Thread: Lowrance Mystery- any ideas?

Lowrance Mystery- any ideas?

So I have a Lowrance LX27c sounder/GPS combo and a Lowrance Globalmap 7000. Both are hooked up through an NMEA 2000 backbone including a LBS1 and external GPS reciever/anntenae.

My problem is the GPS is getting the "GPS module not responding" signal most of the time. Now and again it will work for a bit then it will go off.

Easy you say- the antenae is rooted. Thats what I thought and still do, however the thing is the last time I was out I switched the LX27c over to GPS mode and it is getting a reading no problem while the Global map is still showing "GPS Module not responding". So my initial thought was the LX27c has an internal aerial it is running off but from what I have read in the manual, it too runs off the external LGC3000 antenae.

So if it is working and the lobal map isnt then can I rule out the antenae as the issue. If so any suggestions what may be the issue?

I intend to get my hands on another LGC3000 to see if it makes a difference but not willing to spend over $100 on it if I am not sure it is the problem.

Also the LX27c would not show the map. I switched the Navionics card from the Global map into the LX27c but the map would not come up. I tried it in both card trays and nothing. Any idea why this might be happening?

Re: Lowrance Mystery- any ideas?

Hmmmm. Still likely to be a stuffed external GPS antenna I think.

The LCX would look for the best available GPS signal, and if the external antenna isnt working, it would revert immediately to its own internal antenna.

You could test that by unplugging the stand alone GPS antenna and see what happens.

i cant recall - does the Global map also have its own internal antenna?

i would also check the data sources in the Global Map network menu. See whether it is set to use the external antenna. If it has an internal antenna, reset it to "local" and see what happens.

hope that helps.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks mate will give it a go. I suspect the LX does have an internal but I dont think the Globalmap does. I will look and find out but.

Cheers

Cam,

the gps antenna failure is a fairly common issue.

looks like the lcx does not have an internal antenna.

http://www.lowrance.cn/en/Products/M...pecifications/

with the global map and the map card, you need to set the map in the configuration, not sure if the unit was reset or something.

Regards
    Honda.

Camhawk
    I've got a perfectly good LGC 3000 as a result of replacing my LCX37c with a HDS10Gen-2. (Just tell me what's fair).
    It's my understanding that the LCX's didn't have an inbuilt GPS antenna which is why we all bought LGC 3000 externals (unlike the HDS Gen-2 which does have an internal GPS antenna).
    Having said that, it's worth checking with Lowrance over the phone (tech support on 13000navico). If there is an issue and your machine is not too old, you may be able to replace it with a HDS at a heavily discounted price.
    Also consider the Point 1 GPS fluxgate which is ultra-ultra fast and accurate in terms of headings. Perfect match with the HDS
    If anyone is interested, I've also got the LBS (broadband unit for the LCX and related series).
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    So I have a Lowrance LX27c sounder/GPS combo and a Lowrance Globalmap 7000. Both are hooked up through an NMEA 2000 backbone including a LBS1 and external GPS reciever/anntenae.

My problem is the GPS is getting the "GPS module not responding" signal most of the time. Now and again it will work for a bit then it will go off.

Easy you say- the antenae is rooted. Thats what I thought and still do, however the thing is the last time I was out I switched the LX27c over to GPS mode and it is getting a reading no problem while the Global map is still showing "GPS Module not responding". So my initial thought was the LX27c has an internal aerial it is running off but from what I have read in the manual, it too runs off the external LGC3000 antenae.

So if it is working and the lobal map isnt then can I rule out the antenae as the issue. If so any suggestions what may be the issue?

I intend to get my hands on another LGC3000 to see if it makes a difference but not willing to spend over $100 on it if I am not sure it is the problem.

Also the LX27c would not show the map. I switched the Navionics card from the Global map into the LX27c but the map would not come up. I tried it in both card trays and nothing. Any idea why this might be happening?