Thread: Product revue - Frabill Landing Nets.

Product revue - Frabill Landing Nets.

Took one of my neighbours for a blat in the tinny yesterday down around the pin looking for a feed of flatty's yesterday. Ended up with 4 and a decent bream all on lures. The biggest success of the trip though was my flash new Frabill landing net. I had caught a glimse of these on an Escape with ET segment some time ago and thought I must check them out. They are a retractable net that is available in three different sizes that when stowed, stores the netting inside the handle - out of the way so it can't tangle in everything that gets within 2 feet of it. I chose the middle size as the most suitable for my needs - stowed it is 130cm long. The small size has, due to design constraints, quite a small scoop size. The large is snapper size. They are not totally without issue in so much that hooks can get caught in the netting and we found out yesterday they have to be in a particular orientation or they will jamb when you attempt to retract them but these in my opinion are inconveniences I can live with for the advantages that they provide. They are expensive - the mid size net was $110.00 but once again I was obviously happy to pay for the convenience of having a net that is easily stowed. If you are as sick of your landing net getting in the way as I was and are looking for a solution, check them out. Two thumbs up from me.

Re: Product revue - Frabill Landing Nets.

seen them at the snake shop and wondered whether they would have the strength to cope with bigger fish. Did you find them strong Scottar? I liked the look of them too, and hate the bloody net getting in the way all the time, so good to hear it is a worthwhile investment.

Compared to your normal folding landing net they feel solid but as with anything that moves I dont think they would be as strong as a fixed net. Certainly no dramas for my application but I think if I was heading up the dams chasing barra I would leave it at home. I carry a small gaff as well for anything genuinely large. The net was aimed at flathead, bream, squire to a few kilo and whiting. That said it will get a place in the big boat for offshore as well where I normally don't carry a net because they are a PITA. This one will live sedately in the side pocket until required.

OK, that's good advice mate, thanks. something for me to save up for.

i won one of these landing nets on ebay yesterday they started the bid at $104 and no one except me bid on it .It was the large size priced at $140 hopefully its good and like you say they dont take up any room

I've had one for a couple of years now. Great if you don't have much space. I've only used it on Bass and it does the job well.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

yeh it looks good the only thing is i should have got the next size down but thats the only one they were selling oh well it will do

I still haven't used it yet it's to big for my boat I need the next size down will sell for what I paid for it or swap next size down

Nice report Scottar and its great to read something pleasant and positive.
    I will probably buy one base on your report as I often fish off a jetski and am sick of the current net towering in the air like a radar deflector.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

How do you think they will go for longevity?
    is there much friction on the net as it goes in and out?

i havnt looked at any, but love the idea for the tinnie.

Cheers
    Rob

The net has seen a bit of use and is still going strong. The only issue I have come across so far is that they have a "right way up" when they are retracted. There is a bit of friction on the net as they go in and out. A cure for this would be if the end of the tube was flared but this would also add to production costs. One of those things to just be mindful of. Even if I only get a few years out of it I would still buy another as it just sits on the floor and behaves itself until required unlike a standard fixed net that catches anything that moves. The medium size has proved more than adequate thus far for snapper to 3kg and flatties to 65cm being the largest occupants.