Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worksharp Knfe n tool sharpener

Re: Worksharp Knfe n tool sharpener

Been a member of knife Forums near as long as i have with Fishing Forums and the following is HUGE to say the least, Knife sharpening is a passion for sure and think always will be..
    Did check out the thread you linked us to and yes very interesting as is here ey...

Okay Gents , recieved my new toy today and how keen was i to get my mits onto it and have a play??!!!. Quite keen lol. Am i happy with it??, yes, will i send it back?? No, Would i use it on my favourite knives?? No especially with the 80 grit belt.. Would maybe use it with the 6000 belt but will wait till ive had a more hands on with it first..
    Value for money?? , For what else is out there ?? Dunno but not complaining about the price i paid here in Aus as its dearer to buy offshore and have it posted here..
    Willi be using it with my Filletting knives?? Yes but start off with the 220 grit belt , over to the 6000 and maybe a finish off with my 12000 waterstone???, Dunno will try fiirst and follow up on that one a tad later and if i happen to forget add a reminder to this post..
    Now will have to wait and get
    The simmillar tool that Bremic mentioned further up in the threads and see which fairs best at days end or which consumes less time for simmillar results..
    Will very gently try it on one of my folding pocket kannives and see how it performs there next ??...

20140301_174648.jpgon the bottom is a swiss-istor it rips off steel very quick to bring an edge worth working again its a bit rough but on your average bait knife it takes a couple of swipes and you got a good edge.very quick to eliminate shoulders that form.on top is a fine diamond to finish.this is what i use most except for my fillet knife wich i mainly steel and a quick touch with a fine stone sometimes.

And to top it off , just waiting for a new set of Naniwa Chosera Pro Waterstones . The ole King stones are getting a tad tired though still a bit of meat left on them and just need to flatten them level. Have had the Kings now for over twenty years and served me well , good feedback from those stones though you do have to soak for awhile which doesnt bother me none.
    Bit softer than what ive been seeing new or should i say dearer around the traps sharpening time might be a tad longer but still give a good keen edge , they load up well and can form a good slurry paste once soaked for correct time though there is an argument against forming a slurry on a stone ?? , so long as it isnt left too long i havent seen any dissadvantages to the fact .
    Still like the idea of hand sharpening with waterstones and will give feedback on the new stones once ive played around with them a tad ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    And to top it off , just waiting for a new set of Naniwa Chosera Pro Waterstones . The ole King stones are getting a tad tired though still a bit of meat left on them and just need to flatten them level. Have had the Kings now for over twenty years and served me well , good feedback from those stones though you do have to soak for awhile which doesnt bother me none.
    Bit softer than what ive been seeing new or should i say dearer around the traps sharpening time might be a tad longer but still give a good keen edge , they load up well and can form a good slurry paste once soaked for correct time though there is an argument against forming a slurry on a stone ?? , so long as it isnt left too long i havent seen any dissadvantages to the fact .
    Still like the idea of hand sharpening with waterstones and will give feedback on the new stones once ive played around with them a tad ..
    How long a soak?

Splash n Go , not a soaking stone as a true waterstone or at least like my Kings..

Splash n Go , not a soaking stone as a true waterstone or at least like my Kings..
    I meant your soaking stone

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    I meant your soaking stone
    Mate i soak the Kings from anywhere between twenty minutes and overnight . Not the polishing 8000 grit one though , it just gets a splash and a going over with a Naguru stone.
    Was going to order myself a sinkbridge for the new and old stones but a $1 from the Bunnings scrap bin and just made my own out of timber to hold the stones a little steadier.

Having said that , carefull with some waterstones soaking long hours as ive heard some stones dont take it too well for a long soak so start off with your twenty minutes or so and see how your stones perform . My Kings i havent had a problem with and think i get better feedback with a longer soak though my opinion only ey and have no complaints whatsoever as far as sharpness goes.
    Also let your stones dry off after a long soak by letting them dry off standing on their long narrow side.

Thanks for the advice man. Much appreciated.

I have a heap of knives that you can practice on 😆

Lost count myself on Filletting and bait knives i have lol , sharpening apart from wanting to do good at what you want to do is addictive ..
    Like the Holy grail of knots , Best method to castnetting .
    Best baits for Reds
    and the beat goes on lol

I was a chef in Melbourne for 40 yrs. buy a stone and a diamond steel No mechanical device ever touched my knifes. I still have the first ones I brought

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Guys without going to too much expense it is important to remove the shoulder from a new knife, then just a norton stone at 30 degrees and then steel it at same angle.
    Slaughterman since 1976 so i might have a clue..

Being a complete putz at sharpening anything, I just use a funny looking gadget that my mate gave me, it kind of has a strap like handle that goes over your hand, and you just drag the blade through it, works pretty good for a bodgey guy like me, though I do like a nice sharp knife for filleting, usually just "borrow" one of my wife's kitchen knives, as long as she doesn't find out.