Thread: Mud cab habits

Mud cab habits

Just after a bit of info from the long time mud crabbers out there - was up around Kauri Creek a week ago, tried the creek but too busy and nothing in the pots. So went out a bit wider and picked up 6 keepers overnight. Sounds good yeah? But all were half full and thin shelled. All were out on the sandy flats. I was hoping for sandies but not a single one. So the question is do muddies have specific times for moulting and if so when? What is the best time to get full muddies? And why were they out of the creeks? Had not been much rain so this really challenged my understanding of where you catch muddies. Any comments or similar experiences really appreciated

Re: Mud cab habits

Keen to hear feedback on this one as to whether there is a certain season or moon phase. I know closer to November a lot of the females head out of river mouths etc..... find more in the open water due to spawning, but as far as "when are they full" I'm not sure.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

Re: Mud cab habits

Went out and got a dozen good muddies and 10 or so sandies in the same pots last weekend (a couple of sandies didn't enjoy the close quarters overnight lol) in the broadwater and all crabs were absolutely chocka full, a couple even had barnacles growing on the shell.

We threw back a couple that were too nice and clean looking so they must of recently reshelled?