Thread: new toys

new toys

garmin clearVu modules and garmin gpsmap820's arrived yesterday. "a bunch of other models earlier last week" its like christmas

the CV module box is larger than i thought but weighs next to nothing. the side imaging transducer is a little bit shorter than the raymarine dragonfly transducer to give a scale of size

but overall. im rather excited ......is that concerning?

if you have any questions. more than happy to help

Moose

Re: new toys

GARMIN NO.1
    Right choice there mate, its good when all the goodies arrive.

Very nice and congrats , like the Garmin products also.. Question for you??? what strength are the transducers for those units and do they give good quallity info??. Reason for asking is that soon as my Navman packs it in i will be going for another Garmin unit.. Toss up between that and Fno 585??...

there are a few transducers available volvo. on the 751 i would recommend the tm150 chirp transducer at 300w. or the 600w chirp inhull for a bit more juice if coin permits. i think you would be nuts going to furuno over the garmin when dollars and features and form are put up against each other.

if you have any questions im happy to help

Moose

hey moose, how much better for sounding is the new echomap70s compared to my 551. I have a P319 through hull will that work with the new 70s. I am thinking of using the 551 as a plotter only with my elite 5 and use the 70s as my sounder, thoughts??

by the way nice toys, be interesting to see how they go.

thanks mate . all out of stock though. sigh they didnt last long
    yeah mate the improvment from the older 551 series units to current HDID is huge. the real let down on those 500 series was the sonar "and the resolution/refresh rate on the 551s" its a real marked improvment going up to the newer HDID 77/200 sonar.... or even the echomap70DV with the downvu benifits
    heres my old garmin 750s under the bridge at patterson river here in melb. with bream under me
    its like watching tetrist with the blocks.
    vrs the higher detail in the HDID Attachment 102366

yep . youd be doing yourself a favor

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    there are a few transducers available volvo. on the 751 i would recommend the tm150 chirp transducer at 300w. or the 600w chirp inhull for a bit more juice if coin permits. i think you would be nuts going to furuno over the garmin when dollars and features and form are put up against each other.

if you have any questions im happy to help

Moose
    Apprecite that and yes may have a few to throw your way when i'm ready to shop..

hey moose. the second pic doesn't seem to be working - gives the attachment 24987 thing (for me at least) - talking pic of sounder in action

that might be better not sure what happened then

thanks bud, do they still use the same 6 pin plug for the transducer?

no garmin has ditched the 6pin transducer "black piggyback style" for a blue 8 pin connector and a 12 pin orange connector for DV etc.
    the SideVU module box connects to the head unit via garmin ethernet

What does the 'wireless' capacity mean on the echomap? All I've been able to dig up on it is something about connecting to Apple products....(no thanks). Does it have the ability to wirelessly stream to, say, a (Android)tablet (via an app)? But not a deal breaker, but a nice-to-have
    Looking at options for the new boat, Raymarine A78 or Garmin Echomap 70 DV are grabbing my attention.
    And thanks for all your info on recent threads moose, I for one have found it really handy, cheers.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

yeah no worries. the wireless aspect is kinda a future proof thing. like the gofree wifi from navico and the built in wifi from raymarine garmin will have live streaming "Soon" atm its really only used for a few chartplotter apps . more for your larger cruiser market. plotting courses, waypoints etc and streaming them. garmins concept with this current gen "the echomap and gpsmap" is to futureproof them as much as possible. as a posed to realease new units every year "which has its benifits too" there concept is to make the purchase seem worthwhile over time.

one cool thing that should be appearing "not soon.. but... coming" is a weather and realtime data link to the headunit

for example in the US they have accsess to SeriusXm satelites for real time weather updates and overlay . this wont be coming to australia any time soon. the satelites just dont focus on us.

but satelites are REALLLLY expensive. so instead a pairing to a 3/4g enabled phone to use the phones download data to bring down from the internet real time weather "fishing reports, sports scores etc" to the headunit will be coming..

long term... headunits are going to get more interconnected and "Social" like everything else in this world. meaning we will soon see whos on the water. where. whats being caught. etc.....if... they elect to show themselves the future is bright!.
    which is why garmin "at least in my mind" crams there current series full of stuff that might not be fully utilized just yet.

nothing wrong with the a78 either, sold a fair few of them this week.

moose

Hey Moose,
    Is the 820 a chirp capable unit ?

Can you pm me some prices on the 820 setup and the 751 with 600w through hull chirp transducer please?

I currently have a 750s which I plan to keep dashmounted as my primary GPS. Im looking at a 2nd stand alone chirp sounder unit. ie: not wired into my boats ETEC command system like the 750s is currently.

Andrew