Thread: Finally moving to the GC

Finally moving to the GC

Well after many months of the house on the market we sold the house down here in Newcastle & have already purchased our new house in Pacific Pines.
    I will be dragging 4 boats up there with me now including my Tender, was hoping to sell a 1 or 2, but didn't turn out that way.
    But the more boats the more excuses you have to go fishing, specially since stale fuel can be huge problem lol.
    Already in storage up there now is my 12ft Poly boat, soon to follow will be the 6.2m Quintrex Coast runner & then later in the year will be bring the Riviera up by sea & that's one fishing trip I'm hanging out to do.

Plan to fish every reef between Nelsons Bay & Gold Coast & drag lures in between.
    Thought I might leave that till August / September for Snapper season.
    Should only be a 2-3 day run if I wanted to get up there fast, But I told the wife it is at least a 2 week trip lol.

Looking forward to learning from you guys where to start fishing up there, I love fishing in different places. But its going to be different not knowing anything when I get up there in 3 weeks time.
    Hopefully meet a few fishing nutz like myself my self & get out for a fish with a few of you guys over the years to come.

Re: Finally moving to the GC

Good news on you move to the GC, I guess if I said "A2 Props" You might guess who I am???? No luck in selling the Riv? I thought with your set up if would have sold by now.

Where do you plan to berth the Riv? I can not help you with any good fishing spots on the Coast, my kind of fishing is a bit more relaxed than others, usually just drop the anchor put out a big chunk of bait on a big hook on 80lb mono and try for a bull shark kick back and have a few beers

My advise to first time boaters on the Gold Coast broadwater is have good, up to date maps. The traffic on the broadwater can be hetic, with small trailer boats fishing in the channels, huge 60 foot plus cruiser with inexperienced skippers doing 30+ knots throwing 5 foot wakes followed by 20 jet skis trying to jump the wake, small sailing dinghies (who know they have right of way) tacking in front of you, and sandbars either side, your going to have fun.

Good luck with your 2 week cruise North, you will be doing it at the same time as the whale migration, that should keep you on your toes

I`m also looking to go down another size in props to A1 if you know of any for sale

Cheers Ian

Hi ian,
    Yeah mate that's me.
    I will be looking for a private jetty if possible.
    The marinas are just looking way to expensive although I've only spoken to Runaway Bay so far.

If you wanting to go down further, Maybe you should try what my mate has done, finds it really good.
    change only 1 of the props to an A1, Change the 4 blade to an A1 & leave the A2 of as the 3 blade.
    He has found that really good, still getting the pick up he needed to get up, but has gained an extra few knots at top end,

Yeah any help will be great thanks mate, I'm sure it wont take too long to get most of worked,
    Although I love chasing Kingfish & Snapper the most, but to lazy and old to jig for them.

I might know of a few private berths at Hope Island, my mate is in the process of buying 8 berths ranging from 11m to 15m, I will be moving onto one myself when they settle. Runaway Bay is right next to the Broadwater, it`s a pretty good spot, there is another private marina at Runaway Bay too where another mate keeps his 35 Bertram, (he just did a deal on a 36 Riv which settles on Monday) I have seen some private jetties at peoples house being rented out for around $60 per week which is pretty good.

I`ve got my Riv at Hope Harbour, which is at Hope Island, it use to be a fantastic marina until the new owners took over (same owners as Runaway Bay) and it has gone down hill very quickly and people are moving out just as quick, I paid $5040 in advance but got a 14 month deal instead of 12 months, I understand the new owners are no longer offering 14 month deals, I would not recommend Hope Harbour marina anyhow,

I have another mate who pays $4600pa to berth his 32 Cruisemaster at Horizon Shores which is a marina in the middle of nowhere, but he likes it

Keep a eye out on the Gold Coast Gumtree for berths / pontoons but just remember to ask about bridge access and keep in mind most of the Coomera River is a 6 knot
    zone

Congrats on the move mate.. The main thing you will find with the kingies up this way is that its just so so different to down south.. they come into the broadwater and chase small bait around the sandflats or ppl go out to the 50fthm mark to jig them.. i haven't found them anywhere in between.. weird!! The spanish,spotties,cobia,small blacks etc etc etc will make up for it though.. As will the trevally, mangrove jacks, tarpon etc etc in the rivers..
    BTW.. 4 boats, ya poor bugger must be a terrible problem lol, I had two boats for a while and am now spewing i sold my tinny

Try Calypso Bay Marina - nice spot.
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies