Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: No courtesy offshore

No courtesy offshore

Been thinking about whether or not to post this for a while now but here goes.
    It seems lately that every time we go offshore around Moreton and Straddie, there is always someone out there (or two or three) that will drive straight over our drift line and be within 50m of the boat (but more like 20m). Sometimes they would fly past and other times pass through slowly sounding out your ground. Sometimes its a bit worrying that their props may cut through our lines when there's a bit of current running. So my question is 'wheres the courtesy gone'? Its a big paddock out there with heaps of places to fish. Why do people have to come so close. I reckon this has happened to a lot of people out there both offshore and in the bay so feel free to express your opinion. Any ideas about what we can do about these fishos who show no respect or common boating etiquette?

Re: No courtesy offshore

I used to experience this regulalrly when landbased - boaties would come within 20-30 metres and often sever lines. A surf rod was kept ready, rigged with a 3oz bomb sinker on bright fluoro line, and after shouted warnings were unheeded, a big cast could put it across the bows.
    Most never came within 100m again!
    And for those who arced up...gaffs and big knives were brandished menacingly, so no altercation ever eventuated. Of course...this was when I was young and invincible! Being 6'4" and 250lbs didn't hurt, either!
    Still, I reckon a good cast ahead of the bows still works well - particularly when they realize they are well within casting distance.

i find when fishing offshore on the weekends is when i get majority of issues obviously due to more people on the water.

However of those on the weekend i think 90% are just that weekend boaties with no idea where to fish.

Most of my marks are well away from all the common spots around Moreton but i always get a boat or 10 during weekends take a big detour from the course they were heading, putt in close, do a circle of the boat and either anchor in my drift line or join me in my drift line.

It was only last week i was happily drifting my spot, and i noticed a little centre console about a Kilometer away heading straight towards the Hutchies area at full steam, suddenly turned and headed straight towards me circled my boat about 50meters away, stereo blasting away at full noise, needless to say the bite shut down nearly straight away.

main reason why i now only fish weekdays.

Quote Originally Posted by robfish 1 View Post
    I used to experience this regulalrly when landbased - boaties would come within 20-30 metres and often sever lines. A surf rod was kept ready, rigged with a 3oz bomb sinker on bright fluoro line, and after shouted warnings were unheeded, a big cast could put it across the bows.
    Most never came within 100m again!
    And for those who arced up...gaffs and big knives were brandished menacingly, so no altercation ever eventuated. Of course...this was when I was young and invincible! Being 6'4" and 250lbs didn't hurt, either!
    Still, I reckon a good cast ahead of the bows still works well - particularly when they realize they are well within casting distance.
    cheers mate. i might have a slug set up and do just that

Quote Originally Posted by barney1979 View Post
    i find when fishing offshore on the weekends is when i get majority of issues obviously due to more people on the water.

However of those on the weekend i think 90% are just that weekend boaties with no idea where to fish.

Most of my marks are well away from all the common spots around Moreton but i always get a boat or 10 during weekends take a big detour from the course they were heading, putt in close, do a circle of the boat and either anchor in my drift line or join me in my drift line.

It was only last week i was happily drifting my spot, and i noticed a little centre console about a Kilometer away heading straight towards the Hutchies area at full steam, suddenly turned and headed straight towards me circled my boat about 50meters away, stereo blasting away at full noise, needless to say the bite shut down nearly straight away.

main reason why i now only fish weekdays.
    weekdays are definately the go but unfortunately most of us have to work. and i think your right that a lot of the boaties who follow others drift lines are probably newbies. weve had many times where boaties would head straight for us at warp speed, sound around and probably mark our spot then bugger off. gotta be something we can do about it

Yep happens regularly. It has gotten to the point that I won't bring in/fight a fish while boats are powering by. They see you with a fish on and come and join you. Lost some fish doing this but not as many as if I had people joining me all the time.

Happens everywhere. On shore Ive had a guy anchor virtually on top of my lines. Out on the water I had a guy race up to me, settle in my berley trail, sit there for maybe 10 minutes then race off again at full noise.

As for jet skis....

On Saturday I thought I would anchor well away from any structure or common spot where no none would bother me, within half an hour I had four new friends anchored within 50M of me, one bloke motored over and over my burley trail and then anchored pretty much on top of my anchor FFS, just no clue at all.

I'm a new boaty, still havn't taken mine offshore. Its hard work finding marks no doubt, but its just plain a$$hole to do what these guys do. I've been out on charters and with mates and without a doubt it happens every time I've been out... Age has no significance to who does it either... I've seen old blokes do it and young people.

Its a sheep mentality, and also lazyness and also just not knowing its wrong as well..People are stupid, some just don't care and others are just rude... given all these combinations your bound to run into a few idiots offshore from such densely populated areas... could be worse though, you could not be out there in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsrule View Post
    cheers mate. i might have a slug set up and do just that
    And worst case scenario - and you actually hit their boat...well, they WERE well within a good cast, weren't they?
    A bit hard to take you to task when they were so bloody close!

Thanks for the replies fellas. A mate of mine suggested to name and shame these guys by taking a photo of them and their boat and posting it up on all the popular forums. That might deter them from doing what they do and start showing some respect. I might do just that too

Great idea, i'll start, Tinnie with blue bimini named "Wet dreams", learn some fishing etiquette mate.

I was at one of my less commonly fished spots in the bay a few weeks ago and was having a pretty good session. I had a guy in a 6m or so came over and pretty much tried to muscle my 4.5m off my drift. He didn't hang around for that long once I start throwing old pillys that had been sitting in the sun all morning and had gone mushy right in to his boat. I got some pretty good throws in to cause he was that close. Best part was when he took off giving me the finger and I just waved good bye.

catching a fish that you have searched and worked for is much more satisfying then catching a fish that has been burlied to old mates boat

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsrule View Post
    weekdays are definately the go but unfortunately most of us have to work. and i think your right that a lot of the boaties who follow others drift lines are probably newbies. weve had many times where boaties would head straight for us at warp speed, sound around and probably mark our spot then bugger off. gotta be something we can do about it
    If you think your problems will go away by fishing weekdays, you'll be sorely disappointed. I fish exclusively weekdays and I can tell you it happens without fail if you fish the artis over at Harrys, Peel or Choochie which is the reason why I no longer bother. It's just not worth the aggravation.
    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck