Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Breaksea Spit ( Hervey Bay ) M & G. November 2014

Re: Breaksea Spit ( Hervey Bay ) M & G. November 2014

doing plan "C"... Club Chill + Creeks + Cool Cups of "Joy" (not a c i know)....so team C is on plan C...good luck all up there already...might c..hahaha some of u on way back...hope C is not too C$$(*ed on way back to ramp. C U Soon...
    Cheers
    Chong

CCC

Cheers,
    Chong

Back home. What can I say, but very variable weather conditions wind wise, and a raging current.

For those crossing the 4 mile, watch the western end as it has shallowed up considerably (1.5m at low tide). The sandbank on the south western side of the crossing has moved slightly north of the mark I posted earlier, the rest of the marks are fairly spot on.

A very sad sight to see the upturned hull of the cat lying on the beach just south of the lighthouse on Monday afternoon. It was not there today, so I assume they arranged for its salvage.

Tuesday was a beautiful day on the water. glass out conditions and not a lot of current in the morning. When it came through in the afternoon, it roared and we were drifting at 2.7 knots. Decided to stay outside on Tuesday night as there was another boat up there who had fuel issues and had arranged for Bundy VMR to deliver more fuel out to them, so we stayed close by in case they needed assistance. VMR boat arrived at 9.30pm, delivering 5 jerries of fuel for them and standing by while they got the motors running to ensure that there were no other problems. The crew then had a 4 hour run back to base estimating their arrival back in Bundy as 3am.

Had a miserable night anchored at Sandy Cape Shoals as the north easter got up to around 15 knots, and the current held the boat side on to the waves so we rocked and rolled for most of the night.

There are plenty of spanish mackerel at the shoals, and we watched a very large GT smash through the fusileer schools on low tide Tuesday afternoon. Plenty of reef fish east of the shoals. Bagged on over 40cm venus tusk fish in just over 2 hours fishing. Also got 1 red, red throats, moses perch, and brown maori cod, plus a fair few odds and sods that were all returned as we did not want to bring a huge amount of fish back.

The northerly got up a fair bit on Wednesday afternoon. We came back in through the bar at 2pm, and ran down inside Roonies to catch up on the lost sleep from the night before. Spoke to some blokes on a nice Cabo called ###### who had been up there for 5 days and had caught 7 blues in that time. They were planning another 3 days of fishing before heading back to the Gold Coast. Left Roonies at 6pm, got back to the ramp, packed and on the road home just on 8.30pm.

Boat can wait till later today for a wash down.

Good luck to any Ausfish crews heading up. Hope the weather holds and you get onto some nice fish.

cheers

Jeff

Drumbeat will staying home. I am not a NW fan.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Passed 3 large boats getting towed north up the Bruce on my way home this arvo from the sunny coast at about 4pm.
    Don't know who they were, but hope you have a good trip.
    Fridays looking pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by peterbo3 View Post
    Drumbeat will staying home. I am not a NW fan.
    I agree.
    Doesn't anyone know what the wind directions mean in fishing terms?
    SE = So Easy
    E = Easy
    NE = Not Easy
    N = Nothing
    NW = Not worth it

Cabo with a tower called A U R O A R A Jeff? I heard they had a 4 from 8 day on blues. One of our club guys was up there too. A 40' Luhrs full of SAffers called Salty Dog. He had 5 blues over a few days last I heard. Also Brendon Van Ras got 4 from 7 today on the inside on his 28' Bertie. That cat was a Mooloolaba club boat Wrangler, a 2800 Kevlacat with twin 250 Yammies. He had just repowered from Hondas.

Smithy. That was the boat. I think it was the first time Ray has seen a full blown game fisher armed with all the bling. He was more than just a little bit impressed. The way the skipper spun the boat around and idled up to the back of us and held it there while we had a conversation for about 10 minutes or so just blew him away. We heard the boys on Salty Dog speaking on the radio a few times, and they kept in touch with the boat that had the fuel issues and even offered to tow them back inside the spit if they thought it necessary. As they had already made the arrangements with Bundy VMR, they opted to stay where they were.

