Thread: Snapper Blank Suggestions

Snapper Blank Suggestions

Hi to all,

I am looking at replacing my Ugly Stick snapper rods and would like to hear recommendations and suggestions for overhead rod blanks. I intend to build them up myself as I can't seem to find what I'm looking for off the shelf. I fish for snapper (bait) mainly in port phillip bay and use 6kg braid or 8kg mono. I use Calcutta 400 & ABU 5/6000 series overhead reels. The rods I want to build will have all cork grips with the bottom being 30-35cm and the top grip 15cm. The blank needs to have a soft tip action and be around 1.8 to 2 mtrs length.
    Thanks in advance to all replies.

Re: Snapper Blank Suggestions

Soft tip action is a relative term...
    If your after a fast action with a sensitive tip then I'd look at.a Samurai NV7.
    http://www.therodworks.com.au/109-Sa...urai-NV07.html
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

shimano Terez
    "We gave Howard the Arse now we have to fix Rudd"
    "Now we have to sort Gillard" F@?k me RUDD again
    Abbott and Newman what a great next few years "NOT"

Tewantin - I've made up 2 rods for PPB snapper fishing using MHX blanks L844 (Light saltwater series), 7 foot long & 1 piece. I could never find overhead rods with a long enough rear grip. I use them with ABU 6500s and they're very good for the money. The tip is forgiving enough to not throw off pilchards. I bought them and all the bits from America 'cos a mate lives there but I think the Australian distributor is the Rodworks (My mate wasn't happy bringing relatively fragile 7 foot blanks back here!). I've just bought another blank, the L905-2 which is 2 piece 7 foot 6 inches long and a bit stronger, which I'm making up at the moment.

Hi Dodgemeister,
    Thanks for the advice. I too want a rod for the same reasons you describe. I like to fish lighter line for the extra sport and so I will probably look at the MHX L843. I was however hoping to keep the length at between 6' - 6' 6" as it's easier to manage in my boat but I guess I can live with it. Thanks again.

Just add little bit - you can't go past some of the MHX blanks for shear value and performance. The MHX 844 would suit perfectly. Personally, I would go a touch lighter. The 844 is a magnum style with heaps of butt end power and a fast tip. If you are planning on using plastics I would opt for the same length but a little lighter. I've also had the chance to play around with the new Bushido line of blanks. They are really powerful and very light weight. Probably the straightest blank I've seen and at a great price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    Just add little bit - you can't go past some of the MHX blanks for shear value and performance. The MHX 844 would suit perfectly. Personally, I would go a touch lighter. The 844 is a magnum style with heaps of butt end power and a fast tip. If you are planning on using plastics I would opt for the same length but a little lighter. I've also had the chance to play around with the new Bushido line of blanks. They are really powerful and very light weight. Probably the straightest blank I've seen and at a great price point.
    Thanks for the advice Mark. I've gone ahead and ordered the MHX L843 blanks. Bit of a risk ordering blanks without having them in my hand to feel first. Should turn out alright though.

You wont be disappointed.

I just thought I'd update that I built up the blanks and put them to the test recently. Very happy with the quality, action, and sensitivity of the MHX L843. Ideally suited for the purpose they were built to perform. Some photos of my basic and purposeful rod build together with one of the fish taken to christen it. Went just under 7kg.IMG_1354_edited-1.jpgIMG_1355_edited-1.jpgIMG_1358_edited-1.jpgIMG_1205_edited-1.jpg

Good job.
    Nice fish too!
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

I havn't read all the responses to your question but everyone is probably right in some way.

If I were fishing deep...ish (bottom fishing) I would most likely go for a 8 to 10 kg rod med to fast taper & use braid, however I go out off Coffs only to catch my bait fish for up north, by that I mean towing baits such as slimies & pike, this means I fish in fairly shallow water, the reeff I fish rises up from 27 metres to 11 metres I like to anchor up at about 16metres.
    I always put out two floating baits on 6kg mono line, no lead, ganged 5/0s (off set hooks), my preferred rod is lightish & fast tapering, works a treat. One of my fav rods is the samurai NV7 can't remember what the taper is, I have a few of those & they get used for barra at Awonga, totally different to snap fishing but same rod.

Hard question to answer as there are different methods of fishing for the same species & I don't want this to sound like a lesson in snapper fishing but the latter works for me, must mention that I fish a spot not too far off shore late in the afternoon & with very little current, I use a berley cage weighted with a brick which I lower down to around 4 metres, the frozen berley works a treat attracting both snaps and bait fish, I give all my snaps away & keep my baits, no word of a lie!!!!
    I totally agree with cork grips, I will eventually rebuild all my old rods and replace the grips with cork, the other stuff doesn't seem to stand the test of time.
    On a parting note my Dad used to fish off Moruya & Tuross Head, he only ever used hand lines & caught around the same numbers of fish as everyone else, he always wondered why I bothered with fishing rods.

Hope you don't mind the long rambling response with the extra non relevant info.

Cheers roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!