Thread: Red Emperor - best months to fish for around Wide Bay

Red Emperor - best months to fish for around Wide Bay

Just wondering if any experienced fishos around Wide Bay/ Fraser have any advice in the preferred time of year to target Red Emperor. Originally from Mackay and we seem to pick them up in spring/summer so keen to understand if same times further south. Cheers.

Re: Red Emperor - best months to fish for around Wide Bay

Mate, I'm no expert, but I'd say it would be starting to hit prime red time now

A friend got a good one a couple of weeks ago off rainbow.

Thanks for the replies. I see on the wicked fishing site plenty of trip reports and articles around October November so wondering if the same time as up north. At home now is our peak flathead season but down here seems bit more like August September.

Hi Beard,

Red Emperor can be targeted all year round but there are certain times of the year I do favour. Sept- Nov are the months I prefer but March-May can be good also. I find the fish become more active and feed better during these months which can increase your chances of catching one or many.

As I mentioned you will get them all year round so don't just fish around the months suggested. Time on the water is the important part so fish all months and take advantage during the better months.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Greg Lamprecht

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.