Thread: Stern mounted leccy

Stern mounted leccy

Gday all, thinking of getting a electric motor for my 4.15 horizon but rather than go to the trouble of getting a bow mount as im looking to buy another hull in next year or so im wondering how a stern mounted leccy would perform?, it would be used for re positioning boat along sand banks ect in the passage, is stern mounted a cheaper option and do they work well or is it better to just go the bow mounted?. cheers

Re: Stern mounted leccy

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Gday all, thinking of getting a electric motor for my 4.15 horizon but rather than go to the trouble of getting a bow mount as im looking to buy another hull in next year or so im wondering how a stern mounted leccy would perform?, it would be used for re positioning boat along sand banks ect in the passage, is stern mounted a cheaper option and do they work well or is it better to just go the bow mounted?. cheers
    Hi a few years ago I bought a 5mtr webster twinfisher that had a electric motor mounted on top of the cav plate of a 90hp four stroke honda it had been used for impoundment fishing and the four stroke was used to get to the area then the electric was used to fish using the normal steering of the honda. hope this helps John

The transom mounted motors don't help much for holding in the current, as the current pushing the bow around. It's much better to have a bow mount pulling the boat into the current. The Cav Mount motors are not very good in current either. If you must do it on the cheap, you can spin the head around on a transom mount motor and mount it up the front and use the hand control.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Yep you can still get them... use your normal steering but leccy..

Thanks for the info , how much is it to get a front mount for a leccy if I go bow mount?, its only because I am looking at changing hulls over next 2 years or so that had me thinking stern mount...

I had a stern mount on my 4.5 Savage. In any sort of breeze on the dams we had to go everywhere backwards as they can't stop the bow being blown around at slow speeds. I then put on a minn kota I-pilot. The difference is more stark than night and day. In my opinion, just get the bow mount , mount it on a removable bracket and take it the next boat when you go. The stern mount is better than nothing at all but really can't compare to the bow mount.

With a stern mount you will be spending most of your time steering and positioning the boat rather than fishing. Yes they are much cheaper than the bow mount but now where near as effective for a fishing application. As mentioned above go with a bow mount with the removable bracket and just take the motor with you when you go.
    Regards to all Dick

Have a look at the watersnake range. Much better build quality than the kotas. Their electronics are encapsulated in the motor unit and tinned wiring throughout. Their after sales service is excellent they will even talk you through diagnosis and if only simple part required they will sent it express courier. If factory return they send courier to your place to pick up and return.( Free)
    Only weak point I have found is the props if you are fishing in heavy timber but they are only $29.
    http://www.dinga.com.au/watersnake-s...bow-mount.html
    Be extremely careful if buying ebay chinese motors most of them are rated at maximum thrust for short periods only ask to see a copy of spec sheet before purchasing
    Cheers
    Ray

Blog Entries

Hey Alleycat

I had the bow mount iPilot and I can tell you there is no comparison as far as the functionality and ease of use. I got a 55LB for less than $1800 (shop around. I can give you details of where I got mine if you PM me). A very helpful member on here helped me rig it up and get a bowmount plate on the front (but it wouldnt be too hard if you are handy.)

If you are looking at having a leccy on your current tinny for 12 months to 2 years I tell ya get an iPilot if you can get on. You can get a quick release bracket for them ($140 if I recall)

When you sell the tinny take it with you.

The spot lock feature alone is worth it. Never used my abchor again once I got it.

Good luck mate.