Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Yalta Craft Owners Meet and Greet 2014

Exclamation Yalta Craft Owners Meet and Greet 2014

The date is 18-20 July 2014. The last weekend in June was too busy as there is JT's Cap Coast M&G and the Bundaberg VMR fishing comp that weekend. Moving it into July gives us a little more time to get organised.

Ok so far 4 boats. All 555's too.
    Remember everyone if we are rafting up we will need fenders....
    Last edited by ozynorts; 21-05-2014 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Updates
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Re: Yalta Craft Owners Meet and Greet 2014

Yeah bloke,

as as you know, I will be there.
    Can't wait wait for the show and tell.

Thanks
    Rob

Looks like just the two of us so far mate.....

I'm in ozynorts, of course! Already got a crew.

Sweet Julian, awesome. Lets drum up the troops now.

Now if we can just get one of these organised for the raft up in Musgrave.
    http://www.bbq-donut-boat.com/

Seeing as I limit myself to just clicking on the "Member Control Panel" and then logging back out most of the time, I was wondering why there were no updates on the date your guys were going to agree on..... to find another thread. No biggy, found you again and would love to make the trip if you'll put up with me My mate Pete (WRXHAVOC on here) and I are keen as, just need to put in leave applications and we will be OK I think. We have already started talking about the logistics. Some of the questions we have.....

• Are you planning day trips, then back to base ( in which case we need accommodation, a caravan park will suit us, I can bring a Gazebo and two man tent attachment and we will be fine) or rafting up out there to sleep overnight? Or some of us pitching in to rent a house?
    • Is everyone similar to my 555, 150 Ltrs underfloor? If you are carrying extra fuel, how much extra? We have another 60 Ltrs without buying more Jerry cans than we already own.
    • Ozy, being the local up there are you likely to catch mostly live bait? reliably? If we don't need to sink the Yalta carrying a trawler worth of bait that would be a good thing! Or I could bring up a tonne of my own jigheads and plastics and do away with bait altogether But I want to catch fish the tried and proven way up there.
    • Some idea of rod/ reel capacities would be good. Leader material/ breaking strains. I could just bring all my rods and reels, but that will add another few KG to the towing weight..

Sorry for the questions, I have only ever fished 1770 on a charter many years ago before the road was sealed, using hand lines and rubber tubing over the index finger.

Thanks in advance.

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Seeing as I limit myself to just clicking on the "Member Control Panel" and then logging back out most of the time, I was wondering why there were no updates on the date your guys were going to agree on..... to find another thread. No biggy, found you again and would love to make the trip if you'll put up with me My mate Pete (WRXHAVOC on here) and I are keen as, just need to put in leave applications and we will be OK I think. We have already started talking about the logistics. Some of the questions we have.....

• Are you planning day trips, then back to base ( in which case we need accommodation, a caravan park will suit us, I can bring a Gazebo and two man tent attachment and we will be fine) or rafting up out there to sleep overnight? Or some of us pitching in to rent a house?
    • Is everyone similar to my 555, 150 Ltrs underfloor? If you are carrying extra fuel, how much extra? We have another 60 Ltrs without buying more Jerry cans than we already own.
    • Ozy, being the local up there are you likely to catch mostly live bait? reliably? If we don't need to sink the Yalta carrying a trawler worth of bait that would be a good thing! Or I could bring up a tonne of my own jigheads and plastics and do away with bait altogether But I want to catch fish the tried and proven way up there.
    • Some idea of rod/ reel capacities would be good. Leader material/ breaking strains. I could just bring all my rods and reels, but that will add another few KG to the towing weight..

Sorry for the questions, I have only ever fished 1770 on a charter many years ago before the road was sealed, using hand lines and rubber tubing over the index finger.

Thanks in advance.

Scalem
    I think the plan is to spend the night in the lagoon at Lady Musgrave. There are some moorings in the lagoon and they can take a few boats rafted up no dramas. Personally I'm spending two nights out there.

In regards to fuel, last year I used 170ltrs to go to Musgrave then to Fitzroy and lots of sounding and drifting in-between. My trip to Lady Musgrave for a over nighter only consumed around 130ltrs and I went out wide and was also in some rough conditions. On my boat I carry 4 25ltr jerry cans. I store them at the rear of my boat and keep the 1mtr eskie in the middle of the cockpit area. I also have a 150 4strk.

I have herd that livies can be hit and miss. I did not get any in Sept. Bait we used generally were mullet strips, hussar, pillies and squid. There are alot of pickers in the area so bait can go quick at times, specially when the hussar move in.

