Thread: What age to start kids fishing offshore

What age to start kids fishing offshore

just wondering at what age all the Dads (and Mums), started to take their kids on offshore fishing trips?

my son is turning 4 this week and he loves being in the boat with me vice versa, but i have been reluctant to take him on a trip offshore thus far.

obviously boat size and conditions would have a bearing on this, but just a general question to all as to what age you started taking your kids on offshore trips?

Cheers. Joel

Re: What age to start kids fishing offshore

My boy was 5.5 and daughter 3. My rules (as negotiated with swmbo) minimum two adults with a ratio of one adult per child after that ( if I just take one child I need a mate to come as well. If taking son and daughter mum and I or mate and I) Never had need to take three kids but I reckon it would be ok two adults three kids. Swmbo would probably have different ideas. Life jackets on at all times whilst motor running. Kids can take them off whilst drifting but must be close to where we are ( ie not stashed in a locker.) The furthest I have taken them is deep Caloundra( 100m line east of Caloundra bar)

Forgot to add. I usually only consider kids outside with swell less than 1m, winds less than 10kn. I have 5.5m fibreglass half cabin with 90 ETEC.

Good question, I've got a boy who's 5 and can't wait to take him to sea, i reckon he should nearly b right, I've been taking him in he tinny for a couple years now so he'd be a bit of boat smart. Def right conditions. Still dreaming adult to kid ratio is a good idea, but my kids will have life jackets on at all times.
    How good is it fishing with ya kids especially ya boy.

Hmmm, son not keen, daughter loves it....go figure

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Hmmm, son not keen, daughter loves it....go figure
    I am in the same boat (pardon the pun). Outwide with family gentle se swell glassed out fish coming in the boat and 5 yr son goes green and vomits everywhere. He wants to go home after being out there for an hour. It is hour and half run out there! 3 yr old daughter starts giving him a hard time about being soft and we are not going home. Wife and I pissing ourselves laughing but we secured the lines and headed for home. Didn't want to scare him off for life. Daughter keeps wanting to go back to place where you can't see land and catch big fish!

My 3 and half year old has been coming on the water in various size boats since he was 2 years old and offshore since he was 2 and a half and loves it but it must be in good conditions (less than 1m swell )and he always has his life jacket on no matter what! even on the pontoon waiting to get on to the boat.
    I have taken him outside on a tinny on the sunshine coast but I also have a 20 ft half cabin which is much better as he often just gets tired and wants to have a sleep or watch a DVD which keeps him occupied if he is bored. He occasionally gets a bit green if the swell is up and in that case we just pack up and go home but all in all he loves it, so it all depends on the kid in my opinion.

I was 5 when my dad first started taking me offshore, I remember he bought a 5m seafarer venturer with a 140 blue band on the back. I had my lifey on at all times when moving but not while fishing. Was good fun and a good time to start learning. I got my sea legs early and learnt a lot about the ocean. Some days it would be nice going out and blow up at lunchtime and it would be white knuckle fever back to the boat ramp. All good memories and good times. I always trusted Dad and he trusted me. I remember I was too short to see through the windscreen so I used to stand on the foot rest, hold onto the Jesus bar with both hands and lean my head out the side of the boat to get a good view, plenty of spray was caught in the face but I loved it.

How good is it fishing with ya kids especially ya boy.[/QUOTE]

Fully agree, have really enjoyed river fishing with my son, brings back all the memories i had when i started out.

Have just been cautious taking him outside for a fish, but i think its time for him and hopefully he will have a blast.

Cheers

We bought our boat when my son was about 18 months old. He's been on it since then, fishing from around 3 yrs old but just in Moreton bay. We haven't crossed the bar yet. My daughter (7) loves her fishing but he can take it or leave it. That said though he is getting more interested now. It would probably help if we could catch some fish to take home, but they love the boat although my daughter is not a fan of the bumpy bumpy!

My kids always have their lifejackets on I thought that was the law for boats under 8m? I have a 5.35m half cab.

I reckon get them out there as soon and as often as possible, the more they are out, the less prone they are to get sick, want to come home in 5 mins and so on.

I might add, I take my grand kids out regularly, in the Ocean, and they are 4 and 7 years old, they will fish and fool around in the boat for hours. Here is a picture of my youngest grand son fishing in the tinny in the lake, just the smile on his face says it all, catching something is a big bonnus.....
    Attached Images Attached Images