Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Spin Stick 9-10ft for metals and plastics

Surf Spin Stick 9-10ft for metals and plastics

Hi,

I am headed to Fraser for a week in a months' time. I want to add another rod to the trip. I am looking at a 9-10ft spin rod which will be matched to either a Shimano TSS4 (20lb mono) or Shimano Sperhos 8000 with 30lb Braid. The main use for the rod will be chucking metal lures (up to 80g) and maybe bouncing around a large soft plastic for a jew. So I want it to be able to cast well and not be too heavy. My budget is approx $200. From some older threads I have seen some recomendations for rods such as the Penn prevail rod or a Silstar powertip.

Does anyone have any other recommendations on suitable rods.

Thanks

Re: Surf Spin Stick 9-10ft for metals and plastics

I also have a Team Daiwa advantage 4500 reel which I think may be the best match for the penn prevail. Any thoughts on other rods

I would go with the Penn Prevail. It is on special at the moment
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I had a look at the prevail in person last night. Looks very nice. Where are special are they, I'm based in Brissy

boating camping fishing has them on special 159

Hi Lachman...thought I'd throw in my two bob's worth, after just having spent time acquiring similar rods - although a little lighter.
    I was looking for rods around 9-10ft, capable of throwing 30-60g slugs for bigger salmon and baits for landbased baiting for snapper - and after using them, I'm over the moon!
    The first is a Shimano Impact Nano Travel. 4-8kg. 4 piece, 9ft and chucks 25-45 gram slugs out of sight on 6kg braid.
    The second is a dark horse...
    A Rovex Air Surf Lure rod. (Not the Prime - that's a baiting rod). 2 piece and 10ft long. Designed specifically for 6-10kg line, and 40-80gram lures. Unbelievably light!! Even lighter than some of my 7ft rods!
    I'm getting a little long in the tooth, and although a Prevail would have been ideal 20 yrs ago, I now need the rod to load up and cast for me - rather than put everything I have into each cast - after 20-30 of these casts, I'm ready for a good lie down! Years of distance casting with 5120's and overheads has worn my shoulders out.
    These two rods have just been used heavily in the last week - chasing salmon in the surf in South Australia, and although nothing over 3 kilos was caught, they left me very impressed - and a big eagle ray very unimpressed with the Rovex rod!
    The Shimano was chosen for its ability to be suitcased when I next travel by air, and would suit the TSS4 well, as mine is matched to a Shimano Aero 4000 - and I can cast it all day.
    I noticed your budget is around $200. I shopped around and picked these up for just a little over that for both!
    So I guess if you're younger than me, (and it feels like most people are!), then go the Prevail - but the others are certainly more forgiving.

Thanks for the advice robfish, but I picked up the prevail today for a good price at local tackle shop. Looking forward to giving it a workout. But will keep in mind the shimano as it sounds perfect for travel

G'day Robfish 1.

Where did you pick up the Rovex? Can't find much on the net.

Thanks, Rob.

Hi Pommy...I REALLY had to search to locate one, too. Even rang Jarvis Walker, and the sales manager, (at least, that's what he called himself) didn't know much about them, and did not know where I could get one! So much for knowing your job!

Try Dinga or the big place at Coffs. Got mine from Dinga with a free rod tube and free delivery! Josh is the most helpful guy in the tackle trade! (I'm in no way associated with them - just bloody impressed by the service!).

Pretty outstanding rod - so much so, I'm ordering a 12 footer as well next week. Currently mated with a Shimano Aero 4000 with 6kg braid, it casts 30gm slugs a country mile!

RRP is around $140, but Dinga has them with a Biscayne spin reel for WAY less atm.

Thanks, mate!

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by pommy View Post
    Thanks, mate!

Rob.
    As an aside, I'm also using a Rovex Squid Wrangler 10ft for lighter S/P work in the surf and bigger estuaries - mated to a Symetre 3000 with 3kg braid, it outperforms anything else I've played with for 10-30gms. Also from Dinga.

I need to be able to dead lift up to 4kg. Looks like these rods are very nice.... but not quite what I want for Northern NSW rock fishing.
    Thanks, Rob.

Hey Thanks Rob, this is an excellent option for my young bloke looking for a spin rod for our Fraser trip this year. Good not to overspend on an outfit that only gets used a couple of times a year.

Just picked up the Rovex air combo with the Biscayne and a spool of 15pd mono for $99 from Dinga.

Should be just the thing for your young fella - I also need a more forgiving rod these days, as the shoulders are just about shot, so I need a rod to do most of the work for me, as I can't deliver the power I once could.
    I reckon the Biscayne's definitely overkill for the 10 footer though - I feel it's better suited to the 12 footer I just received from them for balance. I'm using a Shimano Aero 4000 on my 10 footer - balances out really well, and casting is a dream. The Biscayne holds about 80-100m of 20lb mono backing, and is topped off with 250m of 10kg Sufix braid. Bloody good combo, though - for $99!

Quote Originally Posted by pommy View Post
    I need to be able to dead lift up to 4kg. Looks like these rods are very nice.... but not quite what I want for Northern NSW rock fishing.
    Thanks, Rob.
    Ha ha! Wish I could say I needed a rod that was able to deadlift 4kgs - I have to settle for about 2kg deadlifts down here! And even that's a rarity.