Thread: Some interesting weight measurments

Some interesting weight measurments

I'm working on a project that involves making two custom built rods from the same blank, one to a customers specs (that's you Moffy!) and one a personal build to see how much weight I can cut off the build without being silly and still get a good rod that looks great and fishes well. I'll also compare to the factory built version. I'll write about them more later but as part of this process I started weighing all my guides and a few other components along the way.

Some very interesting data I just got.

In the Fuji MN frame there is a greater than 40% weight reduction when going from a size 10 to a size 8. You wouldn't think that when looking at them side by side. There are similar weight reductions in the larger guides percentage wise which is expected as the frame sizes change a lot. The weight reduction from a 12 to a 10 is in the low 20% region so nowhere near as much as when going from 10 to 8.

ICMNSG weigh less than CMNAG, BMNAG and MNSG.

TORZITEs are around 9.5 to 12.8% lighter in the comparable Titanium K SIC.

A Fuji rubber butt cap in size 19, fairly standard for baitcasters, is a whopping 17.3 grams compared to an EVA butt cap of only 5.8g.
    Eva grips weigh a lot more than what I thought too. A fairly slim Fuji rear VSS grip for a size 17 seat is 18.6 grams. Some other interesting stuff too..... Stay tuned....

Re: Some interesting weight measurments

HMMM interesting are you going off quoted data for the torzites? I just picked up a set of daiwa ags guides they are rediculess i havent got a set of scales that can weight them.Now im going to have to buy some scales because im curious.The whole set of 9 plus tip weight about the same as a 16 titanium k single foot. The are going on an iron feather.
    Graham

No mate I'm weighing them on an Analytical balance to 4 decimal places. It's gets an annual calibration check with NATA certified weights etc.
    it would be able to weigh those AGS guides very accurately.

Where did you get the torzites from?
    Graham

Got them from Mudhole. To me the biggest advantage is the ability to step down a size in the smaller frames. 10% saved on a comparable Titanium SIC is not that much but it becomes worthwhile when you drop a frame size as well.

Mate look forward to seeing the finished products.
    CHEERS AND BEERS

Silicon Carbide is very heavy.
    Torzite is a trade name for a proprietary ceramic material.
    Making the rings thinner would account for the difference.
    SiC is easy to find comparative data on, but Fuji doesn't seem to have released recognized data like MOHs hardness or specific gravity, so it's hard to tell how much is marketing.
    http://www.kowafuji.com/TORZITE%20press%20kit.pdf

Light is good (when kept within reason) and Fuji usually get it right. My only concern is durability. A super light guide with a popped out ring is not worth a cracker when you're miles from nowhere.
    Sounds like you're onto it, but don't fall into the bullshit some US forums go to with weight.
    Pretty sure most of them fish with their remotes

Cheers
    Owen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

I hear ya mate. At the end of the day 10% of stuff all is still stuff all so worth noting when you get down to really small guides. I'll give an update later when both rods are built which will be a while yet but it has been a good learning experience. I'll see if I can post the weight data soon at least.