Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Spanish off the beach at Inskip

Re: Large Spanish off the beach at Inskip

Got a trophy there mate congrats, how's the head on it

Cheers

Awesome work, congrats. It really doesn't get any better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by -Shay- View Post
    Cheers guys.

Scorpo92 - In a nutshell, using quite heavy gear (Im currently using a custom made 14ft graphite rod and Daiwa saltist BG50) you throw out a grapnel sinker (in this case 6 oz) once the sinker has settled and is holding firm you clip on the bait using a slide clip (in this case a dead bonito, was using live tailor last year on fraser and plan to do the same again this year) then you jig the rod/if its live the fish swims out towards your sinker and then you sit and wait!

Allows you to cast your sinker a long way, and get big baits out into the strike zone, and unlike swimming a bait conventionally with or without a balloon you dont have to spend ages guiding and hoping he goes where you want. If your bait is live he has a very limited zone he can swim in (aka the direction of your line) and if dead well hes going to slide exactly where you want, no swimming happening there.

Just wondering what size hooks you were using on the slide setup + method of attaching the dead bonito ??

I am very interested in giving this method of fishing a go.
    Any tips would be great.
    Thanks.

G'day Graeme. Was using 10/0 gamakatsu circle hooks. Have used 8/0 before with successful hookups (just being spooled or had the line cut)

Used a two hook rig, with the second hook snelled with 100lb wire and put one hook in the shoulders and one at the tail if that is what you mean.

Cheers everyone else for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by -Shay- View Post
    G'day Graeme. Was using 10/0 gamakatsu circle hooks. Have used 8/0 before with successful hookups (just being spooled or had the line cut)

Used a two hook rig, with the second hook snelled with 100lb wire and put one hook in the shoulders and one at the tail if that is what you mean.

Cheers everyone else for the kind words!
    Awesome couta there Shay,I have been using slide for ages now and have caught mostly sharks and big rays. Never got a Spanish, I got a big cod off the rocks at Indian head last year, but that's it. Very nice fish, shows they do come in close at times to chase the bait fish. Do you make up your own no return clips?
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

I got my slide baiting rigs in the mail today.
    I ordered weighted & unweighted rigs.
    This will be a completely new way of fishing for me & I am excited to test it out.

I hope I hook up a large spanish.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide baiting rig.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	104106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	823971.jpg 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	104107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8535416.jpg 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	104108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9008395.jpg 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	104109  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey Meg-A-Bite

Not making our own clips at the moment. Tried making them out of tig wire, and although they were super easy to make they were too soft for our liking so got a bunch of stainless steel ones. Have had quotes on buying some stainless steel and have practised a little bit but need to get better at the soldering stage before making them in good numbers.

Good luck Graeme!

Nice work Shay that is a beautiful fish.
    I followed your Fraser reports last year and it was great reading, thanks for making the effort.

Thanks Graeme, yep I had a crack at making them, but were not as good as the ones I get from a friend in SA. So now I just get him to send me 50 when I need more. The sinkers are more of an issue. I need to get a mould to start making my own with the SS wire prongs.
    Life is short fish hard!!!
    21,6 Sea Fox WA Pro ....

Hey MEG-A-BITE

We got a mould from the UK and my local tackle store (who I also play cricket with) make up the sinkers for me. Much cheaper than buying the BCF or other sinkers!! Best decision ever.

Here is another photo I got from my old man. It makes the fish look really small from the perspective haha, but it does show great hook placement!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	104111

So whee does the ring with swivel attached go? and what is it for?
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

You can see in the pictures graeme posted where it says "bait ends up here"

You tie your leader to the swivel, and your sinker breakaway line to the other end, that way the bait slides out and stops at the ring, on your heavy leader and off the bottom of the ocean.

Where do you buy the non return clips?

Shay and just chips don't give away our secret with slides. We use these to target big Spanish and sharks up at Fraser. Worked very well last year with some good size sharks, no Spanish but while have a few more bait out this year. Fraser trip only 4 weeks away so a little excited after this years mackerel season and not to mention the size of some mackerel being caught off the beach lately, apparently some guy got a 35kg Spanish of double island point (surf beach) during the rainbow fishing comp.