Thread: cania dam redclaw?

cania dam redclaw?

Hi all I am just wondering if there are redclaw in cania dam. I will be taking my shrimp pots . Just not sure if it is worth taking my redclaw pots.
    Does anyone know if redclaw are in this dam in any numbers like somerset . Thanks Shane

Re: cania dam redclaw?

We stayed at Cania a couple of years ago, I was told by one of the staff at the caravan park that the dam did not have red claw.I was dissapointed as I took pots.

Plenty of redclaw in Cania.
    We were up there for Easter last year and averaged about 15 redclaw per pot per drop. We experimented with different baits (all of the usual suspects) and found that although everything worked to some extent, dry cat food pellets had the highest catch rate.

Attachment 102374
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Ok thanks for the responses pipifin and giffo65, i guess all I have to do is throw the pots in and have a go. I will let you know how we go in about 8 days time. Thanks again Shane

Looks like the bloke at the park told me Furphy, the kids want to go back to Cania, so will take the pots next time.

Quote Originally Posted by pipifin View Post
    Plenty of redclaw in Cania.
    We were up there for Easter last year and averaged about 15 redclaw per pot per drop. We experimented with different baits (all of the usual suspects) and found that although everything worked to some extent, dry cat food pellets had the highest catch rate.

Attachment 102374
    I have never heard of using dry cat food = how did you use it in the pots ?

And what was your favourite way of cooking them ?

Thanks Scotto
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Hey Scott

I'd never heard of it either, it was my brother in-laws idea. We used (his) stockings cut and tied a handful in 'em.... worked a treat.
    We simply boiled them the way you would crab. My neighbor swears by pickling them.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

I have been using dry cat food for a few years now and it works a treat, cheap and easy to store. I put them in a small container with holes drilled in it and attach various vegies to the top.

Paw paw, rock melon, tomatoes, half boiled potatoes all work well for bait.