Thread: Fitting a snorkel

Fitting a snorkel

After a bit of advise,
    I am wanting to get a snorkel fitted to my 02 Pajero. Rang around getting some prices and looking at around $700 fitted. Got online and i can get a a kit to fit it for $115. Looking at maybe taking it on myself..I am no dummy but no mechanic either......What do ya rekon..........
    JN

Re: Fitting a snorkel

A cheap snorkel is Cheap,
    Poor fitting instructions is usually just the start,

Drilling a hole in your guard is the most daunting, get it wrong and you are stuffed,

For me, spend the money and get a quality snorkel, you dont have to pay for fitting, but at least it will come with good instructions

Have a look at the relevant 4WD sites The Nissan Patrol one is excellent and has covered fitting these well in the past.

Check this out http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...p?106-Snorkels

Cheers Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks Chimo,
    I am going to have a crack at it. ....
    JN

I fitted one to my old Hilux no worries.
    As stated above the hardest part is drilling the first hole.

Most ebay snorkels dont come with instructions, but you can find them on the Pajero club forum.
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/

I got an ebay one for my gen 3 Paj then paid an installer to fit it for me. Still came out at less than half the price of quotes for a safari or airtec. Quality was pretty good.

I've also heard of people getting a shop to drill the holes, then doing the rest of the install themselves. If you dont already have the correct size hole saw, it can be a cost effective option.

here ya go. I found them for ya. Post nine has a pdf for fitting instructions.
    http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...l+instructions
    Last edited by SummerTrance; 15-05-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: found the link

I bought and fitted a cheapy to a hilux I had. The quality just wasn't there and for the few hundred bucks I saved I regretted not getting a safari.
    fitting them up isn't hard but it is a bit of a pain. I had to take off the wheel and pull out the inner guard and relocate some stuff in the engine bay on my install so there's a bit to it depending on the individual car. The hole saw I bought for the job has never been used since and cost $100 as well, so a bit to think about before just diving in and saving a dollar.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Well well well, not so easy........Thought o would tackle it on the weekend but thought wrong. Removed the current air intake, removed the filter box, no drama. Then realised that the snorkel would not fit in the hole already in place in the ingine bay, whcih ment i would have to remove front panel of truck to cut hole bigger. No worries, i can do that. Then it just grew more and more. Would of had to take off front wheel, remove inner gaurd by trying not to to break little plastic clips that hold it on, broke two then gave up. Then relocate wiring to side indicator, then relocate other wiring in the engine bay that was in the way. .....After a couple of beers, alot of head scratching and alot more of " how is it going dull" from the balcony, i put it back together and will leave it to some one else...........
    JN

JN

Good on you JN. It takes a wise man know when to pull out of a job.
    Reminds me a comment an old boss of mine shared with me. " Its not what you earn that counts, its what you spend it on!"

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................