Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mustang 24 rebuild

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Mustang 24 rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by burleygu View Post
    I cant wait to hear how much fuel it uses!!!
    That's about the only bit that I'm not looking forward to.
    I've got a flowscan to fit, so I should be able to find it's best mpg revs. Will still be a hideous figure...

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.
    Quick update of the progress on the Mustang 24.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I needed to fit a wc/shower to the boat, so I came up with this

:Mar 2015 006.jpg Mar 2015 007.jpg

which was totally glassed and faired in, You would not believe how long that took!
    Not totally happy with the POS sink, so I moulded and fitted my own:

11.10.15 004.jpg

You may recall from earlier photos that the interior furniture had to be butchered and removed in order to replace the stringers.
    Next job was to make good the repairs and make it all fair again:

may 15 009.jpg 11.10.15 003.jpg 11.10.15 006.jpg

So that was all going nicely, if very slowly as it is a horrid job, when, for some reason, I needed to go up on the cabin top.
    To my horror, I discovered that the deck was spongy and needed repair. Closer inspection revealed that the ply core of the cabin/deck had delaminated, so simply injecting epoxy was not going to fix it. A major repair was needed.

On the up side, I did get a build date for the boat.
    I found this scrunched up newspaper stuffed into a cavity as insulation:

12.10.15 005.jpg

May 2, 1976.

At l;east I now have a target date to work to. In May 2016, the old girl will be 40 years old, so it would be nice to get her back in the water by then...

Anyhoo, the deck problem really slowed me down, as I knew that by far the best way to do the repair, was upside down, preferably in the garage.
    After a lot of thought and one pathetic attempt to turn the boat over, I finally decided to build a frame on the outside of the deck to hold its proper shape, and to then cut the cabin from the boat and do the repairs in the garage.
    Big deep breath, just do it.

It ended up taking 4 full days in total from decision to remove the offending part to reinstalling it. Quite painless in retrospect. I could even lift and move the assembly after my son helped me get it off the boat.
    I didn't use timber as the core material. It only lasted 40 years! Coremat was much easier. Full vinyl-ester layup for strength. It's a little bit bouncy, but will stiffen up a lot when the side windows go in.

11.10.15 025.jpg 11.10.15 028.jpg 11.10.15 034.jpg

The boat looked a bit bare without the cabin:

11.10.15 032.jpg

But it all went back together again, epoxy glue on the gunwale joint. The joins have been glassed since the photo.

11.10.15 039.jpg

So what's left to do?

2 more hits of high-build and sanding the interior in preparation for gloss;
    Sand blast the antifouling off the hull, then prep the hull and topsides (the sides of the hull - everything between the chine and the gunwale), for paint.
    Prep deck and cabin for paint.
    Gloss it all outside.

Put on motors, go catch fish!

Piece of cake. I'll let you know how it goes...

Great update! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
    We've recently launched our six year long refit. What a ride.
    Be strong brother! Lol

Great job! Not an easy feat to take on a job like this when you also have to earn a crust too, time disappears quickly eh.

Woo, you should put together a thread of your OB33 rebuild. They would have to be the sexiest looking mono around, and the work you guys did was fantastic.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Quote Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
    Great job! Not an easy feat to take on a job like this when you also have to earn a crust too, time disappears quickly eh.

Woo, you should put together a thread of your OB33 rebuild. They would have to be the sexiest looking mono around, and the work you guys did was fantastic.
    Cheers
    Brendon
    second that!! Please!!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

It's on THT gents.... Click the link for all the pain, suffering, and joy :p

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...oat-refit.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Woo View Post
    It's on THT gents.... Click the link for all the pain, suffering, and joy :p

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...oat-refit.html
    Hey mate, been reading through your build, looks awesome. At page 6 on my shitty work internet, but getting through.
    Is this at kippa ring? Can't remember the road, but I get my cars serviced at Brian Swain automotive and always stop to admire a boat up on stands just up the road......
    Looks a lot like this, will have another look when I get back from work in a couple weeks.....

Quote Originally Posted by gford001 View Post
    Hey mate, been reading through your build, looks awesome. At page 6 on my shitty work internet, but getting through.
    Is this at kippa ring? Can't remember the road, but I get my cars serviced at Brian Swain automotive and always stop to admire a boat up on stands just up the road......
    Looks a lot like this, will have another look when I get back from work in a couple weeks.....
    Got to about page 18 in that thread and saw Brian swains in the background. Always did like the look of that boat as I went past, good job mate.

Yep right near Swainy's it was. Thanks bud.

Giddyup, maybe I missed it mate but did you decide on a colour yet?

Ausfish Silver Member

I've done a couple of repaints, and I really like "Oyster White" - an old U.S. Paints colour. Close to "Eggshell".
    Black covers, boot topping, gun'l rubbers and merc outboards look really good with Oyster..

Can't go wrong with Oyster White mate. Nice choice!

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all - time for another update.

When I left off, I had just reattached the deck and was about to get into fairing.

I decided to fair the outside walls of the Shower/WC room as opposed to y original intention of laminating 4mm teak ply over the top. Didn't get a good shot, Sorry.
    I cut the top of the icebox out to fit a SS kitchen sink with drainage recess.

Next step was to get into the cabin repairs, where I had to rip screws out by their thread, through the finished glass. These screws held the chipboard mould in place so the cabin didn't lose its shape while removed from the hull for rebuilding.
    While I was at it, I also repaired all the star fractures - the boat is 40 years old after all - and all the now apparent moulding defects.
    I also addressed the non-skid issue.
    When plugs of boats are made, the non-skid is cut to shape off a roll and glued onto the plug.
    When the mould is taken, the non-skid stands proud by a few mm and is essentially impossible to repair if damaged.

I chose to fair in the step up to the non-skid and to do my own non-skid in the paint - glass beads. More much later...

Structural repairs and fairing with a grinder:
    033.jpg 035.jpg

Epoxy mixed with microballoons for fairing: Then 2 coats of highbuild to protect the bog.
    July 2016 006.jpg July 2016 008.jpg July 2016 009.jpg July 2016 013.jpg

Onto the outboard pod:
    July 2016 016.jpg July 2016 018.jpg July 2016 019.jpg

Then the cabin sides and decks:
    July 2016 025.jpg July 2016 028.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Silver Member

Oops. Pressed Submit instead of Preview.

Anyhoo, continuing with cabin sides and deck: Added a bowsprit for the anchor:

Attachment 113506 Attachment 113507 July 2016 022.jpg July 2016 031.jpg

All faired and in highbuild.

Next in line was removal of the antifouling.
    Tried to do it manually and I spent 12 hours and did about 3m2 - see 2nd picture above, both sides. Absolute agony...

Only easy way was to load the old girl onto the trailer and go to the local friendly sandblaster:
    July 2016 285.jpg

Got it home and back onto the hard.
    Lots and lots of sanding to get it right.
    Decided to do topsides at same time.
    July 2016 290.jpg

View from house:
    July 2016 293.jpg

So, it's getting there.

Slowly.

But it is progressing...

That looks awesome mate cant wait to see the finished product

Beautiful boat mate. I love the Mustang 24. Nice tow vehicle too.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing