Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No courtesy offshore

Re: No courtesy offshore

Yep will always happen. Have had a couple of dive boats being rude lately too. One came up to the waverider buoy and 2 guys jumped straight in right next to the buoy. Problem was there were 5 boats all doing the right thing at the time and taking turns motoring up and drifting past flicking lures and baits. To add to this the divers had no flag nor did the boat. Was about a 7m aquamaster platey. Next one was a white haines looking thing called Hammerhead that sat and watched as I was trolling some shallow reef off moreton then when I went by on a lap all 3 occupants jumped in and swam over to the line I was trolling. Again no flags on boat or diver. Made it pretty tough to see them on my return lap but they raised there heads when I didn't detour. Just plain rude!
    Cheers
    Leo

Friggin divers, where are the sharks when you need them

Finally somone has raised this. I;ve been thinking for some time that maybe I'm just not used to the different city ettiquite in fishing (I come from up north originally). It seems however that many others are getting mighty p!ssed off with the these boaties and their idea of personal fishing space. For me, if you are closer than 100 metres to another boat, then you are too close (let alone the 20 m that seems to be the norm out the bay). And the blowflies! What sort of self satisfaction do they get from motoring up to someone on the anchor, clicking your GPS and stealing the spot they are on? Where's the enjoyment of reading the conditions, doing the research and finding a spot by your own iniative? If you want fish that bad, go to the fish monger. Please.

I used to regularly fish a spot out the bay away from the main boat armada up until recently and would do quite well most trips. Almost every time I'd arrive to the spot empty, and after being anchored up for an hour or so other boats would come over and either anchor close making more noise than a Metallica concert, or would roar in at speed, slow down and click the spot into the GPS. This spot used to be always free of boats on arrival - now, there is always a boat there no matter what time I arrive (usually well before sunrise). And usually within about 20 m of my mark. 20 m means they couldn't have fluked the same place, so its definitely the blowflies who haven't enough skill nor self-respect to find their own spots through exploration.

Well I guess this is not changing fast, so I better get used to moving alot more out there. Problem is, a lot of more experienced bay fishos then me are already doing this and still getting the same issues with these imbeciles.

What shits me is when you burley up and have done for 2-3 hours and these soft plastic junkies drive right up beside you and drift your trail. now I don't mind throwing plastics but is the idea of using lures and plastics to cover ground
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmfun View Post
    What shits me is when you burley up and have done for 2-3 hours and these soft plastic junkies drive right up beside you and drift your trail. now I don't mind throwing plastics but is the idea of using lures and plastics to cover ground
    That would really annoy the hell out of me too

Quote Originally Posted by acronin View Post
    Finally somone has raised this. I;ve been thinking for some time that maybe I'm just not used to the different city ettiquite in fishing (I come from up north originally). It seems however that many others are getting mighty p!ssed off with the these boaties and their idea of personal fishing space. For me, if you are closer than 100 metres to another boat, then you are too close (let alone the 20 m that seems to be the norm out the bay). And the blowflies! What sort of self satisfaction do they get from motoring up to someone on the anchor, clicking your GPS and stealing the spot they are on? Where's the enjoyment of reading the conditions, doing the research and finding a spot by your own iniative? If you want fish that bad, go to the fish monger. Please.

I used to regularly fish a spot out the bay away from the main boat armada up until recently and would do quite well most trips. Almost every time I'd arrive to the spot empty, and after being anchored up for an hour or so other boats would come over and either anchor close making more noise than a Metallica concert, or would roar in at speed, slow down and click the spot into the GPS. This spot used to be always free of boats on arrival - now, there is always a boat there no matter what time I arrive (usually well before sunrise). And usually within about 20 m of my mark. 20 m means they couldn't have fluked the same place, so its definitely the blowflies who haven't enough skill nor self-respect to find their own spots through exploration.