Would have been great to catch up with Brendan again. Spoke to him a few months ago at the Moretag Club meeting. Spoke to a few of the locals at the ramp on Monday, and they all reported either seeing or catching quite a few little blacks between Station Hill and Roonies up in the shallows. Paul D had his clients drop 2 fish on fly for the day.

No worse sight in boating than to see a boat in the upside down position (especially a cat). Hopefully all came out of the experience with nothing worse than brown undies.

Cant wait to get up there again, but will wait for some light south easters to come through, and hopefully a bit less current.

cheers

Jeff

That norwester was really blowing today!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415942474.187177.jpg

Not bad.
    This is what it was like up there on Tuesday mid morning.

Cheers

Jeff

Bucket load of billies and reefies caught this year. We were back yesterday just before it started to blow. Good time as is normal.
    I am so happy to wake up in the morning.

Beats the alternative!

Good to hear a few got out before the blow coming through.

Why wasn't the weather for Tue, Wed, & thurs,,,, the same as Fri, Sat & Sunday ?

><> LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

We got back on Friday night, had a blast with the small blacks and a few really good spotties on the way back to Urangan. Wind got up around 20 on the way in on Friday afternoon. Left Hervey bay at 5:30 was back home by 9pm. Collected a kangaroo on the way up to Hervey bay and did a bit of damage to my Prado so its in for a new bull bar on Monday. Thanks to all that made the enjoyable evening rafted up at Roonies,was good to meet some new people and put faces to names.

IMG_9872.jpgIMG_4546.jpgIMG_0664.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Well done boys.
    Shame work gets it the way of fishing
    Maybe next time.

QUOTE=MEG-A-BITE;1570261]We got back on Friday night, had a blast with the small blacks and a few really good spotties on the way back to Urangan. Wind got up around 20 on the way in on Friday afternoon. Left Hervey bay at 5:30 was back home by 9pm. Collected a kangaroo on the way up to Hervey bay and did a bit of damage to my Prado so its in for a new bull bar on Monday. Thanks to all that made the enjoyable evening rafted up at Roonies,was good to meet some new people and put faces to names.

IMG_9872.jpgIMG_4546.jpgIMG_0664.jpg[/QUOTE]

Took the wife and my Three young Boys on their first ever overnight stay off the top of Fraser on Friday night and came back late Saturday afternoon. The weather was not kind enough for us to head offshore so we stayed and fished the Inside of Fraser. To say the wife and kids were excited would be an understatement. My oldest boy who is 11 said it was his greatest fishing experience ever watching a little black Marlin take a 6 inch skirt and start its acrobatic routine through the Air. Fought it for 15 minutes and Released (LOST) it right next to the boat.
    One of the greatest places on Earth, been there many a times without the Family and had a ball but it is something special to see the Reaction on the Kids faces as they saw the marlin jumping into the Air.
    Back to reality now after spending Three days off 1770 back to work for Two days and then another two days off Fraser, life does not get much better.
    Don't be shy Ivanna wasn't.

Rub it in Dannyboy!!!!!!.......
    Did you stay overnight at Roonies?

Quote Originally Posted by overdraft View Post
    Took the wife and my Three young Boys on their first ever overnight stay off the top of Fraser on Friday night and came back late Saturday afternoon. The weather was not kind enough for us to head offshore so we stayed and fished the Inside of Fraser. To say the wife and kids were excited would be an understatement. My oldest boy who is 11 said it was his greatest fishing experience ever watching a little black Marlin take a 6 inch skirt and start its acrobatic routine through the Air. Fought it for 15 minutes and Released (LOST) it right next to the boat.
    One of the greatest places on Earth, been there many a times without the Family and had a ball but it is something special to see the Reaction on the Kids faces as they saw the marlin jumping into the Air.
    Back to reality now after spending Three days off 1770 back to work for Two days and then another two days off Fraser, life does not get much better.