Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worksharp Knfe n tool sharpener

Worksharp Knfe n tool sharpener

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Work-Shar...-/310717359477

Now, would any of you fishos or keen knife sharpeners out there own one of these tools???. I for several years have been sharpening my knives with Japanese water stones which i find give a brilliant edge but it takes time and patience to hone your knives.
    Came across these tools which get rave reviewes and just ordered one see if they stand up to their name??...

Re: Worksharp Knfe n tool sharpener

Looks a bit too harsh for my liking. I'll stick with a bench grinder water wheel and a diamond steel.

It should be a good tool. Just take it easy as you get the feel of it, and I think it will be brilliant for taking the shoulder off a knife.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodoo haven View Post
    It should be a good tool. Just take it easy as you get the feel of it, and I think it will be brilliant for taking the shoulder off a knife.
    My thoughts exactly. They supply two sets of belts, 2x80 grit , 2x220 grit & 2x6000 grit. Was thinking to maybe only use the 220 & 600 grit belts ..The 220 grit to take the shoulders off my knives and the 6000 for polishing??..
    Think the 80 grit would be far too harsh?? and wont know till i see the belts and give em a test but am told you can get more variety of belts??.
    At present i use an 800 grit,1200 grit and 12000 grit waterstones and although they do an excellent job i thought the new toy would be good to shorten the process a tad .
    My 12000 waterstone at present puts a mirror like finish to the edge of my knives and with my eyesight getting a tad on the downhill side i think this definetly will come in handy for attaining that initial edge (Hopefully ), and worth the $$ 's spent to find out..

I am sure it will do a good job for you.

I have had the bench grinder with a water wheel for many years, recently got one of these and have found it a big improvement over the grinder.

http://www.dx.com/p/convenient-kitch...3#.U0Tr8MKKCUk

Bremic , that was my next xhoice but was unsure how steady they would be and how long it takes to finish of a knife edge??..A workmate onnce brought in a simmillar tool into work for a squiz and found it just a little unsteady though wasnt same as yours.. How do you find yours?? steady, and quick or take some time to aquire a good edge.
    I know with my waterstones i can get a good keen edge but it does take some time ey but have been using them for so many years now and when i'm a tad bored i just dunk em into a bucket of water for halfe an hour and then get into some knives..

keep useing your stones and get a good steel, once you have a edge just use the steel thats what the butchers and boners have allways done for a long long time.

Let us know what you think Vovlo

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    keep useing your stones and get a good steel, once you have a edge just use the steel thats what the butchers and boners have allways done for a long long time.

I have several steels, i have made up homemade ###### for a polished honed finish , i have tried several other different stones before confessing that the waterstones were best to none , and still on the quest to take my sharpening one step further for ease of doing it quicker if not better ...
    Part of the challange is it not ???...
    Same as Fishing , never too old to learn or get there easier..

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Let us know what you think Vovlo
    Will do for sure , As they say if you never never go, you will never never know lol"

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Bremic , that was my next xhoice but was unsure how steady they would be and how long it takes to finish of a knife edge??..A workmate onnce brought in a simmillar tool into work for a squiz and found it just a little unsteady though wasnt same as yours.. How do you find yours?? steady, and quick or take some time to aquire a good edge.
    I know with my waterstones i can get a good keen edge but it does take some time ey but have been using them for so many years now and when i'm a tad bored i just dunk em into a bucket of water for halfe an hour and then get into some knives..
    There is an American chap making these, called the Edge Pro, or Apex. The Apex is sold from his website for $200US plus. The Chinese(bless them) have produced the copies in my previous link, I landed mine for $40. I didn't have any great expectations, and thought it would most likely fall apart after the first couple of uses but have found it sturdy and reasonably well built. There is a bit of a knack to using them, but once you get the hang of it, I have found it really good. There are several videos on the EdgePro website to help you get the best out of it.

The first time I used it I was slow, learning how to use it and setting a new edge on the knife. Once the edge is set though, it is only a couple of minutes to touch it up with a finer grade stone. I find it far quicker than with the standard bench stones.

Bremic , what the , i might just go ahead and order one of them also lol. Cant have too many Boys Toys in retirement too keep one busy can we..
    Tell me ?? how long does it take you once yourve gotten used to it to get your edge set up ??..Mainly talking with Filleting or Kitchen knives here ey..

5 minutes a side on a large kitchen knife, using the coarsest stone will reset the edge. Then it is a matter of running through the finer grades of stone to finish it off. Of course, when I got the hang of it, I had to do every knife I could get my hands on.

I have found some here at a better price for you.

http://www.##########.com/category/1...harpeners.html

This one gives the appearance of being better made than the one I have, and have previously linked to, as it seems to be entirely made of steel.

http://www.##########.com/item/Profe...772660449.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    5 minutes a side on a large kitchen knife, using the coarsest stone will reset the edge. Then it is a matter of running through the finer grades of stone to finish it off. Of course, when I got the hang of it, I had to do every knife I could get my hands on.

I have found some here at a better price for you.

http://www.##########.com/category/1...harpeners.html

This one gives the appearance of being better made than the one I have, and have previously linked to, as it seems to be entirely made of steel.

http://www.##########.com/item/Profe...772660449.html
    Mate thsoe links arent fully showing up or connecting???..

I worked in the meat works for 10 years long ago and I bought a knife vice that bolts to a bench and you flip the knife to stone each side it worked really well ,I guess it depends on what knives your sharpening all the time and a sharp knife is better then a blunt one no matter how it's sharpened with the tools out there these days
    SEALEGGS