Well I guess this is not changing fast, so I better get used to moving alot more out there. Problem is, a lot of more experienced bay fishos then me are already doing this and still getting the same issues with these imbeciles.
    Things wont change anytime soon or may never change. But we can probably reduce the number of boaties doing this by disclosing who the imbeciles are by taking a photo of them and posting it up on forums like ausfish

This whole thing about my spot, and that no one could ever find it is really quite stupid, to the point that some truly believe their navigating their own little version of the Endeavour and struck uncharted land. If you leave for a fishing trip and find someone on “your spot x”, then why do some people instantly assume someone snagged it off yourself through pinging, as that’s the only way it could ever be found it’s that secret?

Same as the bloke who’s already out their fishing on your “spot x”, and he’s thinking that someone's coming up to ping him, as he could also be of the belief that his own little “spot x” was solely discovered by himself aboard his little Endeavour.

The last time i checked GPS and FF’s are on most boats so their could be quite a lot of people with the same mark, and if either party is so aggrieved then they have the option to move on, or here’s a thought share. Fair dinkum sometimes when I read these types of threads I reckon their must be a lot only kids out their who have never had to share with a sibling.

Then throw into the mix the flinging of lead that get’s brought up all the time in these types of threads, and you have the recipe for things to go pear shaped real fast, and over what, someone's belief that they are James Cook and have discovered their own spot on the ocean that no one else can fish. Throw a chunk of lead and hit someone in the head and kill them, and when people assume it must have been for something heinous like someone raping your girlfriend/burning your house down etc, however you could correct them and say nah, someone fished to close, and I'm sure a judge would respond favourably with such reasoning in why you took a life.

The whole brandishing of knives and throwing sinkers should be pulled down immediately as it may give readers of this forum the idea that this sort of mentality is appropriate.

In saying the above no i don’t fish to close, and I’m not a fan of it, and have never pinged a spot, however some people don’t know as they may be new to boating.

What I do know is that all people go out to have some fun on the water, not to get into ridiculous pissing contests of who found what and who deserves to fish a spot.

If people need to put things into perspective, take a trip to your local Cancer ward and then you won’t give a shit!

Jigsrule what I think we all need to appreciate is that its not the members of forums like this (hopefully) people who have a sense of what fishing and boating should be about and who do care, its the clowns that dont give a stuff about anyone except themselves and if they weren't members of a forum they wouldn't know, therefore probably wouldn't care if photos were placed on here and elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents worth.

@ fishing111. Fair point that we all have what we think are our 'own spot X' when many may have similar or the same points. For me however, I know I was pinged ( I saw it happen in front of me quite a few times. AND I saw distinct changes in behaviour - a spot that has been empty conssitently now has someone anchored on everytime I go (which is much more than my wife likes :-) ). AND those anchored are within approx 20 m of my orginal personally found mark. Like you said though, we don't own the ocean (or the bay) - the precise reason why I've taken to moving around a lot more now.

In any endeavour there must always be some sort of respect between each participant . Often that respect is stated through the way people carry themselves and adhere to unwritten rules. For our endeavour of fishing, we need to understand that our actions affects others (like anchoring too close and making heaps of noise or seeking out others to get spot X and not doing your own homework). Be mindful of these impacts and respect others and we can all play happily in the ocean around us. Certainly I believe I'm playing the game by adjusting my behaviours to deal with the lack of respect of others - I am choosing to move around a lot more and move further afield rather than stay on Spot X all of the time and complain. I would certainly like to see others extend to me the same respect by understanding the impact of their own actions and adjusting their behaviours to suit. One can only hope.

Some great replies. Cheers fellows
    Sharkcat - those guys may not care but it would make me feel a whole lot better naming and shaming them
    Fishing111 - thanks for the input. True we dont own the ocean or a spot x but when we are fishing an area, its nice to have a little respect instead of someone flying behind your boat at close range at 30knots per hour. Throwing sinkers or smelly bait has crossed my mind but i think id rather name and shame the fools
    Acronin - couldnt of said it better myself

Josh fishing areas such a 29s, 33, 35, patch you are more than likely to have this happen. These are major reef systems everyone knows about and most people fish when weather good. I know alot of guys that think its their spot x and they own spot lol.
    To be honest Its not hard to find ground in these areas. So of the marks you are fishing someone else might have too.
    I know it frustrates me when someone else fishing close to or on a spot i intended to fish but hey what can you do. Everyone goes out to have fun.
    Like others said if you dont like fishing in a crowd fish weekday if not that fish deeper mate or at night.

