Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha vs. Etec

Re: Yamaha vs. Etec

What size Yalta? 555 (2000) or 615 (2200)? 2 stroke or 4?
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

whatever is around at the time, would prefer a haines 580 SF, don't care about engine, whatever a good second hand one comes with, a lot I have looked at have yammie 115's on them, so would probably put my 150 on it and the 115 on current boat then sell it.

Greg i think bris Yamaha at Burpengary are quintrex, try them for a package deal if you don't already have a quote from them.
    they were cheapest by $800 for my 70 4s

After my experiences with Suzuki and their piss poor warranty and having multiple yamaha's and experienced their action on warranty and how they go about repairs is what impressed me the most and the reason I personally would stick with Yamaha. Don't get me wrong they all have their fair share of problems and I can only vouch for Yamaha's warranty over Suzuki's but you do have to take into consideration that although you are chasing reliability you also need a good warranty and service when that unfortunate time comes when you break down.

tell the guy who said the Etec 40 would beat a Yamaha 50 he is dead set dreaming. Those 40 Etecs run like a 2 cylinder 2 stroke. Thats because they are a 2 cylinder 2 stroke. I would take a punt and say the Yammie 40 4 stroke would kill the Etec 40, plus it will be smoother and quieter and wont have that weird Etec fume smell.

The Etec thing has been around a long time. I know personally of at least three total failures. I mean seized throw aways but I know other that love them. It's more than Etec and Yamaha. It's the difference between buying a US built outboard and a Japanese outboard. The US stuff is too inconsistant. I say to people would you trade your Japanese 4WD on a Jeep. I wouldn't. The later ones should be better but it's Japanese all the way for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Hi shawn
    how are u mate.yeah i think the 40hp will what i will end up with. I had a 50. 4 st yammy on last boat and loved it

cheets
    Going well thanks Greg. What, are you ditching the ski Mate?
    Shawn

I've got an 40 Etec on a 440 Quintrex side console and it has buckets loads of torque and I've never had a problem with the motor. I'd buy another one any day of the week.

Hi Shawn
    nah till got the ski.
    just need a tinnie to crab and fish around here. Just need a change.
    catching anything lately

cheers
    greg

Id happily trade my Japanese 4wd on an F18 hornet!

nothing wrong with USA built motors have a look at how many are running around over there trouble free, the ETec failures are pretty consistant with certain models, but i'd personally be going 4 stroke rather than DI in the 40-60hp anything over it would be 4 stroke or Optimax

seahorse the choice is yours had twin 130 e-tecs traded them in at 700hrs in that period i had done 4 injectors, 3 starter motors, 1 ecm, 1 flywheel and a couple of other problems cant remember now what the were,could not give motors away. Now have twin 150 4-stroke mercs 160 hrs not a problem and fuel burn is a lot better than the e-tecs. Thanks to mercury commercial on a special deal with the 150s i would have been lucky to get 9k for both e-tecs

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    Hi Shawn nah till got the ski. just need a tinnie to crab and fish around here. Just need a change. catching anything lately cheers greg
    Mate , Mainly been doing a fair bit of freshwater , last time out on the Pine managed to jag a nice jew . Good hunting mate. Shawn

I have been on several boats with etec's. They have all run sensationally - massive stonk for their size (better response by far off idle onto the plane and from low revs on the plane than a 4 stroke) and quiet. No smell. BUT, its like running a Ferrari for your everyday drive...if you are happy with that trade off then more power to you. For me I couldnt trust them. I would take a Yammy of any sought except a HPDI any day over an Etec. In terms of resale I would get offered for a trade on my 2000 115 Salt Water Yammy what you would get offered on a 2 year old ETEC of the same hp based on some comments on here. If ETEC was as bullet proof as a Yammy 4 stroke I would never look at a Yammy. I do doubt however whether an ETEC can get to that point given the technology and extreme lean running of the motor which requires oiling through the fuel/air/oil mix.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Etec's, white anchors, they are crap, as I have said, wouldn't touch one, wouldn't buy a boat with one on it (unless I could buy the hull only) steer clear, stay away, danger!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hainsofast View Post
    Etec's, white anchors, they are crap, as I have said, wouldn't touch one, wouldn't buy a boat with one on it (unless I could buy the hull only) steer clear, stay away, danger!!!
    So... how many have you owned that gave you major trouble?