Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Worksharp Knfe n tool sharpener

Re: Worksharp Knfe n tool sharpener

any mechanical devices such as grinders and belt sanders produce heat and in turn softens the edge of what your trying to sharpen.itll be sharp for a little while but put it to work and soon youll be back on the sharpener.

Volvo

Spyderco make a very good easy to use sharpener that will give you a razor sharp edge at either a utilility angle of 22.5deg each side or fine cutting angle of 15deg each side of the blade. They are called the Spyderco triangle sharpener and will sharpened everything from serrated edges to fish hooks. I have one and can vouch it works. They are not a mechanised sharpening device and all sharpening is done by hand on ceramic stone. Before you buy anything these are worth a look.

Barley Hops

Thanks for that mate and yes have had a go with the spyderco as well... Mate purchased a unit and had a play with it..At days end i still think the wetstones/waterstones are the best for knife sharpening but time consumable which i dont mind so much but was in the interest of purchasing something a tad quicker for putting an initial angle/angles on the knife and from there i can still go back to the waterstones for a final finish.
    Also something a tad quicker for just the bait knives which cop a hammering..
    I was sometime back looking for a motorised waterstone machine but thought that may be taking the hobby side of knife sharpening a tad too far lol..
    Between the waterstones , worksharp and bremics post i think those three items may surfice???..
    Missus reckons i'll never be happy and still be looking for another toy...

Hanger yes you are correct with the heat ,
    Volvo attached is my setup for you to see as its just a for stoning and it gets the angles correct on both sides of the knife ,also takes shoulders back but more time is needed .
    A good steel helps also.Attachment 102442
    SEALEGGS

Quote Originally Posted by Killing time View Post
    Hanger yes you are correct with the heat ,
    Volvo attached is my setup for you to see as its just a for stoning and it gets the angles correct on both sides of the knife ,also takes shoulders back but more time is needed .
    A good steel helps also.Attachment 102442
    mate your attatchment doesnt open up??.. Want to try again??.

Attachment 102443Hope this works this time
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SEALEGGS

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121188769...84.m1438.l2649
    I bought this one awhile ago, a copy of a copy. Haven't really got the hang of it yet but getting there and it does seem well made being all stainless.
    Hope the link works.

TMC

Attachment 102443Hope this works this time
    Now that i like , you set that all up yourself mate???..Or a purchase job??..

Volvo I bought it years ago but you still can get them as I bought one for my father in law for a xmas gift 2 years back ,ive collected different stones over the years as well ,
    best ones I bought are from the old boys at the markets the stone where far better back in the day then todays ones .Mad cat they do take some time but when you have the feel for them they are like razers ,keep the knifes from your partners and out of the dish washers.
    SEALEGGS

Volvo
    Google scarysharp.co.nz
    this one is a kiwi made very simular to mine there is a short vid so you can understand how mine works and there one, difference is my one has up to 40 pitch angles on it that you can chose from .
    SEALEGGS

Volvo
    Google scarysharp.co.nz
    this one is a kiwi made very simular to mine there is a short vid so you can understand how mine works and there one, difference is my one has up to 40 pitch angles on it that you can chose from .
    Yes mate, see a vast difference between yours and what they have on their website now ey ?. Appears only one angle with the ones they show compared to what you say with yours.
    Can you still purchase sets with more sharpening angles or are they only old school sets ???...

Ive been a slaughterman since 1976 till present, the most important thing is to not have a shoulder on your blade and to have a decent steel.

To right ally cat I was a boner and slicer for some time years back ,
    Volvo you still can buy them there around $280.00 I think from a place in Tingalpa called Vadals Butcher supplies 073907 7879 you can sharpen all sizes of knifes and scissors in them yes it is up there in price but that's how things are some times like a dam good rod and reel .
    Also Volvo my style is different to the scary sharp bloke if you want to look, try it one day im happy to show you .
    SEALEGGS

Allycat, mate never worked in the meatindustry but alway had a passion for sharp knives going back years skinning fox , or even our own beasts we would cut up for the freezer et..Nowadays mostly with the fishing passion and filleting.
    Tried to always keep my knives as sharp as possible and took a likeing to waterstones as mentioned above. Have tried motorised wheels etc and yes you are right of what they do to steel but a long way home if you come across a very blunt knife or you are in the hobby of making your own knives which ive tried also but didnt stay with it...
    Nowadays as ye ole wrists get a we bit of artheritis and long spells on the stones get a tad painfull i look forward to anything that may shorten the timespan of sharpening my knives..
    Quite often now whilst bringing up a decent fish it sometimes gets quite painfull especially in the right wrist trying to hold onto the Fishing Rod but least of my woes looking past at other ills ive been over...
    Shoulders on knives?? works for some and dont for others depending on the knife ey..

Killing Time , might even take you up on that ever pass by your way but give these new toys a try first see how they go ??.. Have written down that number also thatwebsite...

Ive been following a similar thread on 360tuna and have been steered towards the wicked edge system.

http://www.wickededgeusa.com

On top of that I'm looking to get a harder boning knife and was shown this
    http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riarbokn16.html

There's some gear stuff in that other thread, it's worth a read.

http://360tuna.com/index.php?/topic/...ife-sharpener/