Thread: Bribie bridge night fish + fish ID

Bribie bridge night fish + fish ID

Hi all

Is this fish a snapper, bream, Perch...other species?

caught it under Bribie Island bridge last night.

the fishing was looking like it was going to be a cracker of a night. Hit the water at 6:00 pm. Slow at first but picked up later. Hooked two great fish that were peeling drag everytime they got near the boat only to bust me off on the bridge. Hate that scratchy feeling on braid. Had drag on as tight as I dared with 10 pound line.

Just as the fish started to fire a pod of dolphins turned up and the fishing shut down.

Landed several juvie moses perch and bream, some vermin and whatever the fish in the pic is.

first time night fishing the bridge and can't wait to get out and give it another crack.

one downside was a group of fellas fishing off the bridge. Saw many tiny bream hoisted up and not one dropped back down!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Bribie bridge night fish + fish ID

a slatey it a type of morwong i was out there to last night how did you go

Cheers Spud.

Not great once the dolphins showed up. Couldn't lose a bait and SPs were equally as unattractive to the fish.

how'd you go?

yeah i was right next to the dolphins i was on the mainland side of the yacht a few undesize snapper and sweetlip but the were hitting hard probably pulled in a dozen or so

Quote Originally Posted by WertzGoldCoast View Post
    Hi all

one downside was a group of fellas fishing off the bridge. Saw many tiny bream hoisted up and not one dropped back down!
    Yeah the "off the bridge" fishing thing is a real sore point locally. Not only are there no-fishing and no-diving signs (which people physically have been tearing down), they just fish anywhere they like, dump their rubbish, throw live and dead fish onto the pavement or onto the road (and passing cars). Then they like to take wide back strokes on casts and scare the shit out of passing drivers and occasionally they even drop a line in the main navigation channel and hookup a few boats and get spooled.

Problem is I think it's state gov't infrastructure, so MBRC local council, and local police just won't do anything about it cause it's not their responsibility

As for your fishid yeah it's what I'd call a slate morwong, we get them as bycatch when we're fishing for pearlies and snapper out in the deeper water. Would've put a smile on your face if that was a snapper Have seen some good sized fish coming out of the passage at night.

Good luck in the future !

Yeah, if they are willing to illegally fish a bridge, then I suppose they have no problems littering and ignoring legal fish size limits.

Quote Originally Posted by WertzGoldCoast View Post
    Hi all

Is this fish a snapper, bream, Perch...other species?

caught it under Bribie Island bridge last night.

the fishing was looking like it was going to be a cracker of a night. Hit the water at 6:00 pm. Slow at first but picked up later. Hooked two great fish that were peeling drag everytime they got near the boat only to bust me off on the bridge. Hate that scratchy feeling on braid. Had drag on as tight as I dared with 10 pound line.

Just as the fish started to fire a pod of dolphins turned up and the fishing shut down.

Landed several juvie moses perch and bream, some vermin and whatever the fish in the pic is.

first time night fishing the bridge and can't wait to get out and give it another crack.

Yep its a slate Bream (Morwoog) or even known as "The mother in Law" fish due to its poor eating quality. I nailed 3 x big suckers Sunday morning on Sunshine Reef. Threw them back as only really good as fish curry or Fish tacos, something to give them some flavour. The Tuskie and Pearl Perch I had in the esky taste a lot better