Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Yalta Craft Owners Meet and Greet 2014

Re: Yalta Craft Owners Meet and Greet 2014

Current forecast for Musgrave /Fitzroy is 15-20kn sat...is there a plan B?
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

Quote Originally Posted by Deiter View Post
    I guess that plan B is up to all those that were going to be doing the long drive up here. Have a chat amongst your selves and see what you come up with.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Deiter View Post
    Another piss up at yours mate... Get Chong down, it'll be Christmas in July with all the snow flakes around.

we just got back, weekend weather had the wind at 10 - 15 supposed to be dropping at midday friday, it blew 15 - 20 and didn't drop till midnight Friday, Saturday was good, but going on the weather I would say you boys might get sunday arvo of nice weather and that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    we just got back, weekend weather had the wind at 10 - 15 supposed to be dropping at midday friday, it blew 15 - 20 and didn't drop till midnight Friday, Saturday was good, but going on the weather I would say you boys might get sunday arvo of nice weather and that is it.
    Still a bit too early to tell. Will be waiting till Wednesday/Thursday to make the final call.

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    Another piss up at yours mate... Get Chong down, it'll be Christmas in July with all the snow flakes around.
    That could be on the cards...
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

Got a text from Tim to suggest following close behind Julian ( especially through the bar) might give me smoother water

Things to weigh up logically.
    • The wind won't be in our faces, we will likely be following ( more or less) but going across it. Taken slowly, this might still be manageable although without a side clear on the drivers side the captain is likely to get a bit soaked. It's conditions like this I wish I had trim tabs to stop the boat from listing on that side but likely to get a few hull jarring potholes
    • Swell height predicted to be just over a meter - not too bad.
    • Provided we can keep a steady pace, while slow, fuel economy will be OK
    • Once we get there surely we can fish on the lee side of the island until wind dies down?
    • What's the bar likely to be like in those conditions? Noticing that at 1st light the bar will be half way on the way out ( ugly combined with wind chop) with a low at about 10 which is when the wind might be dropping. Don't really want to hang around to fish the creek till then do we? Pete and I are still keen based on the current forecast, but need to err on the side of not knowing this waterway.

Crashing Damos place might be a good plan C if the predictions don't improve

Watch what happens in the next couple of days.

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Got a text from Tim to suggest following close behind Julian ( especially through the bar) might give me smoother water

Things to weigh up logically.
    • The wind won't be in our faces, we will likely be following ( more or less) but going across it. Taken slowly, this might still be manageable although without a side clear on the drivers side the captain is likely to get a bit soaked. It's conditions like this I wish I had trim tabs to stop the boat from listing on that side but likely to get a few hull jarring potholes
    • Swell height predicted to be just over a meter - not too bad.
    • Provided we can keep a steady pace, while slow, fuel economy will be OK
    • Once we get there surely we can fish on the lee side of the island until wind dies down?
    • What's the bar likely to be like in those conditions? Noticing that at 1st light the bar will be half way on the way out ( ugly combined with wind chop) with a low at about 10 which is when the wind might be dropping. Don't really want to hang around to fish the creek till then do we? Pete and I are still keen based on the current forecast, but need to err on the side of not knowing this waterway.

Crashing Damos place might be a good plan C if the predictions don't improve

Watch what happens in the next couple of days.

Scalem
    Both times I've gone out have been in bumpy conditions with wind around 15knts Southerlies. It is doable, but is a slow trip. Tim is right, if you want smooth waters follow me out. Last time we did this with a 5.3 allycan following behind me. We took 3 hours to do 100KMs to Fitrzoy. We first headed to Musgrave then once in smooth waters headed north. I still had enough fuel afterwards. The bar is a washing machine and doesn't break much.

The forcast so far says it'll be OK from 10AM on. So I'm still keen. As I said earlier I'll make the call Wednesday/Thrusday. All figners and toes crossed for this one.

yeah you will be sweet, just don't trust that wind prediction, as I said, it told us was dropping at 12pm on Friday, didn't eventuate until 12 midnight. I reckon Sat will be crap, and Sunday alright for you boys, have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    yeah you will be sweet, just don't trust that wind prediction, as I said, it told us was dropping at 12pm on Friday, didn't eventuate until 12 midnight. I reckon Sat will be crap, and Sunday alright for you boys, have fun.
    How did you go mate?

nothing spectacular but got a box of fish CBF uploading the pic.

Allow some extra time for travel from Brisbane - 3 or 4 roadworks sites crawl right down to being stopped for up to 15 mins at a time according to my neighbour who's sister lives in Bundaberg.

Scalem
    Last edited by Scalem; 14-07-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Too long

Quote Originally Posted by Prowl n Wolf View Post
    How did you go mate?
    He thinned put the Hussar population......
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Yeah Ozynorts, and the tuskie population

Don't bet on it... We'll be having fun _one_ way or another. It's christmas in July after all.