Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Snapper rigs

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Snapper rigs

Y1.jpgY2.jpgY3.jpgthese are now what i use they kill any other by far but not cheap they are called a yabai jig and you can tie the on hi or low for deap or shallow they come in 10 weights that i use
    cheers Hilly

What colors are more effective do you reckon Hilly?

cheers Nic
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The one i call Apple you can see it in my pic green and red and a little yellow mate that is devastating for most reef species emperor and sweet lip.
    cheers HILLY

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    Snelled rig floaters if targetting snapper or softies.
    That's what I use. Floaters on mono off a tld15 and plastics on braid
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Depending on what type of country you are working the Octo Jig can have a very short life on the bottom. Those twin hooks grab anything down there. Better off on the gravel or shell beds rather than rocky structure
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I agree with the standard paternoster rig causing a huge reduction in line strength. I found
    paternoster.jpg
    and it is definitely way stronger.

I'm not saying his strength figures are necessarily accurate, but in my experience it is a huge step up
    from the standard dropper loops.

3 way swivels are of course another option.

Duncan
    Last edited by duncan333; 01-06-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: images didn't work

Quote Originally Posted by duncan333 View Post
    I agree with the standard paternoster rig causing a huge reduction in line strength. I found
    paternoster.jpg
    and it is definitely way stronger.

I'm not saying his strength figures are necessarily accurate, but in my experience it is a huge step up
    from the standard dropper loops.

3 way swivels are of course another option.

Duncan
    I tried to follow these diagrams and ended up tied to the dog. Could not for the life of me figure out how he got a knot out of these... but my wife says I'm special...

Hi Sheik,

Each knot is basically a surgeon knot, with the line going to the rod going for another trip through the loop.

The bottom dropper will have two pieces of line being tied together, the dropper and the main line (1st line of illustration).

In the case of the upper knot, you will have three pieces of line being tied together. 2 pieces from the top loop (see 2nd line of illustration).
    and one piece for the dropper.

This may make no sense, but trust me the knot is stronger than the standard dropper loop knot.

Duncan

Ahhh that clears it up nicely

I use to do droppers and then just slip end of dropper through and over the hook. Line just keeps getting cut by hook.

i now use 3 way swivels. More tieing buy better result.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Ahhh that clears it up nicely
    Yep thanks Duncan. I tried what you suggested and ended up tying me and the dog to the jockey wheel on the boat trailer.

Hey Sheik, i know how u feel.
    knots and me not a good mix. Lol

Hi Sheik, I hope your dog's alright

I'm not actually a big fan of knots, but I spent some time trying different ones and testing them (i.e. tie to hook or swivel and find out when it actually breaks). I've standardised on a couple (as I'm sure everyone does).

I do have a good braid to leader knot (takes practice and is still a shit of a thing to tie (PR knot)) and I know at what point my leaders will actually break (always at a knot). So for my 30lb gear I have 40lb leader, which will actually break at 30lb (at knot to clip or swivel or hook). Then I can set my drag appropriately. I do similar on my lighter gear.

Of course if the leader is way heavier then the mainline (due to teeth, snags, gill covers etc, then which knot you use is less relevant.

The main thing that caused me to start all of this, was actually dropper loops. For me they would consistently fail at a fraction of what the leader was rated to.

Duncan

I picked up a heavier octo jig to try out wide in place of a paternoster sinker but at $15 a pop i think a squid skirt over a big barrel sinker might be a better option - at the rate I snag the bottom anyway.

I know its an ugly rig,
    but I tie a figure 8 knot at each end of 18 inches of rig, & slip a big 3 way swivel on.....
    3 hooks, 3 swivels, that means 4 times 18 inches of rig with a figure 8 knot at either end,
    did I mention it was an ugly rig.........but it works,
    built on 80 lb schnieder mono & 210lb swivels, I hardly ever loose a big fish now.

Muzz