Thread: Who's into "Pie r squared"??

Who's into "Pie r squared"??

Ripped the shit out of my 12ft cast net and have shortened it back to just under 10Ft. What the circumference now???? it was 55ft,(length of weights)

Also, those that know, do you stretch out the mesh as far as possible when stitching the weights back on???

cheers
    w

Re: Who's into "Pie r squared"??

Pi r squared is the area.
    Circumference is 2 x pi x r

Ben of Upstart

10 x 2 x 3.14159 = 62.8318 feet.

Your old net had 55 feet of leadline / 3.14159 = 17.5 feet diameter......it was under length for the drop.
    Jack.

well 55ft is what I got back. Maybe I lost some wrapped around a rock?

12 foot drop should have about 75.4 feet of anchor chain.
    Jack.

The formula to use is Circumference = Pi (3.14) times Diameter (C=pD) The Diameter of the net is the length of the drop doubled (12 ft plus 12 ft = 24ft) so the circumference of a 12 ft net is 3.14 x 24 = 75.36 ft.
    If the net is now 10 ft long the circumference is 62.8ft or about 19 m

As for attaching the mesh to the to the lead line - the net should have a double row of mono or thin string at the bottom - this is called the double selvege, the lead line is tied to the double selvege rather than directly to the meshes. If you have torn off the bottom of the net it is possible to reattach a new section to make the net 12ft again. If it is a custom made net - contact the person who made it and see if they will repair, if it is a store bought net, it will be cheaper to buy a new net than to get the old one repaired. I don't use "lead line" on the bottom of a net, I use chain on the bottom and I don't stretch the meshes out tight. If you want to repair the net yourself, ask around and see who has some off cuts that can be provided.

Cheers guys.

Blog Entries

Wayno it's all got to do with the speed of the wind over the grass.

001.jpgyou mean like this???