Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Worksharp Knfe n tool sharpener

Re: Worksharp Knfe n tool sharpener

Just to make you knife experts cringe, my sharpening skills usually involve a bench grinder, or a scrape on the concrete path, try as I might, I just can't master sharpening tools or knives, I get by, but only just!

Ausfish Platinum Member

Wet stones for me--usually carry a round axe stone in the tackle box, long stone for sharpening ashore. I've owned a number of diamond stones, and they certainly put an edge on, but they are stuffed in a month--i don't over-use them, just a couple of very light swipes each side of the blade, each time, but a couple of months is max. I bought an expensive one with handle before I went away for our annual big trip last year, only using it once a day, worn out before the trip (month) was done.

I got a Nirey electric sharpener for Christmas actually. Half a dozen passes and the knives are arm shaving sharp - probably not as sharp as using my Norton oilstone or Japanese waterstone but good enough to be serviceable.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yes some of those electric sharpeners do get a sharp finish but the trade off ,of metal removal with really good knives worries me a tad ey.
    My waterstone collection has now quadrupled or more after doing a couple of reviews on waterstones and doubt i would use an electric sharpener on any good or near good knife any more.
    have set of Choseras , Shapton and Cerax stones along with a few other strays in the process and if you want a smooth stone with great feedback that loads up real nice try the Cerax's ..
    And no more steeling , bought some Rootail leather and turned up a few ###### and what a difference to steeling!!??....

Agreed. My good knives still get the stones but the $60 set in the kitchen get the sharpener. People cutting on ceramic plates (cringe) mean they get regular runs on the Nirey. When they wear down I'll get a new set.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I have just seen this wetstone grinder, another option for somoeone wanting assistance with sharpening.

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W859

Nice but does it come with variouse grit wheels??..

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I've got a Worksharp sharpener. Had it for a while now.

Works well but I wouldn't use it on my expensive Japanese knives. It can take metal off a fine blade pretty quick if you're not careful.

For sharpening up the knives on the boat though it is perfect. Quick and easy when you don't feel like getting the stone out. Even handy for really blunt knives to get a head-start with the Worksharp before finishing on the stone.

I'm not concerned about it heating up knives as some have mentioned. It's not that aggressive, your knife will get hotter sitting out in the sun.

Overall a worthy purchase in my opinion.

To be honest, I have all but given up on knife art getting the perfect hone and edge.
    I might give a new knife an appropriate hone once, then after that all it gets is a few licks with the diamond steel then about ten licks with the ceramic steel.
    Takes me all of about 4 seconds to refresh the edge for the job ahead.
    I haven't needed to touch any of my wet stones or hard stones in years.
    Jack.