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by fishing111 View Post
    This whole thing about my spot, and that no one could ever find it is really quite stupid, to the point that some truly believe their navigating their own little version of the Endeavour and struck uncharted land. If you leave for a fishing trip and find someone on “your spot x”, then why do some people instantly assume someone snagged it off yourself through pinging, as that’s the only way it could ever be found it’s that secret?

Same as the bloke who’s already out their fishing on your “spot x”, and he’s thinking that someone's coming up to ping him, as he could also be of the belief that his own little “spot x” was solely discovered by himself aboard his little Endeavour.

The last time i checked GPS and FF’s are on most boats so their could be quite a lot of people with the same mark, and if either party is so aggrieved then they have the option to move on, or here’s a thought share. Fair dinkum sometimes when I read these types of threads I reckon their must be a lot only kids out their who have never had to share with a sibling.

Then throw into the mix the flinging of lead that get’s brought up all the time in these types of threads, and you have the recipe for things to go pear shaped real fast, and over what, someone's belief that they are James Cook and have discovered their own spot on the ocean that no one else can fish. Throw a chunk of lead and hit someone in the head and kill them, and when people assume it must have been for something heinous like someone raping your girlfriend/burning your house down etc, however you could correct them and say nah, someone fished to close, and I'm sure a judge would respond favourably with such reasoning in why you took a life.

The whole brandishing of knives and throwing sinkers should be pulled down immediately as it may give readers of this forum the idea that this sort of mentality is appropriate.

In saying the above no i don’t fish to close, and I’m not a fan of it, and have never pinged a spot, however some people don’t know as they may be new to boating.

What I do know is that all people go out to have some fun on the water, not to get into ridiculous pissing contests of who found what and who deserves to fish a spot.

If people need to put things into perspective, take a trip to your local Cancer ward and then you won’t give a shit!
    a brilliant post !!!
    I sympathise with everyone that this happens too, happened to me countless times. including a guy who I anchored up next to, around 100meters away, who powered up came over and gave me a serve, he wanted much more room, he said he'd been fishing the area for 40 years and I was to close ! we have to be carefull we don't become too "precious". ther's a spot near eden, green cape, when the kingies are on, there would be 50 boats, all trying to get on the reef, sometimes drifting within 5-10 meters of each other, gets real tight ! some, wave arms and say they were there first, but, in general, its about everyones right to have a go, and most guys there work in brilliantly.
    ive never ever read on a forum that someone has fessed up and admitted they've encroached on someone elses burley trail etc, but I bet we all have at some point ! lets not be too precious about things, its a vicious learning curve, which we all suddenly click too !
    when it happens to me, I glare, if no response and they stay, I anchor up and go somewhere else ! annoying but that's life
    those special marks we think are our secret spots, have been fished for decades, its just a cycle ! there's plenty of room and places to retreat too, its no biggy really ! as for the sinker flick, well, ridiculos, where does it end, or who makes the decision there right and justified ! not good
    just my opinion
    bonneville

I guess its about what is reasonable though, I was abused recently for being about 150M away from a bloke too but its was the only bit if structure in the area so I thought that was unreasonable but if someone comes and plonks within spitting distance then its just plain ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by shane69 View Post
    Josh fishing areas such a 29s, 33, 35, patch you are more than likely to have this happen. These are major reef systems everyone knows about and most people fish when weather good. I know alot of guys that think its their spot x and they own spot lol.
    To be honest Its not hard to find ground in these areas. So of the marks you are fishing someone else might have too.
    I know it frustrates me when someone else fishing close to or on a spot i intended to fish but hey what can you do. Everyone goes out to have fun.
    Like others said if you dont like fishing in a crowd fish weekday if not that fish deeper mate or at night.

Shane
    Gday mate. True what you say and its all good fishing in the same vicinity cos everyone might have same or similar marks but its not good if someone flys straight over your drift line at warp speed and close range

Bonneville, its all good to share the ocean but sometimes its just plain obvious when someone shows a total lack of respect for others

Crunchy, true mate. When they come that close, its best to say something without being too offensive at first