Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your catch worth?

Re: What's your catch worth?

We eat fresh fish, calamari and crabs pretty regularly in my house. Its quite rare when i don't have some fillets in the freezer ready for a feed. Down to the last whole fish at the moment, but anyway....

My eldest son, who is 24 came to Aussie Seafoods a while ago with me when I dropped buy to get some cheap mullet fillets for bait. He hadn't been in there for some years.

While i was lined up he was looking at the whole fish and fillets...... Then as we left he said to me, "bloody hell, a small just legal snapper for $35 each!??! We must have easily eaten $200 worth the other night ....! And what would that big one you got have cost?!!!".

I doubt whether any of us on Ausfish would eat anywhere the amount of seafood we do were it not for catching our own.

it would be hard to justify the expense?! Strange, but true. Spend lots of money on boat, bait and fuel, but not on buying fresh seafood. Weird, hey!

Here's a thought: Can you EVER see yourself going into a seafood shop and walking out with a 180 liter esky full of prime reef fish?

and even if you did, would it taste as good and fresh as ones you've caught yourself?
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Smile Re: What's your catch worth?

Mines PRICELESS...................

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Hhahahaa.... Fair call ..... I am somewhat immune however. The missus packed up and left, I only fish out of a yak now after having had to sell the boat and the flattys have been firing..... Ahhh the simple life.....
    My catch so far I think is about $2500.00 a kg and worth every cent.
    I was hoping to get out this afternoon and caught up with you but my mates fence had to come down due to new one going up, so a little stuffed after 2 days of ripping up old crap and didn't go out.

I recon as I slowly approach that top 20% mark each year my cost per Kg must be slowly getting towards the $2000/kg mark lol.

I think that will be one of my goals for 2015. Get an accounting ledger and record every part of my boating costs for my offshore boat over the year and document the catches on the 'revenue' side of the ledger. Will be interesting to see the outcome at the end of the year.

Would be great if I could get a few others to do so and compare the results around Christmas next year.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I recon as I slowly approach that top 20% mark each year my cost per Kg must be slowly getting towards the $2000/kg mark lol.

I think that will be one of my goals for 2015. Get an accounting ledger and record every part of my boating costs for my offshore boat over the year and document the catches on the 'revenue' side of the ledger. Will be interesting to see the outcome at the end of the year.

Would be great if I could get a few others to do so and compare the results around Christmas next year.
    Don't even think of it or else you will start selling those old rods, reels etc you have stored and never go fishing again. There is more to it than just catching the fish regardless of cost, my niece will not eat fish from any store or restaurant anymore after she tried mine. I think we generally look after our fish better and ice them down and take greater care than any commercial operation and this makes all the difference.

It's called 'Added Value" which is why is so expensive

about once a year or so i go out on a party boat out of glouster, mass. (i live in the u.s.). on a good 12 hour trip offshore i can bring home 10-15 kg of cod, haddock, hake, filets. at market, that would cost about $20-$30 kg, making the take worth $200-$300 or so. on a good trip.
    the boat ride is $85, motel about the same (couple guys per room), plus 600 miles of gas in a ute.
    you can break even on a trip.
    the mates will filet your catch for you, but after a 12 hour trip, they've been busting thie back for 14 and have a few hundred fish to process on the way in so, well, they handle them pretty roughly. i now gut and gill my own fish as i catch them and put them on ice to filet at home. a much nicer product if i do say so myself.
    that being said, fishing out of my tinnie on local lakes and rivers is pretty expensive if i tried to calculate the worth of my catch. but, like so many have said, you can't put a price on the experiance. i prefer not to know what it might really cost in hard earned dollars.
    just before sunrise on an early summer morning, mist rising off the glass smooth water, birds singing, fish rising, water birds doing their water bird things... priceless!
    standing on a bridge
    watching water rushing under-
    neath it must have been much harder
    when there was no bridge just water

I don't often bring back this many, but last weekends trip got me 10 flathead.

Based on 44$ a kilo...

250grams of filleted flathead per fish... (i know some were cooked whole by the neighbours, but lets not get too technical)

thats 2.5kg - $88

Thats being conservative.

The ute would have used $50 of diesel. The boat.. stuff all - maybe $10. All tackle and gear already on boat.

So I am ahead a little

But you cant put a price on the health benefits of being out there on the water

Ray, you are broke (but happily so) as you forgot to add in depreciation and maintenance costs, in a business this is what makes it or breaks it. I still look at it from what price can you put on the joy of just being out there enjoyingthe surroundings and the company if you have it and of course the fishing. The old saying of a days fishing beats any day at work is still valid

What a stupid thread. Why dont you buy a handline and sit on a jetty, or just go rent a movie!
    Sorry to offend, but it needed to be said.

Ah, but you see I thought about depreciation. I owe nothing on the boat. And here is the killer - it has a Yamaha on the back. Therefore, it is an appreciating classic

Landlines on a jetty? Landlines, now there is depreciation if I ever saw it!

This thread is very useful. You can take on board a lot of comebacks if you are ever asked by someone "is it worth it?"

Only commercial fishos would potentially take this seriously.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by no chicken tonight View Post
    What a stupid thread. Why dont you buy a handline and sit on a jetty, or just go rent a movie!
    it makes no difference to whether or not I go fishing. Read the OP. It is curiousity only. Like you say go fishing regardless of whetther you can afford all the flash stuff or a hand line on a jetty. This was just trying to understand the price of seafood if you were to buy it rather than catch it. Not to justify if it's worth going.

Chill dude, go fishing hahahhaaaaa :-D

I think you missed the point or you are just fishing for a bite.

"Sorry to offend, but it needed to be said."

Didnt offend..... Didnt need to be said.....

The thing that needed to be said here is for gods sake don't let our wives see this thread lol

DOH! Bugger I have to add more as 4 characters is too short to post a message, all I want'd to say was DOH!

How much would you put on grinner fillets?

TOL