Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDS12T - Interference

HDS12T - Interference

i am having what seems to be interference appearing on the screen.

how critical is it to keep any other cables away from the LSS2 Ducer?

Splash
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: HDS12T - Interference

Its not usually a problem. Your pics are a little hard to see as they are taken of your phone. A screen shot from the unit would be a lot more helpful.

Is it all the clutter through out the screen or the brighter white haze around the running line of the boat?

Have you just installed?
    has it been like this since it was installed or just started.
    was this happening on more than one trip

Nick
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.

yes, it is all the clutter through out the screen.

installed in dec last year, but only 3rd time in use.

yes, it has been like this since it was installed.

yes, this happens on every trip.

can you explain what all these lines are on each photo?

splash

To see if noise turn everything of on the vessel one thing at a time. Ive run transducer cables next to 100s of different hv/rf/dc/ac cables and rarely experienced an issue. Try factory reseting your unit. Put clutter filter on highif still cactus return to dealer.

Cheer

It looks weird with the 4 running lines in the middle of the water column can you get a pic of the transducer placement. Also check what you have your noise rejection set on as well
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.

thanks guys.

i am fishing tomorrow morning and will try those tips and report back.

should noise rejection be on or off?

i have the minn kota mounted on bow - will the bubbles from the prop affect the lss-2 ducer as they migrate down to the stern of the hull and onto the ducer?

ducer mounted portside - but i am advised that it should not matter which side if running at low rpm. correct?

splash

To me it looks like you have something mounted close to or just below the transducer this is why a pic of the transducer placement would be helpful.

Your electric will throw bubble trail down the hull when in use. It can also create interference if you run power to head unit from same battery as the leccy.

It is recommended to fit to starboard side but it is more important to fit where it is going to get clean water not behind strakes and below other objects like other trannys or intake pumps as all these will affect your readings. On flat transom boats quite often the leg of the engine can affect the picture.

Noise rejection I usually run on low. Have a play with it and see if it changes the picture.

If nothing changes tomorrow take some screen shots on your unit. Just push power and pages button at the same time and it will take a screen shot.

When you are running on the electric do you trim your main up out of the way?

ok, just arrived back from a monster fishing expedition, wild and wooly and amongst crocs, floating logs, 8m tidal current, sun, mozzies ..... and HDS12T screen snapshots... but NO fish :-(

attached are 2 screenshots i took today.

1st screen snapshot shows when the elec motor is running at bow - with outboard out of the water.

2nd screen snapshot shows when operating with outboard and elec motor out of the water...

contrast set at around 72%.

i also used a brand new LSS2 ducer which was sent to me by the sleet this week.

i spoke to a fellow fisho at the boat ramp and i explained to him these problems and he suggested it could a fault related to an earthing issue.

thoughts
    splash

and,,, here are some photos showing LSS2 ducer and it's relative position to everything else on the transom...

Looks to me that your lss2 transducer is to far away from the other transducer. They should be within 30cm of each other and, ideally, both on the starboard side with the lss2 being lower and inside the other transducer...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Looks to me that your lss2 transducer is to far away from the other transducer. They should be within 30cm of each other and, ideally, both on the starboard side with the lss2 being lower and inside the other transducer...
    This should only affect the overlay. Not produce noise. In the picture we can see a P66 Transducer. Is it attached to the Lowrance or is it off a different sounder. If it is off a different sounder, try turning that sounder off. If you have any other gear like bait tank pumps or other electronics running try turning that off too. Also check your sidescan transducer. I have seen them crack when the bolts attaching them to the mount are done up too tight. Double check all your connections. From there the best course of action is to start swapping bits until you find the issue. Over the years I have seen pretty much any component even down to a power lead generate noise on sounders. Good luck with it.

thanks boys.

any other thoughts from others would also be appreciated..

peter4. the p66 ducer you see is connected to my furuno sounder which is turned off whenever i use the hds12T. this p66 ducer does not integrate with the hds12T in any way.

sure, ideally the lss2 ducer should be on starboard side, but at very low speeds it does not matter - and also the fact that i see the same interference with the outboard turned off - so any perceived turbulence effects from the outboard prop. is taken out of the troubleshooting diagnostics...

no other electronics is operating.

scottar - is what we are seeing - noise from other power sources?

could earthing be an issue here?

is everybody sure this is only an interference related issue and not a ducer position related issue?

splash

Hi Splash,

with the noise it could be external or internal. Unfortunately no real way of telling until it is isolated. "Earthing" falls under checking your connections. Make sure that none of the wire listed as "no connection" are inadvertantly shorting to anything. Just looking at the photos and with the fact you tried the unit on the drift, I don't think it is transducer location. Take a bit of a look at your cable runs to make sure that no damage has been done to cables while they were being pulled in. Do you have a transducer on the Lowrance itself. If not, have you told it as such to shut down it's internal sounder. Just throwing ideas out there. This sort of thing really comes down to trial and error and can get really frustrating. Was it purchased through an Aussie Dealer?

thanks scottar.

what do you mean "listed as no connection"?

i checked where the cable runs where i installed the new ducer (and new wire) last night - all good as far as i can see.

yes, the lss2 ducer is connected to the lowrance hds12t.

what do u mean "shut down it's internal sounder"?

yes, purchased through an aussie dealer...who is aware of this and has offered to have it seen back - but i want to make sure i have considered everything else before i do return it... because the same thing may just re-occur with another unit...and nothing has been gained.

splash