Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trailer protection - Lanolin vs Tectyl

Re: Trailer protection - Lanolin vs Tectyl

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Mate I can post some pics of the finished xtroll product if you like. It's the bees knees of protection in my book.

Cheers
    That would be great if you could mate. Thanks

Tectyl 506 does not stay sticky it forms a hard skin, After a year or so you can see cracks in it. Lanolin is the one I have found to permanently stay tacky, binding dirt to the trailer.

Regards
    Honda

You blokes will probably think I am nuts.

When I purchased my 70's boat it was on a 20yr old Redco trailer. The springs, axles & hubs were shot & replaced. The frame and cross members were quite good except for rust underneath. I wire wheeled all rust and cold gal painted any metal were the gal was gone. Then I painted the total frame with Penetrol (inside the frame with garden sprayer). Then painted with Kill Rust Primer (2 coats) and finished with 2 coats of KillRust hammer fish in gunmetal grey. Then painted underneath, all springs, axles, hubs with Tectyl.

Lot of work but 4 years on it still looks like the day I did it. No rust under the paint and none inside the frame that I can see. Told my wife I saved thousands over buying a new trailer - she reckons the amount of beer I drank while doing it I could have bought 3 new trailers

Here are some photos - its Xtroll x 2 rust conqueror and 2 coats of xtroll Ezygalv over the top - the 2 lock together nicely.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Nice one mate, looks really good.
    Did you leave the rollers on when you sprayed the conqueror, or are they naturally that shiny?

As a side note, I made a web enquiry to XTroll, they followed up promptly with an email containing the name and number of one of the technicians. Gave him a bell and he was really helpful and more than interested in talking about the product and suitability for my application.

Cheers,
    Scott.

Trailer protection - Lanolin vs Tectyl

Sweet Scott.

Haha...you caught me being lazy with my prep! The old rollers Looked sweet for a while.

Cheers mate
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Do they make electrical rust inhibitors for trailors like the ones marketed for 4wd's? You know the little black boxes? I have wondered if these are a viable option?

Hello All,
    1. Penetrol
    I used a wire brush in an angle grinder to remove all existing rust and then applied several coats of Penetrol and sat back and watched the rust come through the Penetrol within a couple of months.
    Penetrol 0, rust 1.
    2. Electronics
    I had an ERPS unit professionally installed and watched the car go rusty.
    When I complained to the manufacturer he gave me spray can of what smelled like fisholene.
    ERPS 0, rust 1.

xTroll Conqueror ordered, will apply next week.
    Will post a few pics once done.

Scott.