Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mustang 24 rebuild

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Mustang 24 rebuild

[QUOTE=ozscott;1641591]Nice work m8. Is that a D1 Tdi?

Cheers

Aye, that it is. '98 manual.
    Had the fuel pump recalibrated and it found another 15% power - Up from 50hp to 65hp at the wheels!
    Pathetic really.
    Looks nice, is (oddly) reliable, and is kind of comfortable, until you sit in a late model X5 or ML.
    Struggles a bit with the boat when taking off (no surprises there), but I won't upgrade until I decide if I'm keeping the boat or not.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.
    Haven't done much in a while as I've been a bit engrossed with the old Haines SO rebuild, but I did manage to rearrange the dash to cater for the new 9" Lowrance,
    IMG_2116.jpg
    Not quite as simple as it looks, as I had to remove the old compass, fill the holes and repaint the dash,
    I took the opportunity to matt-black the horizontal surfaces and I'm much happier with the current look.
    Just need to fit the drum winch circuit breaker and a compass and that should just about see the dash done.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Just got the boat back from the trimmers. Bimini, front and side clears.

IMG_2121.jpg IMG_2123.jpg

Waiting on new helm chairs.

The little Haines has upset the time-line somewhat, but the Mustang is getting very close now...

Fabulous job mate! Very well done!

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Just got back after a couple months of away time with the family, and fitted new seats.
    I wanted armrests and a bit more "stately" appearence.
    Found these at Sam Allens and I really like the look.

IMG_2965.jpg

I also managed to get the circuit breaker for the anchor winch in, so no excuses not to finish the wiring...

The little Haines is taking a lot more work than expected because it was so badly hogged, but it's all straight now and I'm "blue printing" the hull.

Shouldn't be much longer now.
    Famous last words...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I remember this thread, That is a great looking boat Giddy wish i was around to see you doing the build mate, A+ class build brother

Ausfish Silver Member

Little Haines is ready for paint, so I should be able to get back onto Mustang soon...
    IMG_3005.jpg
    Last edited by giddyup58; 10-10-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Shoulkd have started new thread

Giddy thats a first for me to see a keel like that i suppose i am use to alloy boats, are u going gel cote or 2k paint mate?

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Giddy thats a first for me to see a keel like that i suppose i am use to alloy boats, are u going gel cote or 2k paint mate?
    Sorry for the late reply.
    I'm using Jotun paint this time. I was really happy with the undercoat and it has been designed specifically for boats.
    Actually painting it at the moment in a mates booth.
    Attachment 117961
    That's it getting final highbuild before sanding and putting it on the trailer.
    Should have it home by next weekend...

Ausfish Silver Member

Finally got back into the Mustang.

My mate Cyril finished the wiring for the WC and the Drum Winch, so all I had to do was cut the hawse hole in the deck, fit the rope/chain roller, thread the chain cover over the chain, buy a 6kg Rocna anchor and fill the anchor line onto the drum.

Anchor from Gold Coast, so that was easy.
    Fitting hawse and roller, 2 hours. Don't ask me why it took so long. It's just not that complicated.
    Threading chain through cover - 2 hours. But now that I know how, it could be done in 10 minutes...
    Loading the drum - 1/2 hour. Almost impossible on your own. Luckily, wife rolled up just befor I had a tantrum.

IMG_3144.jpg IMG_3143.jpg

Next, finish mounting the sounder/plotter. Shouldn't take too long - transducer bracket already mounted, transducer cable penetration done all I need to do is run the cable and neaten everything up.

Almost out of excuses not to actually use the boat...

Ausfish Silver Member

Have a look at this:
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/uran...ang/1197317114
    I really need to keep off Gumtree. Too much sillyness...

Ausfish Silver Member

I took the family for a cruise up the river in the Mustang last week to try out a new prop. The motor came with a 16x17 Lexor, which I thought would be way too small, but it turned out to only be 2" or 3" too small. Engine went straight to 6200rpm at about 3/4 throttle
    The problem, is that the prop is LH and the boat really prefers RH rotation. Consequently, the whole trip mwas spent buggerising around with the trim tabs. PITA.
    Im lucky that the Suzuki gearbox is happy to swing either way and can be converted very easily from Left swing to Right. It's as simple as unpluging an electrical component and pluging in a different one.
    Borrowed a couple of large diameter Suzi props - 18.5" and 20" to get the pitch worked out, but I really think we need to run a 4 blader.
    Obviously, a lot more testing to do...

Photos mate?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Silver Member

IMG_3362.jpg

Looks to be sitting about right - 150 litres fuel, 100 litres water up front, 165kg of passengers and chines just in the water. I'm happy with that.

Tried a 16X20 Suzuki prop on Saturday. but it had been modified and had a monsterous amount of cup added.
    The good news, is that it was a RH swing prop, so the boat was a lot more balanced.
    Gave it about 1" down on both tabs and trimmed the motor right out and it was the steadiest I have felt it.
    I was about to fit a perma trim, but after reading the heated discussion elsewhere here abouts, I decided to get it as good as I can and Then try the foil.

So the 20" was too much pitch, and I got lucky and picked up a good 16x18.5 Suzuki prop today.

I know that one should only do 1 modification at a time, but I'm convinced that the motor needs to go up 2 holes, so I'll do that and run the 18.5 and see where that takes me.

IMG_3368.jpg
    Mmmmmm - Shiny...

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

I fitted the 16x18.5 and lifted the motor 3 holes, giving a total raise of 60mm from keel to cav plate.

IMG_3385.jpg IMG_3420.jpg

Totally different boat, but if it needs to go any higher, I will have to change it from an XXL to an XL, which apparently is not that hard.

Took it to Tangalooma last Sunday in 15kts of ENE, and the ride really impressed me.
    Very smooth, as one would expect from a 25' boat weighing 2 ton with 24 degrees deadrise.
    Also very surefooted. It didn't steer from the bow at all, even when tabbed down and trimmed in.
    And an absolute joy when running with the weather.

Only problem, was that the friction control on the hand throttle wasn't resistant enough, and hard landings opened the throttle a little every time, until I was blasting through nasty Moreton bay chop at 42 knots!
    That little problem has since been fixed.

Last problem is the trailer.
    My very burley son and I launched from RQYS, where we had the ramp to ourselves, so when it came time to retrieve, we took our time and tried every combination of trailer depth to get the boat to drive on.

IMG_3406.jpg

5 attempts, and still no luck, so I will have to seek outside assistance from a trailer manufacture/repair firm to set up the rollers correctly.

Still, confidence is so high that it's a good thing, "She who must be obeyed" is coming for a run to Peel tomorrow.