The whole time there I used a Tyrnos 20 matched with a 24KG rod. I used 50lb braid and either 60 - 80lb Black Magic leader, depending on the ground we were fishing. My deckie was using a Tyrnos 30 and an 18000 stella.

I'm only talking from previous expereince, which isn't much, but I did bring home fish. :-)

Thinking about the general plan. I would suggest a time to meet at the ramp Saturday AM. Then we can all launch and follow out to Lady Musgrave. Then we can head into the lagoon so people who's first time it is there can get the track marks to get back in. After that we can go wreck havoc on all the fishes before heading into the lagoon by sunset and enjoy some "joys". The alternative is to head North to Fitzroy instead of Musgrave, I'll leave that up to you guys, but it'd be my preference, I just think the fishing is better there. We even caught a few trout of the mooring at Fitzroy.

--julian

Thanks in advance.

Scalem
    Hey mate, as Julian has said the plan is to stay offshore in Lady Musgrave Lagoon on the Saturday night. If everyone wants we can do Fitzroy instead but we would need to be sure that you get in there before dark as there are some sneaky bombies and sand bars around. We have time to decide and can even make the call on the day as it is only a 5km difference in terms of distance from 1770.
    Both Julian, Rob (rtp1984) and myself have 555's, Julian has the 150 4 stroke and mine the 115 2 stroke.I think Rob has the 115 4 stroke. I generally carry two 20lt jerries as reserve fuel but then I don't head wide once out there. The best trip for fuel I have done is 180km on 145 lt in glass conditions.
    Livies can be hit and miss. There are some marks for them that I can give you. I am not set up for them so don't use them yet.
    I have 3 rods that I use. One is a TLD20 with 50lb braid and 100lb leader that is if we strike any big stuff and I use it for trolling also. The second is a Penn 950 with 30lb/60lb braid/leader. That is mostly for bottom bashing and any jigging. The last is an Okuma with 30/60lb again that is my light bottom and casting setup. I am planning to go to 40lb leader with that one soon to see how that goes. I also take tackle for most things. Trolling, bottom bashing, jigging etc. We went out the other week and it was hard work finding fish on the bottom but there were Yellowfin every where so we ended up throwing slugs and had a blast catching them. Oh yeah I have 2 hand lines in the boat as well just in case.......

You guys make me sick, with all this Musgrave/Fitzroy talk!!! I have withdrawl symptoms...
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Also guys if you know of anyone that has a Yalta that isn't on AF let them know about this. Lets get as many as we can along. If you see one at a ramp go and have a chat.

Thanks Julian/ Ozy

you guys have already answered a lot of my questions that's gold thanks. My motor is the F115 Yammy 4s so the extra 60 Ltrs should be fine, might buy 1 more to give me a chance to go wide for some reds maybe. I'll think about that some more. I also have a TLD 20 on the old 24kg Wilson live fibre, a fin nor 12-24 lb jig stick with penn 7000 and 8000 applause reels. 4-8 lb drop shot plastics rod with straddic ci4 reel which should bring a few up as light as it is. All offshore lines are in similar breaking strains so should do ok.

And...... It would be nice to find a good servo up there at a reasonable price, so I can tow the boat up dry and fuel up closer..

Scalem

The cheapest fuel will be in Bundaberg. You still have to travel another 90 minutes up the road after that.

Thanks Julian/ Ozy

you guys have already answered a lot of my questions that's gold thanks. My motor is the F115 Yammy 4s so the extra 60 Ltrs should be fine, might buy 1 more to give me a chance to go wide for some reds maybe. I'll think about that some more. I also have a TLD 20 on the old 24kg Wilson live fibre, a fin nor 12-24 lb jig stick with penn 7000 and 8000 applause reels. 4-8 lb drop shot plastics rod with straddic ci4 reel which should bring a few up as light as it is. All offshore lines are in similar breaking strains so should do ok.

And...... It would be nice to find a good servo up there at a reasonable price, so I can tow the boat up dry and fuel up closer..

Scalem
    I just fill up at Agnes. The extra 250KGs or so the extra fuel would have added really helps for towing.

For those leaving from Brissy, my crew plans to leave Friday night and sleep once we're at the ramp, then wake up early Saturday for lanuch. If people wanted to follow up, that'd be great.

I agree, my TD 2.8 Pajero needs all the help it can get. Plans to sleep close to the ramp is Very much a possibility Julian. My crew lives at Caloundra , might arrange to meet you at a yet to be confirmed servo or bus stop once I have Peters esky and gear loaded. I will be leaving shailer park to caloundra and then onwards from there. Not sure what time you were thinking though, after 3 on a Friday night is a be arch ( predictive text but I like it!)north of the gateway.

Scalem