Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Off Road Trailer for Cape York.

New Off Road Trailer for Cape York.

Ok Party Goers here is a few pictures of the off road trailer for anyone looking into doing one.
    this is my first design for an off road trailer so any ideas or tips will be much appreciated this guy builds them tough & i have given him a bigish list of custom ideas.

This will be going up & down Cape York so its very heavy duty.
    Having it setup as a tilt trailer but we are using a jockey wheel mounted to wind it up/down to control how much tilt there is.
    Spare tire mounted under the Bow but i have it setup so i can mount it on the drawbar to make it a 3 wheel trailer so i can winch or pull it when neccesary. A jockey wheel will break in these conditions & is of course too small.
    Standard removable jockey wheel & it mounts flat on the draw bar when not in use.
    33 inch tires on patrol rims same as the ute.
    Independant suspension with shockies.
    Hydrolic over electric brakes
    extra strong pillar with a quad bike winch mounted to it & powered via Anderson plug to back of the ute.
    Lots of tie down points & a big stone guard of course.

The guy in the picture is David the Owner of Tait Welding up here in FNQ he has been building off road trailers for 20 years & has it down patt none come back with problems just little modifications or maintenance.

These pics are not my trailer but a similar one i will throw up some of mine as i have changed some things & given him some ideas to do things a wee bit different.

Spare tire mount

Tilt Setup & action.

Jockey Wheel Mechanism & latch for Tilt system.

Time to do some Fishin & less workin.

Re: New Off Road Trailer for Cape York.

Update is all Galvanised now so being put together.
    All gone to plan thus far i have to wire up an Anderson plug to the tow bar for the electric winch. Be interesting to see how it lasts they are only a few hundred dollars & built for quad bikes.

Hope to have it back next week.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Great looking trailer, look forward to seeing pics of your set up

Cheers
    Corry
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Towie0 View Post
    Ok Party Goers here is a few pictures of the off road trailer for anyone looking into doing one.
    this is my first design for an off road trailer so any ideas or tips will be much appreciated this guy builds them tough & i have given him a bigish list of custom ideas.

This will be going up & down Cape York so its very heavy duty.
    Having it setup as a tilt trailer but we are using a jockey wheel mounted to wind it up/down to control how much tilt there is.
    Spare tire mounted under the Bow but i have it setup so i can mount it on the drawbar to make it a 3 wheel trailer so i can winch or pull it when neccesary. A jockey wheel will break in these conditions & is of course too small.
    Standard removable jockey wheel & it mounts flat on the draw bar when not in use.
    33 inch tires on patrol rims same as the ute.
    Independant suspension with shockies.
    Hydrolic over electric brakes
    extra strong pillar with a quad bike winch mounted to it & powered via Anderson plug to back of the ute.
    Lots of tie down points & a big stone guard of course.

The guy in the picture is David the Owner of Tait Welding up here in FNQ he has been building off road trailers for 20 years & has it down patt none come back with problems just little modifications or maintenance.

These pics are not my trailer but a similar one i will throw up some of mine as i have changed some things & given him some ideas to do things a wee bit different.

Spare tire mount

Tilt Setup & action.

Jockey Wheel Mechanism & latch for Tilt system.

I've seen a lot of off road boat trailers, mostly people buying normal trailers and beefing them up for strength. This is the second post i've seen at tait's welding awesome work. Independent suspension so your boat doesn't get smashed by the continuous corrugations. They make the best OFFROAD boat trailers in Australia period.

Whats the cost for that trailer?

looks like a rather complicated tilt lock thing... what was the reason to make the centre row of rollers adjustable as a complete row? not knocking anything done, just makes for a better understanding if people know the why's and wherefores.

Built like a brick outhouse. Great looking bit of kit. Love the wind up tilt mechanism - make launching when there is no real gradient a dream

Thanks for the reminder guys the trailer is at home now just a few things left to finish off i will throw up some pics tonight & details about the tilt operation rollers etc etc..

It has come up perfect so far i just have to finish the hydraulic brakes today.

Rob costing is around $12K probably if you dont do anything or are not used to working on things mechanical, electrical, etc etc so i got my cost down that way.
    It is Davids design & i just helped modify several things to suit me before we sent it to get galvanised.

