Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mustang 24 rebuild

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Mustang 24 rebuild

How odd - they showed up on my computer.
    I'll try again, but I think they will load opposite to the original post:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mustang 24 rebuild

Now that's a lot of work? Good Luck with the reno?

Look forward to seeing the end result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    LITTLE SKIPPER!

Are you laying the glass up inside the laminated sheet on the transom then removing the sheet after for a solid glass finish?

I looks what you're doing with the coatings mate, a big improvement. Will there be sufficient space to install rod holders?
    Keep up the good work!

Ausfish Silver Member

Jeffo, the Melamine sheet was the mould - gone now. I'll have to put up some pics. It turned out really neat, but will still need the whole epoxy bogging and fairing treatment to look factory.
    The Woo - I'll most likely run a targa arch with rod holders.
    There's room across the back for rods, but not much in the "new" side combings.
    I will be running rails around the cockpit, so I could maybe incorporate rod holders there.
    Had it in the back of my mind when I attacked the side decks with the 1mm cutting wheel, knowing that I wanted to go wide and chase pelagics', that i would need to find a spot, or else the outriggers will be useless...

Looks good mate.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    Jeffo, the Melamine sheet was the mould - gone now. I'll have to put up some pics. It turned out really neat, but will still need the whole epoxy bogging and fairing treatment to look factory.
    The Woo - I'll most likely run a targa arch with rod holders.
    There's room across the back for rods, but not much in the "new" side combings.
    I will be running rails around the cockpit, so I could maybe incorporate rod holders there.
    Had it in the back of my mind when I attacked the side decks with the 1mm cutting wheel, knowing that I wanted to go wide and chase pelagics', that i would need to find a spot, or else the outriggers will be useless...
    Where there's a will there's a way.
    Maybe consider molding a spot for coaming rod holders on the outside above the gunnel rubber? Bit hard to explain what and where I mean but I'm thinking a half-moon mold outboard of the top of the coaming that would allow the fitment of a couple of rod holders.

That really cool, I am envious as I have neither the courage or skills to start a project like that, good luck.

Ausfish Silver Member

Couple of clarification pictures:

300mm clear-water pod and rear coaming restored
    Nov 3, 2014 005.jpg Nov 3, 2014 006.jpg Nov 3, 2014 007.jpg

New floor almost finished, also showing better view of increased interior beam.
    The cut-out on the rear combing to facilitate the Stern Drive has been filled in, and the inner combings have been cut down.
    I'll probably add a storage shelf set 100mm up off the floor.
    The intention is to have a fold down bench seat across the back, with a backrest of "D" shaped foam attached to the front of the rear combing ie. where the S/D repair was made.
    Batteries will go under the floor on either side, and oil bottles on top
    Nov 2, 2014 009.jpg Nov 3, 2014 009.jpg Nov 2, 2014 011.jpgNov 2, 2014 012.jpg

So that's it, totally upto date.

Now I just have to get inspired and rip into it again...

Might be a dumb question but why a clearwater pod?

Would you not need the buoyancy to offset the motors being further back?

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    Might be a dumb question but why a clearwater pod?

Would you not need the buoyancy to offset the motors being further back?
    The boat was originally a Stern Drive, but I didn't want an engine box in the way, so decided to go for twin outboards.
    The 2 x 200 mercs' weigh exactly the same as the single 351 Windsor sterndrive.
    According to the antifouling lines, the boat floated with the chines just in the water, so the small cantilever won't make much difference.
    I didn't want a huge ugly pod or hull extension hanging off the back of the boat, and I realised that if I cut into the wasted space at the back, I'd only need a short pod.
    Two schools of thought on hull extensions and clearwater pods, but I decided that mine would have such little set-back, that a hull extension would be way too much work and unwarranted and I would be able to set the motors 1" (25mm) higher with the 12" set-back. That allowed me to run XL shafts (25") instead of XXL (30"). My motors are both XXL's, but looked silly sitting so high, so I'm hunting for a 25' counter-rotating box to suit a 200 and we'll cut down the other 30, unless someone wants to do a swap...

Another thing was to add extra rake to the pod - 25mm longer at the top than the bottom, measured square off the transom.
    The idea was to give the motors more -ve trim for an easier hole shot.

Out of curiosity, why ditch the inboard in favour of 2 Outboards?
    More power, more room or just a preference thing?

Love the sound of a V8...

Hope it goes well.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Out of curiosity, why ditch the inboard in favour of 2 Outboards?
    More power, more room or just a preference thing?

Love the sound of a V8...

Hope it goes well.
    Yes, agreed - the V8's do sound amazing, especially this one. It had un-muffled above water exhaust! But I wanted all those things you suggested.

The 351 would be lucky if was anywhere near 200hp. It was a Mercruiser 233, meaning when it was new 25 years ago, it was flywheel rated at 233hp.
    The compressions were a bit low on 2 cylinders - (I still have the entire drivetrain and I have had it running) and I thought for a while of using it. All I had to do was a quick ring job, reco the heads while it was apart, find a good 4bbl manifold and original merc 4bbl carb, and hey presto, 255 flywheel hp. Still not enough.

When I got this one, I knew I'd either fit a Mercruiser 496 Bravo3 that I knew of, or a huge outboard.
    The fishing space was so compromised by the engine cover, which would need to grow even bigger to cover the 496, that, coupled with the fact that it would be significantly heavier that the old 233, I decided to go for an outboard.
    I'd already finished the transom repair at that stage, so to stop myself from debating the matter further, I took to the back of the boat with a cutting wheel and rough cut for a pod.
    The original intention was for a 750mm hull extension, but the short semi recessed clear-water pod won in the end.

I had wanted a 250 - 300hp single, but a pair of 2.5 200 mercs came up for the right money, so that's what I've got. A bit more power than I had originally anticipated, but I'll learn to live with that...

Now, I have a big trailer boat that is a bit different, should go like stink, will look pleasant with the modifications and a good paint job, will fish better due to the wider unobstructed cockpit and will better suit my girls with a separate wc and shower.

At the end of the day, it's custom built to suit my needs, which is very hard to buy off the shelf. Just need to add a hell of a lot of work!

Sorry for the essay, but it was a quite involved decision.

Ok, I'm sold.
    Guessing the 496 would be a big block and quite a bit bigger than the windsor.
    I like twin outboards too.
    Cheers

I cant wait to hear how much fuel it uses!!!