Thread: Navara towing a 6m Boat diesel or petrol ?

Navara towing a 6m Boat diesel or petrol ?

I'm thinking about purchasing a ST Navara 2.5 L. Probably about a 2010 - 2012 model.

Has anybody towed a 6m boat (about 2 - 2.5t) with one ? I don't want to buy one if I can only do 90kms up hills as I will be towing the boat from Brisbane to Agnes Water.

Should I go diesel or petrol and what would the difference be in fuel consumption while towing ?

Cheers

Brett.

Re: Navara towing a 6m Boat diesel or petrol ?

Thats a fairly heavy load for that little engine mate. Definitely diesel for towing.
    Last edited by scorpo92; 25-06-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo

I've got a 100 series wagon now but looking at a dual cab.

The petrols are pretty heavy on fuel. The diesels are ok. Regardless of which engine make sure it is an automatic. Some people have had major issues with clutches due to the lack of torque at low rpm. Me personally I would be looking at the utes that have engines at the top end of the cubic capacities for the number of cylinders you wish to have in an automatic.

Navara towing a 6m Boat diesel or petrol ?

Hi jag078,
    Have a read here...
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/arc.../t-140971.html

The current ST D40 you are considering has the same engine. I ended up doing quite a few trips to 1770 towing my 685 with it. It did a pretty good job considering it's a small donk, but as Scott says, go the auto. Consumption will be up but the clutch is the weak point, even towing smaller boats, especially if your driveway is up or down hill etc.

V6 diesel would be heaps better, but will cost you! Other current 5cyl Ranger and BT50 are better towing options than the Nav2.5, and the Collie will be better too.

A mate has the same boat as me, with steel trailer, and has towed it to 1770 many times with his V6 petrol D40. Consumption is way up, 30-35 L/100km!!

Another mate has a 685 explorer and previously a 625. He had a STX 2.5 manual then a 2.5 auto, and towed both boats with both utes to 1770 many times. Auto chewed approx 25-35% more fuel, but don't think he drove it with the aim to keep the auto T/Converter locked up as much as possible. This makes a huge difference in consumption.

More cubes = more torque ( generally) = better towing.

I would go the diesel, but in your case it depends on how often you plan on towing, and towing that distance, and if you can live without the zip that the V6 petrol will provide.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

I have a V6 Navara diesel and tow a 6m boat long distances all the time. I can hardly notice the boat on the back as far as hills are concerned and the fuel consumption is around 12-13l/100 kilometers. The 2.5l will definitely struggle even though it is rated to tow up to 3 tonnes and judging from friends who have the same ute the fuel consumption is much higher than the larger capacity V6.

Hi mate. I've bought new a 2011 st diesel 2.5 and tow very regularly boats and caravans weighing between 1800kg to 3000kg. honestly it doesn't struggle at all. Tows a 2200kg full height off road caravan easily at 100km an hour with power to burn for overtaking.

Fuel consumption around town is about 10/100 and towing same van above is around 15/100. I will seriously look to buy another when the time comes. Mine is a manual.

Although only 2.5l above 1800rpm it is as good as the v6 navara diesel that I drive at work. I used to own a petrol d22 Stx and can tell you definitely buy the diesel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might add I now have 60k on it with a new set of tyres at 52k and not one clutch issue. In fact the only warranty issues have been very minor and well handled by nissan even when contentious for wear and tear. I am told the clutch issues were fixed in 2010/2011.

41k for new series 7 st auto with options looks like a very good option. Although the new model comes out next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,
    I have a D40 STX 2.5 2010 manual (140Kw model), with Steinbauer power chip and upgraded OME suspension (medium springs). Towed a 7m costal cat loaded no problems, around 2.8t. Sits on 100k without dramas on the highway. Owner of the boat had towed on a lot of other vehicles (I think his regular tow was a Patrol) regularly to 1770 and claimed the Navara sat as good or better than any other vehicles he had towed with, and had enough power.
    It does have a full suspension upgrade with medium rear springs (the stock suspension is pretty ordinary after not a lot of klm), which I believe helps the ride a lot. I had the previous 127Kw version D40, these would struggle a fair bit.
    If Steinbauer are correct, they claim around 167Kw and 540Nm from memory with the chip. It definitely has more grunt than stock and the difference is noticeable.

Around 8-10L/100klm standard around town, but doubled the consumption towing the cat sitting on 100klm.

A lot of people told me the Nav would not tow this size cat. Since owning the vehicle and trying with the mates boat, it performs a lot better than I expected and certainly better than most people (who had not really tried from what I can tell) advised. I have since spoken to guys towing a 2300 Noosa Cat (over 3t) also on a D40 (trips to 1770) and they agree it does it fine.

Sure they are not a V8 Landcruiser, but don't assume the Nav will not do it. With a 2.5t mono I think you would be ok. They have a very long wheelbase (longest of all the dua cab utes and longer than Landcruisers) which I think helps how they sit on the road. Suspension is a weak point though particularly if it has a lot of Klms, the previous D40 I had was completely buggered by 70000Klm. Clutches have been ok for me, but i am not too brutal on them. I would agree you would ned to be gentle, first gear is fairly tall. Low range off the ramp always.
    New Navaras are expected out December/Jan (full specs not released yet), and hopefully will jump to 3.5t going like all most all the other dual cabs are going to. they will be a completely new platform.

Cheers.

I had an 08 BT50 with a five speed towing a 625 Cruise Craft loaded to the hilt. I did burn a clutch out going up Fraser but replaced it with a hd clutch and Mazda came to the party under warranty. It did a couple Brisbane to Bowen trips and heaps to 1770 in the time I had that set up.

Whats wrong with doing 90 up hills?? On the big hills youll be going 20 km/h faster than me.

I have an 2011 2.5 manual chipped (so same as 140kw ST model) Have 100k on it and tow my 2.7T mono every where. I actually like the ute better than my 100 series petrol for towing the boat. Have not had one issue with the clutch or anything else and I tow boats all the time (the previous model had a bitch of a clutch 2009 model)
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I ended up buying a 2012 Spain built Navara manual with the 140kw motor after talking with Darren J, I am extremely happy with the way it tows, handling and fuel consumption. We did a trip up to Agnes at Christmas towing the boat with two car seats in the back and the wife when the kids got a bit bored, the wife said the ride was a bit bouncy at times but not too bad.

I must say a big thank you to Darren J as he definitely made my decision much easier.