Noelm- tilt system is very basic & easy in design after trial & error like most things. I will show you in a picture. The rollers are straight with a single piece of stainless used as opposed to many split pins to hold it all together & it makes maintenance fast & easy to replace rollers.
    Also the strength in the trailer is to have less angles & keep everything as square & solid as possible. Having the whole roller setup adjustable is so you can tweak & fine tune the setup over the first several uses for example i want it slightly sloping backwards to make luanching & retrieving easier when on my own. This way we also get as many rollers as possible under the center for travelling & supporting the boat in as many places as possible.
    In theroy we could easilly move things around if we decided to or needed to put a different boat on the trailer thus being multi use.

Scott thats exactly what we wee trying to do so we can literally drop it on the beach & wait for the tide to come in or drop it off steep creek/river banks too.

I will try to list the hit on there but as you can see its very heavy duty & built to last for ever & cop some punishment up the Cape.

Hand winch as back up & to hold boat while travelling.
    Electric Quad bike winch powered using anderson plug on tow bar like trailer brakes hooked up to battery in tray.
    Pillar is adjustable to suit different loads so towball weight doesnt get to heavy
    Simple & single latch to hold tilt system in place, the tilt is controlled using the jockey wheel mounted as in picture.
    Jockey wheel when towing is mounted flat next to pillar on drivers side
    Hitchmaster D035 which is so simple & solid with full movement.. http://www.vehiclecomponents.com.au/...ler-coupling-1 I had not seen them untill now but i do have to work out how to lock it so it dont get stolen.

I have mounted a wheel hub next to the pillar which i can mount on front of drawbar close to the hitch (driver side) & put spare wheel on thus making it a 3 wheel trailer if i get stuck in mud or sand etc then i can use the truck to winch it or snatch strap it out rather than making an extended or fold in draw bar i have done this before its much easier. Cant see it in pictures as im painting it today.

Independant Suspension coils shocks & wow its awesome
    Hydraulic brakes are going to take some playing with to get right but dam they work good.
    Walk way down both sides
    Heaps of tie down points my cover doesnt fit properly now so have to fix that.

Here are some pics & by all means fire away with questions i know thee is not much info out there on Off Road Boat Trailers and the ones i looked at by Companies were absolute crap for 7K and 10K i really think Tait Welding needs to put his price up alot. He makes these in between doing other things so he doesnt really know what they cost but it took us over 25 hours to put it together after it came back from the Galvaniser.
    Then a full day setting it up with the boat on it & getting it rego.

Hi TO, What a great trailer with fantastic coils springs set up, The only thing I would say is if it needs a jockey wheel to make it tilt how much weight has it got on the trailer ball, My mate has a 5m Quintrex king with 60hp 4/ on the back it sits on a heavy duty Cape trailer, it tilts up as soon as the boat moves back a few centimetres but the trailer itself still has around 100kg of weight on the ball, I spent nearly 4 weeks up at Pennefather NW of Weipa with him last year he spent two months up there, The only other thing I would say if you are going to do the beaches up there you may want wider tyres on you trailer but if they are the same as you are running on you 4wd I would not worry, Nathan

Hi Nathan sorry i have not checked in for a bit.
    Re-Tires i run 33's on the Patrol & trailer when we go away as you say much better & i have lived up here for 9 years now so learnt some things the hard way LOL>

Pennefather is a big system great for shallow water boats & crocs.

Tilt Jockey wheels are no good they drag on the ground & get the bejeezeus kicked out of them off road because they hang down and we have balanced it all so it wont fall back even if a climb on the back while its not hooked up & in storage.

Hi To, Like I said great trailer one of the best I have seen hope it serves you well, Yes penny river is shallow we mainly reef fish up there for for a feed of black spot tusk fish and other reefies and to get away from the cold in winter, My mate has fished up the Cape since 1982 and done dozen of trips up there, Nathan

Lucky man ive not fished alot out of boats up here we are serious 4wders and fisherman second.

I have a few mates live in Weipa so it looks like i will be taking the boat up a bit.

Hi To, Here is my mates trailer Attachment 107960

Another photo,