Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Re: Mustang 24 rebuild

It has come up great. Are you going the full monty with a hardtop and full screens?
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

Scottar :
    In the past on this size trailer boat, I have gone for a standing height bimini with removable screen infill and side curtains, an overhead S/S rocket launcher to hold the outriggers, rods, anchor light. steaming light , and cockpit flood lights. I've never been a fan of full camping covers.
    Regarding a hardtop, now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think it will work with the bridge-deck layout. It will be a flat structure set way too high to look right aesthetically.
    I used the bimini system on a Pride Sunseeker (Bridge-deck model) I had over 20 years ago (was it really that long ago??), and it looked really good and was super practical.

Donutmaster: Thanks man. I kinda like it too...

Now i"m just waiting for it to come home from the screen guy.

Waiting, waiting...

Got the boat back yesterday, and I'm quite happy with the new windscreen and cabin side perspex. Wiper sits a bit low, but hopefully I'll get used to it.

26.5.17 003.jpg 26.5.17 005.jpg 26.5.17 004.jpg 26.5.17 008.jpg

I managed to get the bow roller and bow rail on, after fully polishing the boat again to get rid of all the black sikaflex smears from fitting the gunwale rubbers and the side windows..
    May modify the bow rail and figure out how to incorporate a "Jacobs Ladder" for boarding over the nose from the beach.
    The bow roller is from Lone Star and is a nice bit of kit.

26.5.17 009.jpg

The intention is to get a 9kg Rocna anchor and a Lone Star drum winch.

Apart from making the side pockets and fitting the transverse bunk windows/ports, the major "boat building" is just about done and I'm having a nice change of pace with fit out, making it all pretty and most importantly, putting on the jewellery!

The teak that I played with over the last week came up OK, but it doesn't look new, so I'll have to give that a bit more consideration. I'll get some on the boat tomorrow and see how it looks fitted...

I put the boat and trailer onto the weigh bridge on the way home and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that it only weighs 2200kg on the trailer. That's about half a ton less than I was expecting.
    The prop calculator is giving some very exciting performance figures with the 300 Suzuki...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all.

It has been quite a while since my last update, as things have been very busy.
    But I did manage to get a bit done on the boat.

I removed the old tank and had a new alloy 320 litre tank made. I fitted 18mm breather so it would fill quickly without spitting back, as often happens with a single 1/2" breather.

The tank area had to be properly prepared - all the end grain has been sanded and given 3 good coats of "everdure" to totally seal the timber.
    JulyAug 17 369.jpg

Next, flow-coated the whole area and fitted the tank onto a few small nylon spacers so air can circulate.
    JulyAug 17 383.jpg
    You may notice that the tank has been plumbed and the wiring well underway.
    Also, there is water everywhere, as I had just finished hoseing the cockpit out. It is by far the best way to get rid of the itchies...

There's a 750 auto bilge pump in the sub-floor sump, and a 2000gph in the plastic enclosure.

On either side, 100mm up off the deck, are the floors of the the side pockets. They have been glassed in and the end-grain everdured.
    I have built the side pockets, but no pictures yet,

So, as things have quietened down again, I hope to have a big push in the next few days and make some progress.
    I'm waiting for an air stapler and S/S staples to turn up from the States, so I can have a go at some simple upholstery - the side pockets and head-linings maybe...

Next is to finish the side pockets, start trimming and finish the wiring, which will take me a while as it's not my favourite part of building boats...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all.

A bit of progress on the old Mustang.
    The cockpit was looking so unbelievably daggy, that I had to do something about it.
    My intention was to put carpet down, but it's a real shame to spill fishy bits on new carpet, so I decided to fair and paint it all.

So it would look factory, I dry fitted 12mm x 12mm x 1.4mm alloy angle around all the floor hatches. By far the easiest and quickest way to get perfect lines, but it still took the best part of a day to get right,

I then got out the grinder and the epoxy and micro-balloons and prepped the area in readiness for high build:
    1.9.17 007.jpg 1.9.17 008.jpg

Lots and lots of masking, then highbuild, sanding and highbuild again:
    1.9.17 038.jpg 1.9.17 040.jpg

All sanded again, more masking, and gloss painted all the boarders.

Next, left it to cure properly, lots more masking then spray the non-skid:
    1.9.17 043.jpg 1.9.17 045.jpg

The hatches were done off the boat:
    1.9.17 046.jpg

Strip the masking off and start to fit up the pre-made alloy dress rings, but the cruddy old inner hull sides spoil the effect.
    1.9.17 047.jpg

I had intended to line the side pockets, but for some reason I decided to flowcoat the offending areas.
    So another few hours produced this - (there is a spare piece of alloy half under the stbd side pocket, in case you wondered):
    1.9.17 049.jpg 1.9.17 050.jpg 1.9.17 051.jpg

Now, I'm happy!

Hopefully, more soon,

Very nice. Good work it looks great. Can you still access ( from the new hatch ) to run cables etc
    Jamie

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

giddyup58 the boat is coming up better than new and have been watching this post like many. I know its hard to put a time on these types of projects as its very much like restoring a vintage car in some ways. You really don't know what you will find until you start to open things up and your best plans go to crap in a heart beat. You had a firm plan from the start unlike my project which keeps growing and start to wonder if I will ever get to the end.

Love watching the transformation and take my hat off to you, keep the photos coming.