Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: the low down on cobia please.

the low down on cobia please.

I recently caught my first legal cobia by arse. Floating a pillie out the back while bottom bashing.
    My family and friends have fallen in love with the flesh and I the fight they put up.
    After info on when where and how to catch them more regularly. General info not after your spot x.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: the low down on cobia please.

Aren't they great on the chew!! And as you say, put up a great fight. I only ever catch them as by catch, similar to yourself, so I'll be looking forward to the replies as well.

Tony

Hooked onto one at Mermaid but lost it when it jumped off the Gaff!!!

Was also float lining a Pillie...

i have found live baiting the northern channel markers with undersized squire and taylor work well best cobe i have landed so far was 17kg a friggin horse bent my gaff IMG_0844[1].jpgbut the mags say they get way bigger
    happy days ahead summer is coming

The fight was awesome. Got him to the side of the boat and when he saw the gaff he as off again. Closest I have ever been to a smoking reel!!. Huge adrenaline rush when it hit the deck. Dad wasn't confident with gaff so I swam it head first into net dad was holding and I tail grabbed it and threw it in to boat.

Searched on here and found a post by lucky Phil. Called them crab eaters and sure enough the one I caught had a gullet full of shell and nippers. Anyone tried floating a crab to catch them?

If they are around a half a sandcrab will get them motivated! Or a big green king prawn. They love 'em!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Like most of the type of fish, they like structure.

Yes , they are crab eaters and not sure if I posted the pics and info, but one of the 2 Cobes I got off 1770 was full of crabs...

They will take a live bait and well presented dead bait.

Most success I have had with Cobes is around wrecks and butterflied Yakka slowly drifted back in the current.

Certainly around the shipping chanel markers in Moreton Bay have produced them.

My tips for Cobes.

Once hooked, don't even think about a Gaff shot, wait until after the " second " run. And clear the deck of your boat, the big ones can break ya leg if they are brought into the boat too " green ". They taset good and freeze well.

Another thing is..... they travel in pairs......... think about it

below is a Cobe I pulled off a wreck in 104mtrs.

and if you want to see something funny < including catching Cobes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 21-07-2014 at 05:37 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

cant go past a good pinnacle/reef or structure that holds live bait... they are also known for swimming under manta rays.. so if you are eva lucky enough too see a manta ray flick out a big plastic or bait let it sink below the ray if a black king is there it will be game on... watch them when you get them in the boat they can be dangerous at times and known for thrashing about...i give them a wack with the bat boat side before bringing aboard
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

There used to be a bloke on here called Cobiaman that used to catch them all the time. Whatever happened to him, he knew all about how to catch them?

A couple more pics for you Andy. The twin Cobes went 22 and 24kg..
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    There used to be a bloke on here called Cobiaman that used to catch them all the time. Whatever happened to him, he knew all about how to catch them?

Andy I have been lucky enough to fish with this bloke your talking about and your right he just knows where and when to target these brutes. I remember on one occasion we were fishing a wreck off the northern tip of Moreton Island and he was just slaying them and myself and Horse couldn't even loose a bait. On that particular day I think he caught 8 all ranging from 12kg up 23kg.

I've asked him to take me back out there for another crack at them and he isn't even interested.

I didn't know about the second run but soon learnt about it. Down to my last kilo of fillets need to get another one. A few more questions?
    What season is best?
    Do they surface feed? When it is glassed out running back from Cal Wide I often see a diameter of 20m of surface disturbances that smash the surface in their hurry to get away from boat.
    Phil you said they're often in pairs, do they school up?

a pic of my first legal cobia 110cm and just over 10kg

Ive had no success at them either.. Would the artificials off south straddy be worth a shot? I have tried a couple times but only hooked a marlin lol