Thread: Reel recommendations

Reel recommendations

I'm looking at setting up a snapper combo. Was thinking of 30lb braid and was wondering what size reel I should get? I have a 5-8kg rod and a 4000 reel currently. Is that big enough? I also have a TLD 25 but I thought that might be overkill?

Re: Reel recommendations

Where and what depth? In the bay I use a 4000 size reel spooled with 12lb braid on an 8-12 lb rod. My offshore plastic /tuna/mackerel rig is a 4000 ci+ with 30lb braid on a 15-30lb gloomis. Works well and never missed a beat also nice and light. If/when the dollars stretch far enough I would look at a 6000 or 8000 size reel for the tuna stick.

What you have is plenty for snapper (at least in the bay). I've caught plenty of snaps in the 80+ cm range on lighter gear than that.
    In fact, a couple of years ago I spent every cent I had on a similar sized combo (Egrell S10 Bear, and Certate 4000). I've barely used it in that past 18 months because I found it to be overkill. Absolutely beautiful combo though!
    Re: braid... 30lb is, again, heaps. That said, most of my reels are spooled with 20-30lb braid. However, I run long FC leaders in the 10-20lb range. the way I see it, if the monsters are about, it's easy to upsize the leader... and the diameter of a good quality 30lb braid is still really low.
    Cheers!

A mate and I both use 20lb braid and 20lb leader on 4-7 kg sticks with 4000 size reel in the bay and catch our fair share of good snaps. The most important thing is an excellent drag.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Fishing for snaps I use a shimano rarenium 3000 with 15pound braid with a shimano raider 3-6kg rod there is not to many fish in the bay that you can't handle with that also have a diawa ballistic with 20 pound on a terez 15-30 doe's the job well even on longtails .
    unless you are after kings or cobes around the beacons or art reefs these sort of outfits will get you more fish . It mainly depends on leader size IMO
    happy days ahead summer is coming