Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mustang 24 rebuild

Re: Mustang 24 rebuild

Coming together very nice. A great project

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

I always click on this project when its updated.......like so many of us, I am really impressed at the attention to detail and the patience involved in working round the bits that didnt work out first time ..but are fixed..Thanks for sharing this journey......old boats.....so much work to get back ..but some people manage it .

from a young bloke to a seasoned fisho.. Mate, if i get half the knowledge and a quarter of your passion when i hit the magic 60s ill be a happy man. Thanks for the read and fantastically presented. I hope you get a bucketload of good time in your rig

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by poonabayking View Post
    from a young bloke to a seasoned fisho.. Mate, if i get half the knowledge and a quarter of your passion when i hit the magic 60s ill be a happy man. Thanks for the read and fantastically presented. I hope you get a bucketload of good time in your rig
    Steady on ol' mate. Not 60 yet!
    That happens in late May...

Oh dear...

This project is looking great, thanks for all of the updates. I'm about to start doing a rebuild myself, bit smaller though it will be a 5.5 cruise craft rambler. I'm just gutting it at the moment and still tossing up whether to use polyester resin or epoxy. I've read all the info on strengths etc and obviously epoxy is much more expensive. What have you used in your rebuild and how has it worked for you?

Ausfish Silver Member

Stick with poly.
    Epoxy is much harder to work with and significantly more expensive.
    Look at it this way - your Rambler is how old?
    The glass is still good, I'd venture.
    Just the timber has gone rotten?
    So poly lasts, and lasts. The timber doesn't, but it has taken how long to get to the point where it needs replacement?
    My vote is Polyester resin (from AA Fiberglass supplies at Brisbane shiplifts) and CD construction ply from Bunnings.
    That combo will probably outlive all of us if done correctly. You do not need the synthetic wood replacements...
    Let us know what you decide.
    I used poly everywhere for fiberglassing resin, except for the pod construction, which was done with vinylester asI wanted the extra strength and waterproofing that Vinyl brings.
    Everything that had to be glued was done with epoxy and cabosil, and all fairing "bog" was epoxy and micro-baloons.
    Just remember, you can't poly flow coat over epoxy. It won't stick.
    If you need to know more, PM me. Happy to help.
    Last edited by giddyup58; 20-02-2018 at 07:56 PM. Reason: didnt answer thequestion

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Finished the trailer last week.
    A huge thanks to Leo at United, who fitted and commissioned the !Q7 brake controller for me.
    Very knowledgeable and very reasonable in his charges.

Went to the ramp and swapped trailers yesterday.

I was very surprised how good Frankentrailer has ended up. It towed really well and the boat launched very easily by hand.
    When building it, I went to a lot of trouble to get the boat as close to the ground as possible, so it was a huge shock to see how high it sits on the replacement Tinka.
    But, as I have bleated about previously, Frankentrailer was fundamentally flawed by the drum brakes and now I can drop the leg in the driveway without hitting the skeg.

We got the boat onto the trailer with a bit persuasion, but it was listing about 10 degrees and heavily nose down, so rather than be "that guy" at the ramp trying to set up the trailer, I bolted for home (only 3k's) and spent 4 hours today adjusting the rollers... 56 of them...
    IMG_1882.jpg

Pretty happy with the result, except for the fact that the tow hitch is now 200mm higher than I am happy with. That in itself is not too bad, as to make it all work, I had to flip the towbar tongue upside down and remount the ball to gain the height, but that completely blocks the reversing camera's view of the tow hitch... Which is inconvenient.
    OK, probably easier to remount the camera, but I tow more than the Mustang and I was happy with the height of the ball, so I will modify the trailer to suit. All good fun...

IMG_1885.jpg IMG_1886.jpg IMG_1887.jpg

So now, proof will be in the launching. Hopefully, it will work as well as Frankentrailer. Theoretically, I should just have to back it in a bit further, but the back of the Disco was so far from the water that I don't think it will be an issue.

And I do admit, it was a delight to tow a 2,500kg rig that had powerful brakes. I had the Tekonsha P3 set at 7 volts. I needed 14 with the drums, and they still didn't work as well. Also, the Tinka "looks" right. But Frankentrailer definitely had character...

Plenty to go on with, now that the trailer diversion is all but over. More soon.

credit to you , amazing finish and looks a real head turner, admire you blokes with the patience to do big jobs like this, again well done.

Wow!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Seen it in tow today made my head turn
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_S View Post
    Seen it in tow today made my head turn
    Was it sitting nicely on Frankentrailer, or munted on Tinka?

Black tinka
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

Ausfish Platinum Member

Did you do the re-prop yet? performance was impressive.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Did you do the re-prop yet? performance was impressive.
    I tried a 14.25 x 21 Mercury Laser 2, and it dropped 300rpm but kept the same top speed.
    I'm thinking the motor needs to go up a hole, as I can't figure the drop in revs but same top speed.
    Got the tabs working and they level the boat nicely without affecting speed.
    Don't know if it's BS or not, but someone on this site reckons his "dad's" Haines Formula with a 300 Suzi does 50knots dead.
    If that's for real, I'm thinking mine should do the same, as it's a very close copy of the Formula - same length, beam, deadrise and similar weight.
    Maybe the clear-water 300mm pod is slowing it down, but I really don't think so.

Regarding the trailer, I modified the draw bar to drop the hitch 175mm and fitted a 25mm higher goose neck, so it all sits at the right height now.
    Put some more air (18lb!!) in the rear left tyre of the Disco and suddenly, it tows better. Still gutless...
    IMG_1916.jpg

Looking at fitting the anchor winch in the next few days. Bloody rain...

Nice work m8. Is that a D1 Tdi?

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing