Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: the low down on cobia please.

Re: the low down on cobia please.

Alright then its Tranter I didn't mean to try to fool ya Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull01 View Post
    With your excrement smell and literacy skills are you 2?
    Bull, what do you mean by 2? Don't forget, besides my Literacy skill, s I've also got Eliteracy

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    I wish that TRANTOR guy would stop taking the bowl selfies !!! Although Cobes dont mind the odd blind mullet floated down the burley trail just like them remoras.
    No bowl selfies on here Greg, maybe an after bowl pic may be allowed

Got this bugger yesdy while fishing gc ne36s for snapper, dunno why I bothered in ne winds but, only a few snaps but great bycatch.

20140730_151134.jpg
    Cruisecraft 575 explorer.."Dont tell mum"

That is how I caught my first cobia at Caloundra Wide. Now I want to target them. Have you tried the flesh yet? It is superb! How good do they fight? Just a great all round fish.

Cooked some up, quite fatty? for fish but tastes great. and yep great fight, all round good fun, just need a bigger esky on board and more ice.
    Cruisecraft 575 explorer.."Dont tell mum"

Caught this boofhead on a handline while fishing for spotties..stomach contents in the foreground give an indication of why the flesh is such good chewing..hooked into his/her mate 30 seconds after landing this one but lost it after the hook straightened ..fantastic fighting fish and as mentioned before can be found in the vicinity of floating objects,rays,turtles etc..often caught as bycatch with a floating live bait/pilchard for spaniards, also when getting your first glimpse boatside ,they can be confused with a hooked shark as they have the same stout muscular body..cobia crabs.jpg

Got one yesterday fishing from my yak up north of Teewah on patches of coffee rock out behind the breakers. Was trolling a 10 inch slimey mackerel secretly hoping for a stray Spanish but cobes are a regular capture in the area at this time of year so wasn't surprised to land it.

Also lost a couple earlier that I would name as cobes too with a typical fight that includes swimming up to the surface early to check out what has hooked them before taking off on a good run.

Love your videos Just chips..fantastic stuff..!!...though it does makes me wince when you haul those spanish in across your legs like that..

Hey Mate,

I have been fishing off shore on the sunshine coast for about 6 years or so.........always caught these as a by catch............until about 3 months ago I put a new sounder on the boat went out to murphys reef area and found a huge show of bait and had the best days fishing in over 30 years of sea angling no matter what I did I could not miss them I caught 6 cobia in total and lost some other fish during this session along with small ambos and trevally I dropped down live baits, big z mans on 2 once jig heads, slabs of recently dead baits and 85 gram chrome jigs and just could not fail to connect using all of these techniques including double hook ups with drifted livies and jigging! also hooked a mako whilst drifting this run as well which kept me busy for a while..........I've been back out to this area and never repeated this success seems like it was right place right time but the new sounder played a big part in finding me a huge show of bait fish which I just marked and kept drifting through in fact I was amazed at how easy it was to hook these Cobia after so many years with out catching 1 in fact my fishing has improved drastically since investing in better electronics and has giving me renewed enthusiasm when I am on the water, find some bait shoals .........drift through with baits and jigs and with any luck you'll find something hungry to rip your arms off.

regards

Paul

Almost too long ago to rate a mention because fishing has changed a bit since 1998 when I caught my horse 37Kg Cobia northern Moreton bay with a livie spun up at the 4 beacons.... Still a photo there if you click on my avitar... So I know how hard they pull, role like a crock when trying to get them into the boat. Since then I would not visit the 7's off south passage bar without dropping 50 Gram micro jigs with assist hooks there.... A few years back TimD, Matt Chew and I were kept busy. The boys bagged out and I was only 1 short of my bag, but someone had to do the skipper and netting duties ( that's my excuse and I am sticking to it )

I find they are a bit hit and miss, have tried exactly the same approach at the 7's another 4 trips without a touch. Don't know how to specifically target them, but look out if they are around, awesome fish in every respect, and the flesh doesn't fall apart easily whichever way you cook it. Noice!

Scalem

I also tend to get them as a bycatch except for one spot off the tip of Fraser where they regularly come onto a bommie, especially if you run a diesel motor as they seem to be attracted to the thump of it as trawlers used to dump their offal there. Best bait we found for them was the old C*ck on a Sock, a pillie shoved up a nice squid and floated down without any weight.

Oops, got the sock and c**know back to front, result of cabin fever and a few beers

went out sunday to chase some cobia, deployed some livies and drifted around some spoil ground, decided to flick some plastics around on my light gear and what do you know I hook a cobia on it, towed us around for an hour rising to the surface 4 or 5 times, eventually lost it but estimated to be around 1.4m so I never had a chance on a 4-8kg stick and 20lb........any one else targeting a few? hopefully they are starting to show up