busy with the little Haines SO and the Ventura rebuild that the poor old Mustang has taken a back seat.

As I was preparing the Seafarer for paint over the last few days, I decided to finish what I had started on the Mustang.

You may recall that I had just about maxed out the height adjustment on the motor, so I decided to remove it from the boat and reconfigure the 30" XXL to a 25"XL, as I needed the motor to go higher yet.

While I had the motor off, I took the opportunity to modify the pod. I needed the transom height to come down 50mm so that the XL shaft length would work. Sounds easy, yeah? NOT!

Anyhoo, I rebuilt the entire top of the pod, which really didn't take that long once I figured what I needed to do.
    IMG_3495.jpg IMG_3496.jpg IMG_3498.jpg

But I did procrastinate for weeks about fixing the paintwork.
    I'm glad to say that it has now all been faired and painted, (I had a couple litres of the original paint hidden away, so colour matching wasn't a problem), and the new engine mounting holes have been drilled. I still need to fit a couple of spin-outs (so I can get to the bottom bolts), redo the non-skid and to refit the Suzi.
    Attachment 119047IMG_3733.jpg IMG_3745.jpg

It will be nice to finish the Ventura and start using the Mustang again. We were on a roll with the Mustang and had just about sorted out engine heights and propeller sizes when I got caught up with rebuilding the little Haines and the Seafarer. When the Ventura is done, I'm all for using the boats instead of building them.

But I still have to fix the trailer issue with the Mustang. I noticed that the Tinka has provision for 4 x keel rollers.
    I'm going to set the boat up on the keel rollers (when I fit some), and use the multi rollers to literally hold the boat upright. I've done a bit of research and this seems to be the accepted way now. Back in the day, we were all for multi rollers without keel support, but that may well have been proven to be incorrect.

We'll find out soon enough...

Ausfish Platinum Member

my last boat had a fully-rollered tilt cradle just like yours, it could be fussy about going on the trailer right if you weren't the right depth into the water, and I would have never even considered driving it on, just too easy to get a wobble roller wrong side of a strake. I believe you need keel rollers to centre them, and the fully tilt-rollered type are just not really suited to drive-on. not saying it can't be done, just more potential for stuffups. My current trailer has keel rollers, with skids running down onto each roller to ensure the boat will always want to slide down to centre. The rear is supported by bunks once it is fully on, and the only wobble rollers are right up the front--you can feel them rolling as you drive it up, and them, once the forefoot is on the vee guide in front of them, they only lightly touch. Took a while to get it adjusted perfectly, but now works a treat. See it here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...=1#post1654332 Looking at your trailer, I notice some of those wobble pairs are sitting almost vertical--is there any way of keeping them within the range of mevement they need, which is a lot less? Not fitted wrong way around? One of my front pair was fitted arse-about, and it would get the wrong side of a strake. Took me a while to work out that they should only be fitted one way around, due to a small internal stop that was meant to resrtict movement and make sure it always fell inwards, not outwards.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    my last boat had a fully-rollered tilt cradle just like yours, it could be fussy about going on the trailer right if you weren't the right depth into the water, and I would have never even considered driving it on, just too easy to get a wobble roller wrong side of a strake. I believe you need keel rollers to centre them, and the fully tilt-rollered type are just not really suited to drive-on. not saying it can't be done, just more potential for stuff-ups. My current trailer has keel rollers, with skids running down onto each roller to ensure the boat will always want to slide down to centre. The rear is supported by bunks once it is fully on, and the only wobble rollers are right up the front--you can feel them rolling as you drive it up, and them, once the forefoot is on the vee guide in front of them, they only lightly touch. Took a while to get it adjusted perfectly, but now works a treat. See it here http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...=1#post1654332 Looking at your trailer, I notice some of those wobble pairs are sitting almost vertical--is there any way of keeping them within the range of movement they need, which is a lot less? Not fitted wrong way around? One of my front pair was fitted arse-about, and it would get the wrong side of a strake. Took me a while to work out that they should only be fitted one way around, due to a small internal stop that was meant to restrict movement and make sure it always fell inwards, not outwards.
    Love that trailer!

I have been thinking for a while now that centre rollers are the way to go. My trailer has provision for only 4 which I will install, and if I see improvement, we can quickly add a cassette with a roller every 18" over a 4M length. I really like the "nanny" skids which keep the keel directed to the rollers.

But I'm still so disappointed in my trailer as it is. In the mid 80"s, I had a bertram 25 on a monster tri-axle vac/disc set up with no center rollers, and it was the easiest boat ever to get on the trailer. Even if it got blown about at crazy angles, as soon as the 1st set of rollers engaged, the boat could be steered straight by merely turning the steering wheel.

It has to be a matter of adjustment with my current trailer...

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    20190121_213922.jpg

An option if you get no joy elsewhere.
    Scott

Are those roller brackets coated/covered in plastic (the red). If so where did you get them.

Not seen them before

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Ausfish Platinum Member

I'm sure you have thought of this, but I think the general principle, if you have a need for sdjustment, is to get each wobble roller as far from a strake as possible when it is loaded, ie, try to get the wobble roller sitting halfway between two. If its adjusted so that they are close to a strake, more chance of getting it the wrong side.

I had one of those eazi-loaders on a previous trailer, it was gold for getting things centred. But, it was an ali boat, don't know how they would go with glass. You had to keep an eye on the top roller bobbin on each side, as that was where all the wear/stress was, and, if it wore through, it was metal to the hull. Cheap and easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Scott

Are those roller brackets coated/covered in plastic (the red). If so where did you get them.

Not seen them before

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Mayfairs Wholesale Shakey

http://www.mayfairmarine.com.au/accessories/

Any Redco Tinka dealer should have access.

Ausfish Silver Member

My work on the Ventura is about done, so I have spent a bit of time back on the Mustang.
    I still haven't sorted out the trailer, but that is def next cab off the rank.

Had a look at the outboard install and made a few modifications to the set up - previously discussed, raising the pod transom height 50mm and shortening the engine from an XXL to an XL. Won't know if anything is improved until the next water test, but we did find that the -ve trim had been reset way too high by the original owner of the motor so now holeshot should be much better.

Last time we took the boat out in mid January (has it really been that long!!!), a problem with the new drum winch cropped up.

When I rebuilt the boat, part of the exercise was to remove the front half of the deck/cabin so I could turn it upside down and strengthen it in the garage.
    While it was off, I looked at the (then) Very accessible anchor locker floor, and decided, through sheer laziness, not to replace it.
    Big mistake.
    Every piece of timber in the boat was dead. How could I possibly think this one wouldn't be?

On the maiden usage of the drum winch (19.1.19) - which is an absolute ball tearer by the way - the anchor locker floor gave way...
    I knew it. I heard and felt it. Confirmed when we got home, so I ran away and rebuilt the Seafarer instead.

I knew it was going to be a nasty repair, as the boat is all but finished and I had to do a big-ish interior grind. So I have managed to put it off. Until now.

Remove all loose upholstery, the drum winch, water tank filler and hose and all electrical wiring, mask up a "tent", literally, inside the cabin, suit up, full face respirator, gloves, safety thongs, and just do it. Most unpleasant...

Here's the removal in progress:
    IMG_4102.jpg IMG_4101.jpg

Tent:
    IMG_4103.jpg

After removal, grinding, vacuuming and hosing out:
    IMG_4105.jpg

New floor, 3 laminates of epoxied 12mm marine ply drying:
    IMG_4110.jpg