Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought my first brand new turbo diesel 4WD - any tips??

Just bought my first brand new turbo diesel 4WD - any tips??

Just bought my first turbo diesel 4WD, it's a 2014 holden colorado (6 speed auto)with the new 2.8 duramax turbo diesel. Being a newby to the turbo diesel world I wouldn't mind some comments advice from more experienced owners. I'm not a week end warrior I just wanted a new tow rig for the boat ( 5.3 meter quinny). Not sure if the off road thing is 4 me but I do like camping so maybe one day ( would need to be a windy day of course)

Seems to be a lot of issues on chat boards with all the new common rail diesels does anyone think they have the ability to turn as many miles as the old school diesels or have diesels become a "consumerable" item. Would like any thoughts on how best to get a long reliable life from one of these new engines?

BTW have a good dual fuel 2004 hilux for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

BigE

Re: Just bought my first brand new turbo diesel 4WD - any tips??

Stay on top of your oil changes and be anal about fuel. Nothing kills the modern engines quicker than a bit of dodgy fuel and due to the way the fuel systems are set up the repair costs can be somewhat scary. If you ever do end up touring in out of the way places a secondary fuel filter/water seperator is a good idea. Some guys even go as far as running the fuel they buy in town through a filtering funnel arrangement. Personally I don't bother but I do always fill at the same servo. Look into Holden's position on biodiesel and be aware that some of the smaller chains do contain up to 20% biodiesel. I did run it in my Navara with no issues but haven't with my cruiser.

The other thing to consider is fuel additives. There is much debate around the requirements for something to control diesel bug. Personally I've never had a problem in 20 years of driving diesels but I am sure others may chime in with different experiences. The other thing that is often brought up with additives is lubrication. Apparently since low sulpher diesel was introduced it now has much less of a lubricating effect for fuel system components. There have been many debates over the best way around this - some of the additives supposedly address this, I personally add a mineral 2 stroke oil at a ratio of 200:1 and some say nothing is required. All I can say is that the engines I have added it too did seem to run quieter so I am contiuing with the practice. Do yyour own research on this and make up your own mind though.

The other things to research are a catch can and the egr system specific to your vehicle. I am not sure if there is a Colorado forum but this will be a good place to start.

Thanks Scottar , your thoughts seem logical and make good sence to me - Clean fuel and good oil, never heard of diesel bug ??? seen plenty of additives for diesels any other thopughts on these? never heard of the 2 stroke oil tip.
    thanks
    BigE

My 08 hilux has 212000 km and no problems yet touch wood. I always buy from same place and run vortex premium diesel and do all my own services every 10000. Gunna start doin every 8000 from now on tho.

Diesel is hydrophilic and as such can get an algae/bug in the tank. In my first diesel (15 years ago) I used to put a dose or two of diesel power when she started blowing excessive black smoke. Haven't bothered with the two turbo diesels I have since that one. I find if you do the oil changes at the supplementary as well as compulsory services they go forever.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Thanks Scottar , your thoughts seem logical and make good sence to me - Clean fuel and good oil, never heard of diesel bug ??? seen plenty of additives for diesels any other thopughts on these? never heard of the 2 stroke oil tip.
    thanks
    BigE
    BigE,

Diesel Power as already mentioned seems to be a pretty common one but when you go to your local auto shop there's plenty of them. The two stroke thing was apparently first used in some Trans USA thing by Mercedes I think it was. They were running their diesel against a hybrid to compare fuel economy. At any rate the supposed best ratio was a 200:1 rate. The oil must be a mineral base oil - not synthetic or apparently it can seperate. I use Castrol Activ 2T. Like I said though, whatever if anything you choose to use - do your research as it's your engine. Don't just take my word for it.

Regards

Scott

Change your oil and filter every 5000km turbo's love clean oil, put a pre fuel 10 micron filter clear bowl before your main fuel filter. If you do get a pre filter don't install it under the bonnet, install it under the tray or somewhere so you can visually check the bowl for water, and all the other things like no towing heavy loads in 5th gear, and let your turbo cool under a load. You don't want to cook the oil in your turbo that oil lubricates the bearings.

thanks Dog tooth . never thought about cooling down the turbo should imagine they get pretty hot under load. My understanding is the 2014 collie has a water cooled turbo, i can see how a cool down would be a good thing. How long is long enough to cool down the turbo and not boil the oil?

BigE

It will depend on what you have been doing. If you are just normal driving through the suburbs a minute should be heaps. I have gotten into the habit of just driving easy the last minute or so then about a 30 second idle down before shutoff. If you have just pulled off the highway or are towing I prefer at least 2-3 minutes. All my previous rigs I have fitted a turbo timer. While technically they are illegal to use in the manner that I did - Lock car and walk away with engine still running, they make the idle down a much simpler task. I haven't done it with the 200 because the bloody thing is too smart - won't let me lock the doors from the outside with the engine running. If you are going to fit one make sure yours isn't the same.

I have the 2013 Collie. The above info is pretty good. The new model engines run a synthetic oil ( mostly ) and services say change oil every 15,000k's. I will do this until 100K then do it every 5,000. The fuel issue is critical, installing a filter and water seperator is spot on. I have the Diesel Care filter installed after the standard ones ( Collies have 2 inline filters between tank and engine ) and am running a 2 micron filter ( standard filters on these are 10 microns ). info here:- http://www.dieselcare.com.au/filtration-systems

My suspension started to sag at about 30,000k's , but I knew this would happen and I am now running full EFS gear. Turns a good car into a great car. Call your dealer to see if there are any call backs.... I had a front suspension one. Further, keep an eye open on the seals... diff, front axles and transfer case. All three have been replaced under warranty on mine.

No new car is perfect, but value for money, I believe the Collies are tops... enjoy and please take note of the fuel filter comments. If you need a recommended installer, pm me .

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

IF YOU HAVE THE TIME go and have a look at my 60 series landcruiser page you will see some cruisers that have done over 1 million klms food for thought.
    cheers G.R.HILLY.

Have been doing some window shopping and have found a 2 micron diesel filter with a sight bowl and a german made poly catch can with a filter and valve to put in the ERG line to prevent sludging up the intake. both look like high quality components and appear to be well designed.
    Any thoughts on looking after the collie auto ? does anyone have any information on the type of gearbox it is so I can google it?

Thanks BigE

Phil
    what the ball park $$ on the EFS fit out? was the change worth it?

BigE

It is worth the change due to better ride, better towing, increases height by 50mm and the 100K warranty, and of course Australian made and backed.

Unsure of a price on yours, but a quick call to Brett or Eric on 32902533 and they will know the cost off the top of their heads..

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

With the auto BigE, do a bit of research into an oil cooler for the transmission. The other thing I find useful on my cruiser is a product called a Scangauge that plugs into the diagnostics port. It basically gives me a trip computer as well as real time diagnostics on the motor and a temp gauge for the auto. I think they are available from a company called Ample Outdoors. Check and see what info is available for your specific vehicle though because it does vary from one to another.